PDA

View Full Version : first thoughts

bonito
15th November 2004, 05:01 AM
I have been using gentoo on and off for a couple years, but I could no longer be bothered with the consistant updating that takes hours to compile. I am going to list what problems I have had with fedora so far, not so much of a criticism, but in the hope that I just dont know the answers to the problems I am having and that someone on here will.

-for one thing, installation instructions for the internet based install was non existant. I was able to figure it out for the mostpart, but then I was using the main fedora server to download the packages, and the server was really slow. I cancelled the install and tried to boot into my windows partition to find a decent mirror. Since the bootloader was grub from my gentoo install I could not get into windows, and was unable to find my windows disk. I finally had to insert the gentoo cd and use lynx to go to the fedora website to find a mirror. So for one thing, it might be a good idea to have a commandline livecd type of system to make the situation above easier to perform. Some kind of howto for that cd would be helpful also.

-I was hoping to install fc 3 on a reiserfs partition, but it appears that fedora only supports ext2/3.

-I believe that the install would be improved by having the stage 2 image for graphical install on the cd instead of also downloading it for install.

-the installation was pretty decent, clean and easy to use. When I booted my completed install, it let me into my desktop with a root login the first time, and thereafter wouldnt allow it. I can understand this in a way, and was able to do things from the menu, but it was just a bit inconvenient having to type su password every time I wanted to have access to a system config.

-Firefox would not let me install plugins and extensions within their interface, forcing me to have to manually download and install a plugin like macromedia flash etc.

-My biggest problem...maybe someone has an answer. In gentoo you type a command for a program you want to install or remove...such as emerge azureus. Portage then downloads and installs it, and all packages that it relys on. When I wanted to add a program in fc3, I went to the program installlation and removal interface, and it is pretty, and seems quite simple to use, but has a very limited number of options on it. I couldnt find java, couldnt find flashplayer, I couldnt find azureus, and one of my favorite media players is vlc, which wasnt there either, although I am going to try more of the others first also.

-My cd writer/dvd player would not mount cleanly, it said the device was mounted and busy, but I couldnt even read the data on the dvd.

It is pretty, and clean looking, quite unified, nice colours, and seems simple and fast to update, and I look forward to working with it a bit more and becoming more dependant on linux instead of windows, if anyone can address my above issues I would appreciate it, I think that the above mentioned items are important. Thanks everyone. :)

Daizy
15th November 2004, 05:16 AM
I haven't sussed the reiserFS thing out yet, I know, it annoyed me at first!

The root login thing is either a SELinux thing (disable it in System-Security level!) or a GDM thing, check that gdm-setup doesn't have 'disable root logins' enabled.

First of all your answer to the emerge replacement:

yum
yum update
yum install [packagename]
yum remove [pckagename]
yum search [packagename]

you'll want to find some better mirrors for yum, they're as slow as you described your experience with the installer!

To get your DVD working:

You need to use the 'Users and Groups' screen in the 'System Settings' menu. Double click on your username and a new window will open. Click on the 'Groups' tab, scroll down a little until you see 'disk', make sure there is a tick in the box for 'disk. Click OK, exit the other screen and log out and then back in.

jcstille
15th November 2004, 05:28 AM
As for the yum update you may wanna be careful about repositories right now, as there are not many readily available yum.conf files. Wait a little bit and huge repositories will open for FC3, and as soon as they do yum will be your best friend (a lot like emerge, but doesn't have to compile)

bonito
15th November 2004, 05:31 AM
Hi Daizy, thanks for the reply. I will try the selinux solution you mentioned. As for the dvd not reading, it is reading now, but I cant seem to get it to play. I will give yum a try for sure though, sounds similar to portage. Thanks!

Oh btw, I know it flies in the face of Red Hat, but I use kde exclusively on my system, although some gtk programs inevitably end up on here :)

bonito
15th November 2004, 05:40 AM
http://fedoranews.org/jorge/howto/howto03.shtml

Umm...I think this is how you would use reiserfs in your install...for daizy and others who are interested, although I would still have to try it out...and I think I will :)

s_reynisson
16th November 2004, 08:30 PM
Great reiserfs link, great reiserfs HOW-TO, if only they were all so direct! :D
Of course I had already installed my fc3 on ext3, is there a way to convert from ext3 to reiserfs? Or some sort of upgrade with a minimal reinstall? Thx again for the link!

http://fedoranews.org/jorge/howto/howto03.shtml
Umm...I think this is how you would use reiserfs in your install...for daizy and others who are interested, although I would still have to try it out...and I think I will :)

sailor
16th November 2004, 08:40 PM
-Firefox would not let me install plugins and extensions within their interface, forcing me to have to manually download and install a plugin like macromedia flash etc.

Firefox has a setting to enable "installing from web" look in options for the setting.
I have found that the permissions are for root only if install while root. Change the permissions for firefox and your plugins will load.

-the installation was pretty decent, clean and easy to use. When I booted my completed install, it let me into my desktop with a root login the first time, and thereafter wouldnt allow it. I can understand this in a way, and was able to do things from the menu, but it was just a bit inconvenient having to type su password every time I wanted to have access to a system config.

during the install you should have been given opportunity to create a user, you should do this an d use that user for your daily tasks...root permissions are what make the OS safe from malicious code or other users on the same network