PDA

View Full Version : problem with sata raid

ftorres
21st November 2004, 08:47 PM
Fedora core 2 Installation not detect the sata raid array. disk druid shows the 2 sata disks (sda and sdb) but not the volume raid 1.

Motherboard: ABIT AI7
Raid Controller: RAID bus controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB (ICH5R) SATA (cc=RAID)
Hard Disks: 2 sata disk RAID 1 of 120GB
Kernel: 2.6.4

How can i do to install fedora 2 in this array??

Thanks

dayzed
22nd November 2004, 07:59 AM
Dissable the raid in the bios and use software raid when you install linux. I think for the most part their really isnt any hardware raid support for sata just yet. It is still mostly being developed. I have been told by redhat tech support that there really isnt any performance gain when using hardware sata raid cards over software sata raid with linux. I was also told it is not worth it because the software raid support in linux is much more stable.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong here.

Puggs
22nd November 2004, 08:06 AM
Dissable the raid in the bios and use software raid when you install linux. I think for the most part their really isnt any hardware raid support for sata just yet. It is still mostly being developed. I have been told by redhat tech support that there really isnt any performance gain when using hardware sata raid cards over software sata raid with linux. I was also told it is not worth it because the software raid support in linux is much more stable.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong here.

The problem is that WindowsXP (yeah i know) wont boot off a software raid drive, but it will boot off a hardware raid drive, so if you want a duel bood system you need a standard drive for the windows or linux boot.

dayzed
22nd November 2004, 08:24 AM
Puggs,

This question had nothing to do with Windows XP : )
But good point!

nebeleh
22nd November 2004, 05:48 PM
I have a MSI K8N Neo Platinum with Athlon 64 2800+, and now I'm using RAID 0 with two 120G SATA hard drives. I'm now using winXp and I want to install FC3 in addition. But unfortunately FC3 installer can't recognize my RAID controller, instead it sees 2 seperate SATA hard drives.
Is there any solution for this problem?

Puggs
22nd November 2004, 09:36 PM
I have a MSI K8N Neo Platinum with Athlon 64 2800+, and now I'm using RAID 0 with two 120G SATA hard drives. I'm now using winXp and I want to install FC3 in addition. But unfortunately FC3 installer can't recognize my RAID controller, instead it sees 2 seperate SATA hard drives.
Is there any solution for this problem?

I have the exact same problem with a Tyan Tiger and 3 sata, the only solution i can see is 1 more hdd, in ATA or S-ATA that is dedicated to FC3.

This question had nothing to do with Windows XP : )
But good point!

This realy wouldn't be a problem if people didn't also want to run WinXP raided, so even though it wasn't metioned it does effect what you can do.

Puggs

LaKing
27th November 2004, 01:27 PM
...I think these are all low cost low profile fake-raid controllers like the Adaptec 1210SA.
The Raid logic is calculated on the CPU, so the kernel needs to see the devices in the array.

hardware raid controllers are more expensive, but on them it should be impossible for the OS to see the drives in the Array. It should be 1 Raid device. (Adaptec 2440 and up.)