PDA

View Full Version : Grub restoring Help!

sam88
6th December 2011, 02:49 PM
Hi everybody!
I had the good idea of increasing the size of my windows 7 partition resizing the recovery partition of my laptot (that was not full)... now I am not able to boot at all!

when loading grub I receive this message:

GRUB loading
Welcome to GRUB!

error: no such partition. Entering rescue mode...
grub rescue>

I typed the following commands but I am not able to recover from this situation...

grub rescue> ls
(hd0) (hd0,msdos5) (hd0,msdos3) (hd0,msdos2) (hd0,msdos1)

grub rescue> ls (hd0,msdos3)/
....... etc/ dev/ boot/ .....

grub rescue> set prefix=(hd0,msdos3)/boot/grub
grub rescue> set root=(hd0,msdos3)

What couls I do? Currently I have in the order

RECOVERY partition (20Gb)
WINDOWS 7 partition (55Gb ntfs)
FEDORA (single partition for root and home, hfs4)
DATA (ntfs)

Thanks in advance!

---------- Post added 6th December 2011 at 08:38 AM ---------- Previous post was 5th December 2011 at 09:47 PM ----------

any idea?
:(

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 AM ----------

If i install again Fedora (or Ubuntu) on the previus hfs partition could I fix the problem?
Will Grub be able to identify windows partition?

Please help me! :(:(:(

sea
6th December 2011, 03:54 PM
Just curious, why are you using hfs (isnt that apple?) FS rather than ext2-4 or xfs?
Afaik, yes, if you do a fresh install (very drastic) this could solve your issue.

However, are you able to boot into any local OS?
If so, or via livecd, try running:

# grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

sam88
6th December 2011, 03:59 PM
I am using ext4 as you wrote...it was just a lapsus...

No i'am not able to boot from any OS, anyway if it will work I will install again linux.
I'am not able also to access the restoring partition clicking on F9 at boot time; This problem is related with Grub or not?
Thank you very much!

sea
6th December 2011, 04:54 PM
I GUESS, its not directly related with grub, as far as i know, the windows restore partition is 'only' accessible from windows boot menu.

Btw, i said it could, which means its not certain it will.

sam88
7th December 2011, 01:54 PM
I GUESS, its not directly related with grub, as far as i know, the windows restore partition is 'only' accessible from windows boot menu.

Btw, i said it could, which means its not certain it will.

It works! ;)
I have not checked yet if the recovery partition works but reinstalling ubuntu over fedora's partition I have a fully working grub now (both ubuntu and windows partition are visible).

Thank you very much! ;)