PDA

View Full Version : Grub

rakeshgupta
4th February 2012, 05:03 PM
Hi,

I installed Fedora alongside with Ubuntu and used Ubuntu's Grub. So, on every kernel update of Fedora I have to manually make an entry in Ubuntu's grub.cfg.

Now, I have decided to install Fedora's grub. But the usuall grub-install /dev/sda doesn't work as my /boot/ in Fedora is empty.

Any suggestions are welcome

Thanks

DBelton
4th February 2012, 05:16 PM
in Fedora..

grub2-install /dev/sda

also, for grub-mkconfig:

grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

rakeshgupta
4th February 2012, 05:28 PM
in Fedora..

grub2-install /dev/sda

also, for grub-mkconfig:

grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

Thanks, It worked like charm. mkconfig is what I was looking for. :dance::dance:

smr54
4th February 2012, 05:49 PM
Note that now you'll have to update Fedora's grub when Ubuntu is updated. If using Ubuntu's grub, you didn't have to manually update the file, just run sudo update-grub.

In Fedora, it will be grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg, which you'll probably have to do now when you update any of the other systems on the machine.

VernDog
5th February 2012, 12:30 AM
Note that now you'll have to update Fedora's grub when Ubuntu is updated. If using Ubuntu's grub, you didn't have to manually update the file, just run sudo update-grub.

In Fedora, it will be grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg, which you'll probably have to do now when you update any of the other systems on the machine.

Ubuntu uses a link to the current kernel, so no need too, if that's what the OP did in the first place.