PDA

View Full Version : Linux DJ tools or software?

thesun
21st September 2011, 10:16 PM
I'm NOT a DJ so forgive the basic nature of the question, but I'm going to be the defacto DJ for a weekly upcoming event (a dance) and am wondering if anyone out there has experience with using Linux-based DJ tools.

In particular I'm wondering if anything out there can group songs and then shuffle the _groups_ of songs, and/or (ideally) keep the group but shuffle songs within the groups. Not absolutely required but it would be great if it's out there.

For example, if I have 3 hours of music, can I put together a 1980s hour, a 1990s hour, a 2000s hour, with a couple "artist highlights" of 3 songs from the same artist within each hour. The highlight should all play sequentially, but I don't want it always to play at the same point in the hour. Then the following week, I'd like to shuffle the hours, so that 2000s starts first...keep the same music, but have the order again be totally different.

I don't know the first thing about DJing so maybe I'm barking at the moon, but any suggestions or advice or tips would be great. All I'm currently familiar with is Rhythmbox, which I could probably use. But I'd have to manually create each playlist each time.

Thanks for any help!!!

stoggy
23rd September 2011, 06:41 PM
that would be a pretty simple script. then just play each song with mpg123 or whatever its called now.

TRACKS=( /path/to/80s_music /path/to/90s_music /path/to/00s_music )

for GENRE in `seq 0 $(( ${#TRACKS } -1 ))`; do
for song in `cat ${TRACKS[$GENRE]}`; do
mpg123 $song
done
done

Then just generate your list of songs in each of the Years files. If you have oggs and not mp3s, use ogg123.