PDA

View Full Version : compiling linux-2.6.32.46

nagesh
6th September 2011, 06:20 PM
hi there..

Im a beginner....i hav installed fedora 15 with gnome 3 and got KDE and also LXDE as different DE's:dance: but ma question is lik i hav tried compiling linux-2.6.32.46 using following help link but after 50 long minutes at documentation itz said compilation error...suggest me plz
:confused::confused::confused:

JohnVV
7th September 2011, 12:52 AM
more information will be required
What you fallowed ?
what you did ?
what the error was ?
Did you install ALL the required software ?

and WHY an old version of the fedora 15 kernel
kernel-2.6.40.3-0.fc15.i686.rpm is in the updates

nagesh
7th September 2011, 02:29 PM
http://www.howopensource.com/2011/08/how-to-install-compile-linux-kernel-3-0-in-fedora-15-and-14/
this is the link where i have got procedure and followed the same..

i did evrythn except sudo yum update command..coz updates size was 370+MB ...it took 50 min after tat it said no VMLINUZ directory and threw copilation error...

i had installed GCC ,ncurses development package as per document says...

Compiling and configuring an Kernel was a part of ma curriculum...

JohnVV
7th September 2011, 07:31 PM
so you are using instructions for the 3.0 kernnel on an OLD 2.6.32.46 kernel when the CURRENT kernel for 15 is 2.6.40.3

the VERY VERY VERY first rule is update

su -
yum update
install the kernel source but for the very different version3 dowwnload it
( i do NOT even come close to recommending you do this)
I advise you NOT to do this very strongly - it is unadvisable to build and install the 3 kernel or a OLD kernel
BUT
if you want to build the CURRENT kernel ( with ALL the security patches installed )
you can start with this old fedora 6 guide( transposing it to fedora15 should woirk )
http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_fedora

updates size was 370+MB .
that is TINNY a very small update .
A 2+ gig would be normal

you are aware that once you use a NOT SUPPORTED kernel you will have to BLACKLIST any and EVERYTHING related to a kernel from ever updating and getting bug fixes in "yum "

jpollard
7th September 2011, 08:20 PM
you are aware that once you use a NOT SUPPORTED kernel you will have to BLACKLIST any and EVERYTHING related to a kernel from ever updating and getting bug fixes in "yum "

No you don't.

You can use pretty much any of the recent kernels without problems. Updates are also not a problem as the initrd associated with the kernel is also updated with the kernel.

Very rarely will things have a problem, unless you are doing a REALLY old kernel (~2.6.32 and earlier).

But you do have to tell us what the errors are. Some of the directions will be different depending on where the error occurs.

nagesh
8th September 2011, 02:25 PM
thanks for the reply.. i ll re-iterate the procedure once gain and i ll do what john siad to update also.. let me see..if it occurs again ll let u knw the details along with error screen shots

nagesh
8th September 2011, 04:53 PM
hi..

Plz find the attachments...

awaiting for solution

thank you..

jpollard
8th September 2011, 07:41 PM
Normally you would not use root to compile the kernel, only install it.

And /usr/src/linux is not used for building the kernel, but to contain headers when building drivers outside the kernel.

The directions for building the kernel are in the Documentation/README file.

JohnVV
8th September 2011, 09:01 PM
normally on fedora you DO NOT install gcc by it's self
you end up missing A LOT of things

su -
yum groupinstall " Development Tools" Development Librarys "

chaeck the spelling with

su -
yum grouplist
and WHY an OLD kenenl
and why use the instructions for the testing 3.0 kernel on a OLD version of the 2.6 kernel
and an old kernel WITHOUT the updated security patches and bugfix patches

also WHY are you ( acoriding to the screen shot)
going to your Desktop THEN to /use/src / ???
makes no seance
that is not the folder you build a NEW ( or different kernel in )
that is one that IS installed .

WHAT it is you want to do ?????\

install the 3.0 or the 3.1 version of the kernel on fedora 15
or
install a OLD and not used any more kernel on fedora 15 when there is a NEWER version in the fedora repos

-- unsubscribing from this thread --