PDA

View Full Version : What works/doesn't work in FC3 x86_64?

cybrjackle
18th November 2004, 04:50 AM
Title says it all.

JLF_65
19th November 2004, 09:22 AM
xine doesn't. It refuses to play anything at all - AVIs, DVDs, whatever. The 32bit version works fine, but 64bit has trouble. A search on google showed at least one other person who had trouble with 64bit xine, but they made fixes to it to get it working. His message said he would send RPMs of his fixed version to people who got in touch. I had the exact same problem with 64bit xine in FC2, so it's a long-standing issue. I keep winding up going back to the 32bit version.

So far, that's the only 64bit app I've tried that failed.

macemoneta
19th November 2004, 06:33 PM
The mplayerplug-in (web browser media player) doesn't work on x86_64; it may appear to work on some files, but it leaves hung mplayer processes that have to be killed manually. I haven't been able to find any status via searches.

septus
20th November 2004, 12:24 AM
While Fedora core 3 is a great improvement, my TV viever does not work any longer (it worked well in Fedora core 2). I do not know whether it is a general core 3 problem, or just applies to the 64 bit version.
Cheers
"septus" (aka Eric)

zig
25th November 2004, 04:56 AM
Alpha Centauri, for one, won't install. I read that some one said he compiled the installer from source with FC1. Maybe I'll try that this weekend.

dtdark
26th November 2004, 05:22 PM
setiathome x86_64 doesnt work, it worked on suse9.1 64.

micha
26th November 2004, 05:34 PM
ATI driver doesn't work (yet) in x86_64 systems...

cybrjackle
26th November 2004, 06:00 PM
Crap, I have a lot of packages that just blowup

rhythmbox
gftp
the list goes on and i'm getting tired of it...................

DavidLeoThomas
8th June 2005, 07:52 PM
Alpha Centauri works fine for me. Installation just requires a simple trick and a bit of space:

cp -r the entire CD to somewhere writable
in the setup.data/Linux directory, mv (or cp, or ln) x86 to x86_64
run setup.sh from this modified CD just like you would have from the original

Haven't yet played it extensively, but it comes up and starts a game just fine.

bytesniper
8th June 2005, 08:05 PM
xine work absolutely fine for me in fc4test3-x86_64. mplayer works from the command line just fine but the gui, while it comes up, gives an error when trying to open any media. flash doesnt work in 64bit browsers. wine has certain anomolies with the 64bit archetecture. other those small issues its great and cant wait for FC4 final to come out.

Ada
8th June 2005, 08:21 PM
apt-get does not really work:(

nhusted
8th June 2005, 11:07 PM
Only problems I've had are:

1. Certain plugins don't have 64bit versions of them (flash player), thus I had to downgrade my browser and all associated plugins and some programs to 32bit. I am currently running the 32bit mplayer plugin with a 64bit version of mplayer just fine.

2. Some mplayer codecs will not run/compile under the 64bit version of mplayer. Mainly the windows ones.

The problems I have stemmed from other makers inability to provid 64bit versions of their plugins/programs. Mainly macromedia and to some extent microsoft.

JLF_65
9th June 2005, 07:45 PM
xine work absolutely fine for me in fc4test3-x86_64. mplayer works from the command line just fine but the gui, while it comes up, gives an error when trying to open any media. flash doesnt work in 64bit browsers. wine has certain anomolies with the 64bit archetecture. other those small issues its great and cant wait for FC4 final to come out.

Who resurrected this old thread? Yes, xine has long since been fixed to work in 64 bit. I use it all the time. WINE is 32bit, but works great. I use it all the time. The latest mplayer works rather well for me - no troubles opening media. Flash is still a pain; we can only pray that Adobe makes a 64bit Flash plugin now that they own Flash.

Look for another update on all the multimedia libs and proggies - x264 was recently updated significantly, and that will propagate into all the other multimedia apps (mplayey, ffmpeg, mencoder, etc.).

One thing still giving me (and others) trouble is vlc. The 64bit version still doesn't work for many folks, myself included.