PDA

View Full Version : can't raise parent widows

duckpops
17th January 2012, 04:10 PM
hello fedora boffins.

I have recently upgraded from redhat 8.0 to fedora 14. everything has changed! it's all so obscure, if it wasn't already.

so my problem is, I can't raise the parent window once an app has created a child window. this is most frustrating when using gentoo file manager, for instance, with textviews that obscure the main panes needing to be moved constantly. it also happens in emelFM2, gimp, seemingly gtk apps. childs can be raised and lowered over other childs, but the parent stays under.

this behaviour has changed since rh8, and occurs in gnome, fluxbox, icewm, wmaker, openbox and I haven't tested fvwm yet. does anybody know how to "control" this behaviour?

thanks in advance, I go

duckpops
19th January 2012, 03:02 PM
I take back the gimp, that was a setting problem I did find ....

duckpops
24th January 2012, 02:52 PM
I take back taking back the gimp, it seems to be worst of the lot, not letting image windows cover tthe toolbox window.

anybody? any ideas?

duckpops
8th February 2012, 02:20 PM
as I wanted "gcolor" as opposed to gcolor2, I had to install gtk1 and its devel libs. this allowed gcolor to make fine, and also meant I could go back to an earlier version of gentoo file manager, which was my main window raising problem. and what do you know?

it works. seems someone somewhere changed the way gtk2 (or is it 3?) manages its childs, if that's what they are called. as you were people, the problem is not solved, but it has at least been pushed into the background for a while.