PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Partition Size after using clonezilla

Simon_6162
10th November 2011, 05:11 PM
Hi,

my HDD started to have problems, so I bought a new 2TB drive to replace the old 500 GB one. I used a livecd with gparted to set up the partitions on the new drive that I would like

/boot 500MB
/ 70GB
/home 1.7TB
swap 5GB

I then booted clonezilla selected beginner user mode and did a partition to partition copy, after which i reinstalled GRUB. It all boots, if I look at gParted when its booted I see the sizes above. If I use "kdf" or "df -h" it shows the old partition sizes.

The old sizes are
/boot 250MB
/ 30GB
/home ~400GB
swap 5GB

Any suggestions on what I may have done wrong?

Thanks

Simon

jpollard
10th November 2011, 05:18 PM
You copied the partition - including the filesystem size.

df shows the filesystem sizes.

I think the "growfs" utility can expand that, but there are limits to its ability.

stevea
10th November 2011, 05:20 PM
Yeah - there is a difference between partition size and file-system size.

You NEED to increase the file system size until it matches the partition size
/boot 250MB -> 500MB
/ 30G -> 70GB
/home 400GB -> 1700GB

If you increase the size with gparted then it automatically increases the file system size to match.
I *suspect* you set up the new bigger partitooins and then copied the smaller filesystems into them.

Not sure if gparted will solve this but I'd give it a try.
You can use resize2fs, but you can't afford any typos or mistakes.
the 'parted' utility will do this too.

---------- Post added at 12:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 PM ----------

BTW - if you aren't planning to dual-boot Win, then I'd STRONGLY urge you to use a GPT(GUID Partition Table) and not a stinky old MSDOS PT.

Simon_6162
10th November 2011, 06:17 PM
Ok thanks,

I did fear it might be that clonezilla just does dd /old/partition /new/partition. I was hoping it was smarter and just moved all the files and cloned the UID. I thought doing a dd style copy would have caused gparted to show the old sizes though, or does that come from the MBR? I'll give resize2fs a try, at the moment I have a complete backup anyway so I have nothing to loose. Otherwise I'll go back to my tried and tested tar command.

Does anyone know the command to copy/set the partition UID (as in the one /etc/fstab uses)

Possibly a bit late for switching to GPT, but if I start over I'll take your advice.

Thanks

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 PM ----------

Thanks for the help. Looks like I can resize it.

Partition UID changing is here (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=How+to+retrieve+and+change+partition%27s+Univer sally+Unique+Identifier)