PDA

View Full Version : virtual hard disc

yorelchr
10th January 2012, 06:19 PM
Hello Everyone,

I need to find some "virtual" hard disc, or don't know the name, (like Hubic or DropBox) for sharing big files. I would like a free product, working on Linux.
I'm not expert at all of Linux, so my question is: do you know something of this kind, not too complicate to install, that won't bug too much and doesn't take too much CPU when running.
Thanks a lot

christine

kension
10th January 2012, 06:38 PM
Meiga should do the trick fine. It's in the repos.
http://meiga.igalia.com/
Haven't used it yet myself so am not too clear on other pc's being able to upload stuff back to you. All the people I know are not as geeky as I am unfortunately.
From a windows box, hfs.exe works excellent and has 2way file sharing capabilities. It's super easy to setup, portable, and free as well.
http://www.rejetto.com/hfs/ I have used hfs and it works awesome. Even better it runs in wine.

yorelchr
10th January 2012, 07:24 PM
ciao Kension

Thank you for your quick reply !!!
I've tried meiga, so I jsut did as root:
yum install meiga and came this :

[
root@mediceo6NB div_soft]# yum install meiga
Setting up Install Process
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package meiga.x86_64 0:0.3.1-2.fc12 set to be installed
--> Finished Dependency Resolution

Dependencies Resolved

================================================== ================================================== ==================================================
Package Arch Version Repository Size
================================================== ================================================== ==================================================
Installing:
meiga x86_64 0.3.1-2.fc12 updates 68 k

Transaction Summary
Install 1 Package(s)

Total download size: 68 k
Installed size: 214 k
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages:
meiga-0.3.1-2.fc12.x86_64.rpm | 68 kB 00:00
Running rpm_check_debug
Running Transaction Test
Transaction Test Succeeded
Running Transaction
Installing : meiga-0.3.1-2.fc12.x86_64 1/1
Non-fatal POSTIN scriptlet failure in rpm package meiga-0.3.1-2.fc12.x86_64
gtk-update-icon-cache: No theme index file.
warning: %post(meiga-0.3.1-2.fc12.x86_64) scriptlet failed, exit status 1

Installed:
meiga.x86_64 0:0.3.1-2.fc12

Complete!

and when I want to launch it, I have :

[root@mediceo6NB div_soft]# meiga

(meiga:3251): GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor-WARNING **: cannot connect to the session bus: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

(meiga:3251): GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor-WARNING **: cannot connect to the session bus: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

(meiga:3251): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid cast from `GtkMenuItem' to `GtkAction'

any clue on how to deal with this?

PS: I'de like to develop my "geek" side, I'm working on it, so one day I could maybe be able to deal with Linux staff by myself !!!!

Christine

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 PM ----------

I also tried:

[root@mediceo6NB div_soft]# rpm -ivh http://archive.fedoraproject.org/pub/archive/fedora/linux/updates/12/x86_64/meiga-0.3.1-2.fc12.x86_64.rpm
Retrieving http://archive.fedoraproject.org/pub/archive/fedora/linux/updates/12/x86_64/meiga-0.3.1-2.fc12.x86_64.rpm
Preparing... ########################################### [100%]
1:meiga ########################################### [100%]
gtk-update-icon-cache: No theme index file.
warning: %post(meiga-0.3.1-2.fc12.x86_64) scriptlet failed, exit status 1

:-(

Dangermouse
10th January 2012, 07:50 PM
Would a basic file server do (http://www.dnmouse.org/autoten/index.php/my-personal-fedora-guides/9-webservers-setting-up-etc/16-wordpress-installing-and-setting-up-includes-how-to-maka-a-file-server-and-set-up-myskl.html)

yorelchr
10th January 2012, 10:51 PM
In my computer, in Windows (I could also use windows even if Linux would have been better), I have a program called SSH Secure File Transfer, but I don't know how to configure it.
I have to create and edit a profile but I don't know what to write as
host name:
user name:
any help?
thanks a lot

kension
11th January 2012, 03:49 AM
@yorelchr
I'm not sure what core your using but straight from my add/remove software I get meiga 0.4.0 installed and working no problem (32bit here). Just have no other pc to test it with. With hfs, it's just as simple if not simpler and I know that works. I already had vala installed which is required if you build it so not sure if that makes a difference.
Host is the name of the pc when it was installed and windows has the same moniker scheme. In fedora16 it asks you to specify one or it will default to one it creates just like in windows. User is the name of the user. You did read you can run hfs from linux or windows and that it is two way file transfer?

Thanks dangermouse:) Is there a reason to use a dns server? I'm looking at software that only needs install from one pc & that's all inclusive. Meiga looks rather similar to hfs only it is way dumbed down in comparison.