PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] dualbooting with easybcd

kkshethin
15th November 2011, 08:03 AM
I have faced problem in dualbooting Fedora16 with windows7.
Earlier i was using EASYBCD program to boot Windows7+Fedora15 successfully. I have selected to install bootloader in first sector of boot partition while installation of fedora instead of mbr. Afterwards i added entry of Fedora in easybcd. It worked.

Now during installation of fedora16, i followed same. At the time of adding entry in easybcd, i selected grub2 instead of grublegacy thinking that now bootloader is changed. It didn't worked.

after trial and error, i found out that selecting grub legacy as per old method worked.

I am sharing thinking that many who are using third party bootloader may face such problems.

jserra
16th November 2011, 07:10 AM
Well I've installed fedora 16 with bootloader in first sector of boot partition and added entry of Fedora in EASYBCD using grub legacy. But on booting fedora I get grub missing helper.... thanks for your help!

kkshethin
16th November 2011, 10:11 AM
Well I've installed fedora 16 with bootloader in first sector of boot partition and added entry of Fedora in EASYBCD using grub legacy. But on booting fedora I get grub missing helper.... thanks for your help!

i think you mean grub2 instead of grublegacy. Any way I'm heartened to know that it helped.

I may also mention that grub2 for linuxmint(that means ubuntu, right) and for fedora16 works differently. The reason i state that earlier on my pc, i have triple boot Windows7, Linuxmint11 & Fedora15. All booting with help of EasyBcd in windows7. I have drawn inspiration from miratmiranda's guide. At that time, i added entry for linuxmint as grub2 which was auto configured in easybcd.

i installed fedora16 in place of linuxmint11 and without making any change in easybcd, i tried to boot fedora16. It failed giving grub prompt.

i added fedora16 in easybcd as grub2 entry, auto configured. It again failed.

At last i tired to add fedora16 entry as per fedora15 entry> define partition (where bootloader was installed in first sector of that partition). It worked.

jserra
16th November 2011, 02:33 PM
No it's grub not grub2 and I'm still banging my head on the wall to get it to work :(

kkshethin
16th November 2011, 05:25 PM
No it's grub not grub2 and I'm still banging my head on the wall to get it to work
have you installed fc16 in a single partition?

A_Vle
16th November 2011, 06:32 PM
i think you mean grub2 instead of grublegacy.

I don't think so. I also had to use the "legacy" grub entry in easybcd to make it recognize the grub I installed on the first sector of the fedora partition, not grub 2.

jserra
17th November 2011, 06:46 AM
have you installed fc16 in a single partition?

fc16 is installed on a single partition on a disk where there is another partition with XP.

Indeed it worked when I had fc15 with config described above but not anymore with fc16. All I get is "grub missing helper":C

Mariusz W
17th November 2011, 09:10 AM
I stopped using easybcd some time ago when I learned how to use bcedit directly (after all easybcd is an interface to bcedit). Last week I installed Fedora 16 on a brand new Asus laptop with GRUB2 installed to the Fedora partition, and then using just bcedit, added Fedora to Windows bootloader. Windows 7 is toatally oblivious to what kind of bootloader, if any, Fedora 16 uses.

In the process, and afterwards I haven't encountered any problems whatsoever.

If anybody is interested, I can post the detailed instructions how to dual boot Fedora and Windows 7 using bcedit.

PiElle
17th November 2011, 09:30 AM
I also use easyBCD.
I confirm that I had to use the "legacy" grub entry in easybcd to make it recognize the Fedora 16 grub, which I also installed on the Fedora boot partition... :confused:
Anyhow, it works ... :)

jserra
17th November 2011, 10:14 AM
I stopped using easybcd some time ago when I learned how to use bcedit directly (after all easybcd is an interface to bcedit). Last week I installed Fedora 16 on a brand new Asus laptop with GRUB2 installed to the Fedora partition, and then using just bcedit, added Fedora to Windows bootloader. Windows 7 is toatally oblivious to what kind of bootloader, if any, Fedora 16 uses.

In the process, and afterwards I haven't encountered any problems whatsoever.

If anybody is interested, I can post the detailed instructions how to dual boot Fedora and Windows 7 using bcedit.

Yes please, I'm very interested to try it:)

EFakles
17th November 2011, 03:02 PM
Is there still the option to put the bootloader in the boot partition of your Fedora 16 installation instead of the MBR?

I thought with Grub2 and GPT partitions it goes always in the MBR, now. I had a configuration as in the first post and did an upgrade via Preugrade. After that Grub2 showed up first (obviously in the MBR). The Grub bootloader from previous F15 install was still on my boot partitions first sector.

Via 'grub2-install --force /dev/sda6' i got Grub2 bootloader to the wanted location (sda6 in my case) and with EasyBCD i restored my bootsequence and the Windows boot menu. Redundant to say that i also have to use the 'Grub (legacy)' option in EasyBCD.

The method from https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB2#With_Windows_via_EasyBCD_and_NeoGRUB also work.

Strangely during an test with "Ubuntu 11.04" (also with Grub2) 'Grub2' was the option to go. The obvious difference is: On F16 the Grub2 files are in /boot/grub2 and not /boot/grub (as with Ubuntu 11.04).

PiElle
17th November 2011, 05:19 PM
Is there still the option to put the bootloader in the boot partition of your Fedora 16 installation instead of the MBR?

Yes, there is! :p

Dutchy
18th November 2011, 12:17 AM
I just upgraded my main system which booted through EasyBCD grub legacy.
Atfer the distro-sync I installed grub 2 to the partition but while a new F16 install insisted that I kept using EasyBCD's legacy way, that wouldn't work this time probably due to some grub1 leftovers (which I expected to happen).
Since Fedora is part of a tripple boot disk with Ubuntu before it the automatic searching for grub2 probably wouldn't work either but then again that also didn't work with a clean F16 install.

To conclude I got it working by adding an EasyBCD Neosmart customized grub legacy thingy that boots right into grub2 (the normal legacy option still gives me grub1 so I have them both alongside yeeaah).

This story probably doesn't make sense to anyone anymore, even I'm starting to get confused :confused:
Maybe that's a sign to stop with the silliness and just install grub to the mbr.