PDA

View Full Version : What about an Fedora 16 spin with Gnome 2?

yro
4th November 2011, 04:56 AM
Hy all.

I was thinking..

What about an Fedora 16 SPIN with GNOME 2?

I would like to stay with Fedora but I dont like the Gnome 3 at all. Sorry guys..

Is that possible to make that spin? Please somebody help with that.

Sorry about my english.

Dan
4th November 2011, 05:01 AM
You are not alone in those sentiments, but that's not going to happen. With the release of Gnome 3, Gnome 2 has essentially been abandoned by the Gnome developers.

DBelton
4th November 2011, 05:32 AM
There is a project that was putting Gnome 2 on Fedora 15, BlueBubble.

Don't know if it works good or not as haven't tried it, but from what I saw when I was looking at it awhile back, it broke some dependencies so you pretty much had to block a few packages from updating.

If interested, here's the link

http://k3rnel.net/2011/06/22/bluebubble-the-fine-manual/

yro
4th November 2011, 08:11 AM
You are not alone in those sentiments, but that's not going to happen. With the release of Gnome 3, Gnome 2 has essentially been abandoned by the Gnome developers.

I know gnome 2 will be discontinued, but that is exacly my point of an spin with gnome 2...

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 PM ----------

i dont know if you will understand me but i think that the perfect linux distro will be the distro that use the desktop without its apps, just the desktop with the features that makes other softwares and apps works in it..

Something like: Fedora 16 spin with Gnome 2 without the apps from Gnome but with all the features from Gnome and the possibility of installing everything we choose so we can have an Fedora distro just like how we want, with what we want and without unnecessary apps and, so, more efficient desktop and faster than the traditional one.

Maybe its not necessary get back Gnome 2 but some desktop without all its apps. For instance, the default KDE 4 has somany apps and crap that makes the desktop slow and NOBODY likes all the apps in it. If we can have an KDE enviroment without the apps but with the features and possibilitys from KDE plasma, we, users, will have the besk KDE ever. The same with Gnome, XFCE, etc.

again, sorry about my english...

Adunaic
4th November 2011, 10:39 AM
As I see it, you have a few choices.

1) Run GNOME 3 as is and get used to it (much like you may have done in the transition from windows to linux).

2) Install something like: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=271804 (with the exception of Alt+tab still not being fixed this looks good if you are that attached to gnome 2). The other things is that the control panel stuff is different.

3) Switch to XFCE, very nice and light weight. (Highly customisable).

4) Ignore GNOME 3. Install synapse in it so that you can access program without using the GNOME GUI (hence no tweaking). and learn to do more through the terminal so that you do not need GNOME's new control panel stuff.

5) Thats it, most (modern / up-to-date /cutting edge) distros come with GNOME, KDE or XFCE. Choose one.

Personally I am going with option 4. Although I am learning my way round the control panel. There is a lot of complaining about GNOME 3; A lot of the time people have not given it a chance. It was odd at first but you get used to it (Its a bit like in the house when the Wife has tidied up, you know everything is there but for some reason she things everything belongs in a new place, you get used to it.)

fedvasu
4th November 2011, 01:16 PM
there is MATE project, if one is intersted they can make MATE spin , thats fair enough , yesterday i guess a new Trident (KDE 3 fork)version was released. so forks can live long and prosper.

if you want pure Gnome 2 and fedora experience there is always Fuduntu but it is stagnating at F14 i guess "FEWT" wants it to be Entreprise version.. nah just kidding :).(I have faith in fewt).

---------- Post added at 05:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

5) Thats it, most (modern / up-to-date /cutting edge) distros come with GNOME, KDE or XFCE. Choose one.

you missed out my favorite LXDE :D. no seriously LXDE is cool :cool:. but i broadly (and weakly) agree with your post.

Adunaic
4th November 2011, 02:53 PM
you missed out my favorite LXDE :D. no seriously LXDE is cool :cool:. but i broadly (and weakly) agree with your post.

Ooops. I forgot about it, I have never used it so I easily forget about it. I hastily wrote the above post; It mainly comes from my view that since I am not an active participant in any Linux project (I only assist on this forum when I can and direct my colleagues to linux and free software) then I cannot complain when the free tool I am given changes from the way I like it.

fedvasu
4th November 2011, 03:04 PM
nah .. you can complain all you want as long as you are constructive and besides not everyone is a "contributor".

Adunaic
4th November 2011, 03:14 PM
nah .. you can complain all you want as long as you are constructive and besides not everyone is a "contributor".

Oh I know I can complain. I just choose not too, for the most part. I certainly wish I did have the time/knowledge to contribute - then I would complain I suppose.

fedvasu
4th November 2011, 03:20 PM
Oh I know I can complain. I just choose not too, for the most part. I certainly wish I did have the time/knowledge to contribute - then I would complain I suppose.

if only most folks would learn that (including me) , there would be directed efforts , in design,development and deployment of free-software.

don't get me wrong flame-fests are sometimes *necessary* , but should be less often.

Radioman621
14th November 2011, 07:26 PM
I hate Gnome 3. At first I figured that I did not like it because it was new and it would just take time to get used to it.

But after being frustrated with gnome in Fedora 15 for quite a while, I installed 16 in the hope things would get better. I have come to the conclusion that it is application centric, instead of task centric.

I get the feeling it was designed for tablet users. I can do everything with it that I used to do with Gnome 2.x but everything is more work. I don't run one app at a time with it on full screen. I never go full screen. I typically have 2 or 3 terminals open and a browser with about three tabs, all on one large flat screen monitor purchased to make this comfortable.

Every task under Gnome 3 involves extra steps, ie resizing, extra clicks to drill down to start the app. And to top it off they stuck another screen on top of it all to add another step just to get started. And they make you do that one step over and over. Arrrrrrrgh!

This not an improvement, it is a step backwards from my point of view. Last night I thought this is my computer not theirs, I don't need or want this. I blew it all away and went back to Fedora 14. I am considering Mint.

Bazu135
14th November 2011, 07:48 PM
I hate Gnome 3. At first I figured that I did not like it because it was new and it would just take time to get used to it.

But after being frustrated with gnome in Fedora 15 for quite a while, I installed 16 in the hope things would get better. I have come to the conclusion that it is application centric, instead of task centric.

I get the feeling it was designed for tablet users. I can do everything with it that I used to do with Gnome 2.x but everything is more work. I don't run one app at a time with it on full screen. I never go full screen.

This is more or less my feeling on the subject. I suspect it'd be absolutely brilliant on a tablet (and I would love to give it a go on one), but with a 24" monitor on my desktop, the constant back-and-forth and extra clicks just became tiresome. It's a shame, because I can see where the G3 developers were going, and I'd probably have agreed with the idea in principle, but in practice it just isn't for me. I tried to like it, but it just wasn't working out.

The F16 kernel definitely feels better than F14 though, by my limited experience (and F14 is like an old pair of slippers to me, so that says something!), so I am planning to upgrade to F16 some time after EOL. My intention is to go to XFCE - I've played with it in VirtualBox and have been largely impressed, and have been able to customise it to pretty much what I've got with Gnome2 F14 at present.

For me, Gnome2 in F16 would be perfect, but it's just not going to happen, as best I can see. C'est la vie; time to adjust and move on :)

Radioman621
14th November 2011, 09:15 PM
I tried to go to gnome feedback and explain reaction to Gnome3. On their feedback page you can only file bugs not give feedback. I could not find a way to just leave some feedback.

assen
14th November 2011, 11:04 PM
I'm looking forward Mint 12 (due later this month), which will have MATE (albeit they say it won't be perfect yet) - and it may provide a suitable code base for spin-off.

For the record, MATE is a Gnome 2 fork which aims at keeping the good ol' desktop experience while using up-to-date system libraries.

Dan
14th November 2011, 11:22 PM
I tried to go to gnome feedback and explain reaction to Gnome3. On their feedback page you can only file bugs not give feedback. I could not find a way to just leave some feedback.Ayup. The bottom line is, they really don't want to hear it.

AndrewSerk
18th November 2011, 04:40 AM
I'm looking forward Mint 12 (due later this month), which will have MATE (albeit they say it won't be perfect yet) - and it may provide a suitable code base for spin-off.

For the record, MATE is a Gnome 2 fork which aims at keeping the good ol' desktop experience while using up-to-date system libraries.

Mint Gnome+MATE is here: http://www.linuxmint.com/release.php?id=17

Radioman621
22nd December 2011, 03:52 PM
This just in:

Spotted this on /. Wish Fedora would do this.

"Clement Lefebvre, the Linux Mint founder, has started working on a GNOME Shell fork called Cinnamon, which tries to offer a layout similar to GNOME 2, with emphasis on "making users feel at home and providing them with an easy to use and comfortable desktop experience"

leigh123linux
22nd December 2011, 04:48 PM
This just in:

Spotted this on /. Wish Fedora would do this.

"Clement Lefebvre, the Linux Mint founder, has started working on a GNOME Shell fork called Cinnamon, which tries to offer a layout similar to GNOME 2, with emphasis on "making users feel at home and providing them with an easy to use and comfortable desktop experience"

I compiled it for fun.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/picture.php?albumid=279&pictureid=1175

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/picture.php?albumid=279&pictureid=1174

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/picture.php?albumid=279&pictureid=1176

sea
22nd December 2011, 05:00 PM
This not an improvement, it is a step backwards from my point of view. Last night I thought this is my computer not theirs, I don't need or want this. I blew it all away and went back to Fedora 14. I am considering Mint.

Well... F16 offers more than just the commonly used DE's..
Among the Fedora networks / pages, you'll find E16, Awesome, LXDE, beside the more known KDE, XFCE ones.

I might be wrong, but i thought E16 is in the rpmfusion repos, where as awesome repo is downloadable at repos.fedorapeople.org. LXDE and XFCE are always available with groupinstall :)

Just my 2 cents.

nonamedotc
22nd December 2011, 05:24 PM
I might be wrong, but i thought E16 is in the rpmfusion repos,

Yup! it is indeed in rpmfusion along with applets (as a separate package).

PiElle
23rd December 2011, 08:58 PM
Long life to Gnome 3! :p
With the latest upgrades is becoming very good! :)

CrimsonKing
26th December 2011, 10:48 PM
Why not make a Fedora Cinnamon/MATE/whatever spin for those who liked Gnome2?

(Slightly OT: What is awesome's package name? Could not find it with yum search.)

LinuxNerd
21st January 2012, 05:01 AM
Well, Gnome 2 is still being used in other Linux distros, specifically RHEL and its clones, and Debian, but I doubt that it will be used in Fedora, Fedora's pretty much Gnome 3 for the most part.

Plus Gnome 3 actually looks pretty sweet as well. It has a lot of features that I'd like and would be pretty cool.

Fedora 16 also has LXDE and KDE available.

sea
21st January 2012, 10:36 AM
Fedora is bleeding edge.
Gnome 2 is 'old' and no bleeding edge. So that is NOT part of the Fedora philosophy.

For the same reason you dont get a KDE 1 Fedora spin, but KDE 4.x. ;)

VernDog
21st January 2012, 06:57 PM
Looks like the OP has left the building. Now just preaching to the choir, but with Cinnamon I have no need for , " Something old, ..., something borrowed, something blue", but yes on something new.

Radioman621
30th January 2012, 05:11 PM
W

Plus Gnome 3 actually looks pretty sweet as well. It has a lot of features that I'd like and would be pretty cool.

Fedora 16 also has LXDE and KDE available.

What are those features? I am curious what you like about Gnome 3.

Bazu135
31st January 2012, 08:19 AM
They're desktop environments - the four major ones for Fedora are Gnome, KDE, Xfce and LXDE.

LinuxNerd
12th March 2012, 03:07 PM
What are those features? I am curious what you like about Gnome 3.

A:) GNOME Fallback Mode. You don't like GNOME Shell, or you do like it, but just don't thing it's designed for traditional desktops very well, or you don't have the resources for it, and you have the F16 GNOME Spin, just enable Fallback Mode and you have a GNOME 2-style desktop.

B:) The general GNOME Shell feel isn't all that bad, TBH, why people are bashing it is beyond me.

C:) GNOME 3's just a good all-purpose DE. GNOME Shell for tablets, netbooks, and touchscreen desktops, and GNOME Fallback for traditional desktops and full-size laptops.

---------- Post added at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 PM ----------

Hy all.

I was thinking..

What about an Fedora 16 SPIN with GNOME 2?

I would like to stay with Fedora but I dont like the Gnome 3 at all. Sorry guys..

Is that possible to make that spin? Please somebody help with that.

Sorry about my english.

You DO know about Fallback Mode, right? Use that, and you get a desktop that's almost identical to that of GNOME 2.

megaloman
19th March 2012, 02:05 PM
A:) GNOME Fallback Mode. You don't like GNOME Shell, or you do like it, but just don't thing it's designed for traditional desktops very well, or you don't have the resources for it, and you have the F16 GNOME Spin, just enable Fallback Mode and you have a GNOME 2-style desktop.

You haven't used Fallback Mode, have you? It's nothing like Gnome 2, it just looks like Gnome 2. You cannot add old good applets, just a few useless ones. You cannot change panel's size or location... etc.

B:) The general GNOME Shell feel isn't all that bad, TBH, why people are bashing it is beyond me.

What I love about Gnome 3 developers, most of their posts are posted from... Mac. Same way your post is posted from... Windows. It's good to know, that Gnome 3 advocates don't really use it on daily basis.

C:) GNOME 3's just a good all-purpose DE. GNOME Shell for tablets, netbooks, and touchscreen desktops, and GNOME Fallback for traditional desktops and full-size laptops.

That's incorrect. I need a friendly and customizable destkop environment on my laptop or desktop - Gnome 3 does not fall into "friendly" and "customizable" categories. Gnome 3 was designed with tablet in mind, not desktop. Even there, most features aren't right - see notification area - why the hell it's hidden by default and not visible while you're working? that's plain stupid! If you look at other innovatice mobile platforms like iOS or Android - actually I would say Android's notification bar is an awesome example how it should be done - notification bar is there, by default! Not hidden bar visible only when I move my mouse to the corner... hang on, I don't have a pointer on tablet, how do I get to see my notifications?

muep
19th March 2012, 05:43 PM
You haven't used Fallback Mode, have you? It's nothing like Gnome 2, it just looks like Gnome 2. You cannot add old good applets, just a few useless ones. You cannot change panel's size or location... etc.

I have used the fallback mode on a computer that does not support OpenGL very well. I think the fallback mode still much behaves like Gnome 2 did.

There still is a similar plugin system, but of course most of the third party gnome-panel applets have not been ported. At least in Gnome 3.2 as shipped in Fedora 16, panels can be resized and relocated.

Gnome 3 was designed with tablet in mind, not desktop.

I think the design suits traditional keyboard-and-mouse input devices very well. At least for me, it is much easier to use than the old interface that still mostly is available in fallback mode. I have not used Gnome-shell with a tablet because I do not own one, but it has worked very nicely for me on the laptops and desktops I use it on. For tablet use, I suspect there would still be at least some of the problems you described, and probably many more. Most of the applications you would use with Gnome-shell have also been designed for a keyboard and mouse.

note32
19th March 2012, 05:47 PM
could checkout cinnamon projects

it's pretty nice i have to say

timliim
24th April 2012, 04:54 AM
In case you are interested, please find my interim solution at

http://formosa.homelinux.com/pub/fedora/gnome2/GNOME2.F16.html
also on Fedora forum

Using GNOME2 on Fedora 16 (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=279075)
Cheers,
Tim Taiwanese Liim

stevea
24th April 2012, 06:18 AM
reminds me of Gnome3 somehow

http://s3.amazonaws.com/theoatmeal-img/comics/failed_experiment/failed_experiment.png

LinuxNerd
8th June 2012, 08:47 PM
Well, you can tweak Xfce to look, feel, and function exactly like GNOME 2.

CrimsonKing
9th June 2012, 04:16 AM
* almost