PDA

View Full Version : What's happened to Fedora Extras?

bryancole
21st November 2004, 11:48 AM
Can anyone comment on the plans and schedule for Fedora Extras?

The Fedora.us mailing lists have all shut down and there's no sign of any FC3 repository on fedora.us. Where's Fedora Extra developement happening? I'm just wondering what the plan is.

foolish
21st November 2004, 03:21 PM
Once more we're left with the "these things take time, you'll have to wait". However, in the case of Extras, I think it's worth the wait.

istvanb
12th December 2004, 12:14 AM
Well, I just about had it with waiting. I might start downloading Mandrake and go back to it... might even pay to join 'the club'.

And I don't get how other repositories have packages that seem to depend on packages from the fedora.us extras? Like DVB support:

I have used my extra partition on my HTPC where I record TV shows to install Fedora as I thought that I will now finally be able to use my dgital TV tuner under linux... guess what? No DVB kernel modules! I assume it will be included in the extras. Luckily I left Windows on its partition, so I can still watch stuff, but have no more space to record things. It's been over a month now that I'm waiting for extras.

I also can't scan on my HP multifunction printer/scanner/fax - On Mandrake all functions worked out of the box. But I might get that working soon.

Some will say Fedora is opens source, etc, etc... I understand that, but there's NOTHING on the fedora.us site to keep users informed of what's going on, but a single message written weeks ago. That doesn't fill me with confidence for the future. It looks like it's an unmaintained, dead site.

So, I'm quite impatient.

mullet_man_1971
12th December 2004, 05:16 AM
I was very unhappy with FC3 I went back to FC2 and am very happy with it.

Like i said not using FC3 but have you tryed freashrpms and dag for extras? not sure if they have updated yet eather.

imdeemvp
12th December 2004, 05:25 AM
I dont blame you guys....but we have to wait or do it ourselves.

Jman
12th December 2004, 10:14 PM
Like i said not using FC3 but have you tryed freashrpms and dag for extras? not sure if they have updated yet eather.
Most of the those repositories have been rebuilt for FC3.

istvanb
13th December 2004, 05:23 AM
Yes, the other repositories have been ready for FC3 from almost day 1. But some of their packages depend on stuff which I think will be in fedora extras.
I've been using Linux for 6 years most of that time I've been using Mandrake and moved to Fedora about 2 months ago (to FC2, then FC3) primarily because I saw there was so much ready and up-to-date software (rpm) out there for it.
Anyway, I do believe it will be worth the wait when the extras are finally finished... but it's funny that I have to go into the howto section on Fedora.us to see if there has been any progress, even though there is a 'news' feature, the last news is September 19. Hasn't anthyng happened since then?

cybrjackle
13th December 2004, 05:54 AM
I recommend using freshrpms & dag, I don't use fedora.us so why waste time waiting for there extras when you can get quality packages from dag/fresh?

imdeemvp
13th December 2004, 08:48 AM
Dag and freshrpm's do provide very good quaility updates for us the fedora users and I also use atrpms.

istvanb
16th December 2004, 12:30 AM
I do use freshrpms & dag, but they don't have the DVB kernel stuff. Livna (or whatever it's called) - lot of it's packages dependent on the fedora.us extras repo. - has some DVB stuff, but they depend on the DVB kernel module... which is not present enywhere. Anyway, I have all the major repositories (kept up to date) configured, but I get way too many failed dependencies.

Jman
16th December 2004, 09:45 PM
CVS access to extras is up, and an initial build of the repository is ready. See this.

istvanb
17th December 2004, 11:37 PM
Thanks. I'll check it out!

Belkira
22nd December 2004, 04:53 PM
rpm.livna.org main page says they built against Fedora.US extras for FC2, so you need to enable those repositories, not search for FC3 packages which don't exist. http://bugzilla.livna.org is where you would submit bug reports.