PDA

View Full Version : seriously considering going back to windows

phillip1882
26th November 2011, 12:13 AM
to paraphrase goerge carlin:" if this is the best the open source community can do, i am not impressed."
let me be clear, i hate windows and thier petty power games.
never the less, i must confess compared the open source oses, they are a sight better.
let me take a few examples. i looked up free open source games. i notcied freeciv in the mix, and being a fan of the civ series decided to give it a go. after nearly 2 days of trying to get version 2.1.6 to run and failing, i found that its not the latest version. so i tired the latest version, and it worked, kinda. the sound doesnt work, and there's barely a multiplayer community to speak of, but its and old game so thats to be expected. still. so i tried my next thing, gokgs. a popular go palying app, that requires sun's java, yeah another full day to get that to work. so i tried my next popular site, armor games. yeap requires shockwave player for most games. *sigh*
:doh:
but even this wouldn't be such a detriment, if things that are supposed to be made for the open source community worked. for example, today i tried to get KDE to work. no such luck. requires libwww - which aprently requires files i don't have, which require even more files i dont have. another full day job.
untill linux gets its act together and makes programs plug and play, or at least one or two command lines to play, i think no home user will want it.:Y

Dan
26th November 2011, 12:32 AM
Yeah, you're right. No home user would ever want something like this.

No or low cost
Runs on low-end or modest hardware
Reasonably secure right out of the box
Most common softwares either included, or in well defined software repositories (thousands of titles)
One-stop shopping for most codecs and other goodies (AutoPlus)
Flexible as the devil
May be installed on as many machines, and/or as often as you like
If you break it, you don't need to pay to have it reinstalled, re-licensed or fixed
If this forum alone is any indication, (and there's always those silly nincompoops over at Ubuntu to consider) it seems to work just fine for millions of people. Some tech-heads, some not.

But, then again, if you're a hardcore gamer ... I do have to admit that there is a fast and easy solution to your problem.

Click this link for the correct solution. (http://www.microsoft.com)

It'll cost ya, though.

~

jpollard
26th November 2011, 12:36 AM
Of course you could try http://live.linux-gamers.net/, which is specifically for games.

stoat
26th November 2011, 12:54 AM
... i think no home user will want it.I'm at home.

tox
26th November 2011, 01:03 AM
dunno why he just doesnt dual-boot or use Linux in a VM or something

smr54
26th November 2011, 01:06 AM
I think, all sarcastic jokes aside, that there are some things that Linux does better. However, games isn't one of them. (Online flash stuff seems to work pretty well by now though.)

Hopefully, this isn't going to turn into one of those ratpack things where everyone of us, the less than 1 or 2 percent who use Linux will all have to show how we're so much better.

For what it's worth though, many of us do use Linux or other as our every day desktop without issue. It's actually, these days, many times easier to install than Windows in many cases--especially if you've lost your Windows serial number, or the driver disk for your ethernet card. (But again, not for gaming, as far as I know anyway).

Dan
26th November 2011, 01:08 AM

Well, Greg, when frustration gets the better of a guy, the higher the irritation goes, the lower the flexible thinking system performs. And, as both Linux users and forum rats, it'd be a little hard to deny that Linux just isn't the best available choice for the mega-gamer.

The sooner a guy gets to the point where he realizes that, and also realizes that loyalty isn't really a daily requirement in the software aspects of life (as long as you're not a MAC user <..:p..> ) the sooner you can get about the business of enjoying life, rather than fighting with it.

bob
26th November 2011, 01:13 AM
Well, I'm impressed that you spent "days" getting things to fail, yet never asked one question here, just posted that you're thinking of going back to Windows. Oh well, can't say we failed you if you didn't bother to ask.

Linux is not a gaming OS, that's for sure. There are games and they certainly do run just fine, but Windows is and will always be the OS that dominates gaming. If you were a game dev, wouldn't you aim at 95% of the market if you wanted to make bucks selling it? Maybe a version for Macs, but Linux would be a side-line at best for you.

So, head on back and score some points for us over in MS-land. Of course, if you want an OS that's stable, free and can handle WORK, then stick around and dual-boot a bit. BTW, if I sound just a BIT sarcastic, it's because I just spent 7 hours (1 1/2 during Thanksgiving) cleaning up my grandson's Windows machine from the nearly 200 virus/trojan entries that he got from GAMING! :dis: Sadly, I ran out of time before I could bother to run spybot S&D, Ad-Aware and Malwarebytes to see if it was truly cleaned.

So, have fun :dance: with that superior Windows OS. Buh-bye!

VernDog
26th November 2011, 01:18 AM

That's what I do, but not for game playing. I use Windows for programs that either won't work under Linux.

drnetsys
26th November 2011, 02:03 AM
I'll start this off by I am not a gamer, but I dual boot only for my security and PBX programming software. My everyday desktop (laptop) is f16. Now I have been using linux for 13 years now, since I bought redhat 4.1 in 98. Now that was rough coming from windows (6 hours compiling kernel to get network card working. man pages for help and sometimes people on ICQ). I don't claim to know everything and heck have even asked some dumb questions here but I asked for help. Remember what your teachers used to say? The only stupid question is the one not asked. We probably could have gotten you up and running quickly. BTW my wife is not computer literate at all and I talked her into using linux this year (I was tiered of cleaning up all the viruses). Very rarely do I need to do anything to her computer and when I do, I typically ssh into. Linux is just stable even with the hickups from time to time. So stay with it and just ask for help after reading documentation.

tox
26th November 2011, 03:22 AM
That's what I do, but not for game playing. I use Windows for programs that either won't work under Linux.

if your a big game player, ur always best to use linux in a VM so you got the best of both worlds. solves a small problem

Mariusz W
26th November 2011, 03:57 AM
I understand the feelings expressed by phillip1882: a person who ventures for the first time into Linux from say Windows, is very likely to be initially lost and constantly coming across something that may cause confusion and frustration.

This however doesn't mean "Linux is broken". It requires however willingness to learn certain things, and acquire new computer habits, perhaps.

I vividly remember how frustrating was for me, a long term Unix user, my first experience with Windows (that was back in 2002). Only thanks to patience and curiosity, after sevaral "returns" to Windows I was able to put them finally to use. I use Windows frequently but there is no question that Linux is very useful, very robust, usually much, much faster than Windows, free of the constant antivirus updates/warnings/scans hassle, and you can easily perform many tasks which on Windows require arcane knowledge of Windows internals, and that knowledge by the way is not easily accessed.

So my advice is: give more time to your Linux experience. You will find that it can be very rewarding. The first steps into anything new and not trivial are often accompanied by frustration.

fibster
26th November 2011, 08:58 AM
Amazing how many people are fed up with windows and jump into some distro of linux without first looking into what they are getting into?

Myself I have been turned off by windows for years but another icing on the cake is the lawsuit against barnes and noble, microsoft has patents for everything? how can we legally even use a computer without windows on it?

thanks again to a wonderful forum community and great developers and testers.

todd aka fibster

MikeCO
5th December 2011, 09:42 AM
Oh look. Another "I'm too lazy/dumb to learn a new OS, so Linux clearly sucks. I'm going back to the OS that assumes that."

:C

leigh123linux
5th December 2011, 09:56 AM
Thread closed to prevent members from damaging their reputation with snide comments like the last one.