PDA

View Full Version : Kernel source how-to, anyone???

mcmackin
22nd November 2004, 12:55 AM
OK, I'm not too thrilled about the move away from a separate kernel-source rpm in favor of a kernel.src.rpm. It makes sense. The problem I'm having is that a VPN tool I use requires kernel source to be installed . I followed the directions in fc3 notes but it's still not satisfying the application. The funny thing is that a --nodeps allows the tool to install, but that the problem then resides in synaptic. Synaptic keeps calling out the dependency and won't apply any updates without removing the questionable app.

Any ideas or suggestions???

Shannon McMackin

macemoneta
22nd November 2004, 01:01 AM
The application is probably looking for the build directory in the /usr/src directory. I'd try:

ln -s /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-2.6.9/linux-2.6.9 /usr/src/linux-2.6.9
ln -s /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-2.6.9/linux-2.6.9 /usr/src/linux-2.6
ln -s /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-2.6.9/linux-2.6.9 /usr/src/linux

That way, if it's looking at any of the old locations, it will find the files it's looking for.

mcmackin
22nd November 2004, 02:48 AM
I had it linked to linux and linux-2.6. I added a link for linux-2.6.9 and the install still fails claiming the dependency for kernel-source. I'm wondering if the it's actually searching the rpm db for a kernel-source being installed as opposed to the actual tree.....

macemoneta
22nd November 2004, 03:07 AM
I'd suggest going back to the application developer, and providing the requirement that the application support the new (/lib/modules/2.6.9-x.y.z/build/) method for kernel dependent software. It shouldn't be looking for a source (or sourcecode) rpm at all anymore; the binary kernel is all that's needed for building software. The only reason for the .src.rpm is to build the kernel itself now.

If you have source code for the application, you can change the SPEC file or configure file yourself. It's a lot easier to get the developer to make a change if you provide a working sample.