PDA

View Full Version : Ibus disappearing

thesun
26th August 2011, 04:13 PM
I often need to type in Spanish, Japanese, or Korean and usually hit "Cntl-space" to get to the Ibus character switcher. It was working fine at first and now, no clue what I did or why, it's not working. I run "ps aux | grep ibus" and there are no ibus processes running, so it seems like it's not starting. I just updated the packages and still got the same result. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

smr54
26th August 2011, 06:44 PM
To start it, the command is ibus-daemon --xim

In my case, I have it set to not start, as I use it infrequently, but I am also finding some oddities--it's not working (with mozc for Japanese) in urxvt and uxterm, which had never been a problem. There might be some issues with it, I'll have to look into this a bit more.

In the interim, have you logged out and logged back in--it's possible the updates stopped it and it didn't restart.

thesun
26th August 2011, 07:17 PM
Hi, thanks so much for the info...yes, I did log out and back in, then just for kicks I restarted. I have found the following (and hadn't said that I'm on F13, btw):

1. If I go to the "Input Method Switcher" in the System > Preferences and then change something and apply, the Ibus window will appear if I have it set to "appear always"

2. If it is showing up, there are several ibus processes

3. If it is showing up, I can enter Japanese in xterm and OpenOffice, but not Firefox.

What I like is for it to appear when I hit Control-space, show the Anthy window, and disappear when I hit Control-space again...and of course to be able to enter text in ANY window, not just a terminal or OO.

Thanks for any help or suggestions -- if I can check anything further at my end let me know!

---------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

Can the ibus-daemon be set to run automatically in the "Services" window?

smr54
27th August 2011, 12:14 AM
In openbox, it's usually called by /etc/xdg/ somewhere--darn, I removed the file, but there was some sort of im.something.

Poke around /etc/xdg and see if anything looks promising there. It's not started as a service per se, to my knowledge, but does usually start when one starts X.

I would see if you have the same problem as another user, too. That is, create a test user, and as that user, set up ibus, then log in as that user and see if they have it running or not.

thesun
24th September 2011, 01:45 PM
So now I've made some progress even though I'm not sure I know what I did...if anything. I've noticed though that Ibus IS there for certain applications, but not for Firefox, which means that it's hard to type in words to the online dictionaries. (Sorry, I should say that the Ibus little icon shows up at the bottom of my screen, but it's grayed out and hitting "Cntl-space" doesn't trigger anything in FF...whereas in OO it's not grayed out and as soon as I hit "Cntl-space" it starts the input...)

Why is it not binding to Firefox when it works for OpenOffice?

Thanks!

smr54
24th September 2011, 03:32 PM
The only thing I could guess is that maybe firefox isn't using the gtk_im_module thingie.

Try this at a terminal

XMODIFIERS=@im=ibus GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus firefox

and see if you can use it then.

thesun
24th September 2011, 05:25 PM
Didn't help. I am getting a "Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0" error though. Would this be a clue?

Another thing is that I'm running firefox from my home directory, not globally. Not sure if that affects anything but thought it might...

---------- Post added at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 PM ----------

Lo and behold, Ibus works fine when I run "firefox" at the command line (which brings up the old v3.6, the global version). But it fails on FF 5.0, which is what I have running out of my Downloads/Firefox5/ folder.

I'm guessing the solution will be to link ibus to that local version, or install FF 5.0 globally. Any suggestions on which is the easier of the two?

Thanks!!

weitjong
24th September 2011, 05:42 PM
The IBUS is working in my FF but ONLY when the input focus in on the controls that accept keyboard input. I am using GNOME-Shell with GTK panel icon for IBUS. Although the panel icon is always active in GNOME-Shell, the ctrl-space only works when it detects there is an "input window". For example, when the input focus is in on the address bar control or the google search control, or is in a HTML form with editable controls.

I have the stocked FF 6.0.2 from Fedora repo.

thesun
24th September 2011, 10:10 PM
Yes, I'm definitely in an input window...that's not the issue. I'm guessing it's something to do with ibus not recognizing a local ./home/xyz version of FF. I just don't quite know how to test that theory...

---------- Post added at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

Yep, that was the problem: I installed Firefox globally (using the Remi repos and yum) and now Ibus isn't grayed out and when I do Cntl-space it allows other language input. でもまだ質問があります。。。

But now the question is why? I had everything configured nicely in my home directory and now I'm stuck re-enabling Flash and so on...ideally I'd like to enable Ibus to work fine with a local FF install.

Any ideas?

gustavokrm
8th October 2011, 08:35 PM
So, I am brazilian and so is my keyboard. Is there anyway I could possibly be typing without having to hit crtl space all the time?