PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Giving admin rights to existing user

rpk2006
11th January 2012, 07:18 PM
I just installed Fedora 16 from Live image CD. After installation it asked to create a user. At this time I left the "administrator access" option unchecked and created the user. I was unaware that this is the only user I am creating and there is no administrator user displayed when I login.

I want to know how to make the default user, through which I login, an administrator user?

CrimsonKing
11th January 2012, 07:29 PM
There is always a superuser, so it is not "the only" user on your system.

rpk2006
11th January 2012, 07:30 PM
Than how to login with that password. It is not displaying the Super User name.

CrimsonKing
11th January 2012, 07:32 PM
AFAIK you can't log in as root.

PabloTwo
11th January 2012, 07:40 PM
You can become root by using either the su or su - commands in a terminal.
You will be given a 'password' prompt, at which you type in the root password in-the-blind. It does not echo to screen as you type it.

You can set up your regular user to use sudo by adding your regular user to the %wheel group, or by directly adding an entry for your regular user in the /etc/sudoers file. All of the above require being root to do so.

Gareth Jones
11th January 2012, 08:59 PM
Yes, It is generally accepted that logging in graphically as root is a bad idea (not wishing to open that debate again...).

Use su or sudo to run specific programs or a shell as root, or log in as root on a virtual terminal (Ctrl+Alt+Fx).

Being a member of the "wheel" group makes using sudo possible, as PabloTwo explained. This is all that making your user an "Administrator" when installing actually does for you. You can go to your status menu (user name at top-right of the screen)->System Settings->User Accounts (at the bottom of the Window)->Unlock->Account Type to change your account to an administrator (i.e. add it to the wheel group).

Gareth