PDA

View Full Version : what distro for my notebook?

shtik
28th May 2004, 08:45 PM
hi,

i really like fedora, but reading the release notes makes clear that fedora isn't propably the right solution for my notebook (300 mhz and 64 mb ram). it tells that 64 mb is MINIMUM to run console. i'd like to run x (i'm far away from 192 mb minimum) and since only console is no alternative to windows, i fear i've to stay with windows.
so does anyone know a distri which can handle 64 mb ram and x?

shtik

jrstueve
28th May 2004, 08:55 PM
I got fedora to work with my 96MB RAM laptop... it is in swapping hell... butit works... albeit slowly... windows is slow on it too... not enough space to dual boot and compare...

shtik
6th July 2004, 01:57 AM
okay, i recently tried installing slackware 10 on my notebook, and i must say, it's amazing! it boots relative fast, and with xfce there is no problem with too little ram and x (it needs less then 10 seconds to startx), everything fine now! :)

so, let's guess what's left to say now ...
bye, windows!!!! finally.

a great day here
shtik

Ug
6th July 2004, 02:05 AM
I was going to say, you might want to try Fedora with XFCE.

ghaefb
6th July 2004, 02:11 AM
Nah...
You can try FedoraCore1 with XFCE or Fluxbox, but 64Mb RAM not enough for everyday work.
Maybe RedHat9.0,7.3 for good performence or Slack.

shtik
6th July 2004, 09:23 AM
i agree with ghaefb, if you got little ram, don't try fedora (they even claim to need 64 mb for console, i think you actually won't need that much, but surely more than the 16 mb claimed w/ slack) . i don't know about redhat 9 or less, but slack 10 is a modern version, i don't know, maybe linux from scratch will be even better, but i'm far away from being able to deal with this friend ...

imdeemvp
6th July 2004, 09:27 AM
college linux is pretty small and it is varient of slackware..........mandrake 9.2 using gnome desktop!