PDA

View Full Version : x11vnc running a service when gdm starts

Saint Mike
21st August 2011, 05:53 PM
Howdy,

Can anyone save me another sleepless night? Im somewhat savy but there is always something new to learn :confused:

I want to run 1 instance of x11vnc at boot after gdm starts, itsa remote vnc server that will work without me first loggin in :)

Im just not sure where or how to start it when computer boots? i can run it on another tty and connect so its all setup but not sure what the "right" was is.

Thx

smr54
21st August 2011, 08:06 PM
I think (judging from GDM, I'm guessing you're using Gnome) that it has its own builtin VNC server that can be made to start when it's running. This server, called vino, if I remember correctly, should do the trick.

As far as I know--and a quick look at the Xvnc web page and CentOS wiki article don't show differently, Xvnc doesn't seem designed, per se, for that kind of use, it's more of a turn it on when you want it type thing. (I could be completely wrong on that, biased on my own use of it, but that's what it seems like.)

Saint Mike
22nd August 2011, 07:03 AM
Yeah im currently using F14, gnome but might install xfce later on.

I was looking for something that would allow me to see the gdm login screen. vino requires you to be logged in as far as i can tell?

I gave up on x11vnc, i cant even get it to work from another root tty manually befor i login to the graphical login >< have to clean up my hacks and see what i did :/

I tried to build an init script but got totally lost, i cant find enough documentation that gives me enough info. Or its all for deb systems and wont work :(

ALso tried xinetd but got lost again...

I gave up and enabled an autologin to a guest account and enabled vino in that

Dutchy
22nd August 2011, 08:27 AM
If you are the only user and just want to use it to control your own desktop you could do something like I did:
Enable auto login and the Vino VNC-server.
Then create a login script that immediately locks the screen after login.
This way the VNC-server is always running (unless you manually log-off) and no one can get access to your PC by just powering it on.
It is not as nice as a real VNC-service running on boot allowing you to actually log-on as different users but this looked much easier at a glance.

If this is what you want I could provide you my script.

bodhi.zazen
22nd August 2011, 05:23 PM
Use a different VNC server. vino and x11vnc share a session, use vnc4server.

Also, know that VNC is insecure, so it is "OK" over a LAN, but over "then internet" I would advise tunneling over ssh or using FreeNX .

Saint Mike
25th August 2011, 08:12 AM
Yeah thats exactly what im doing now Dutchy haha

I had vino disabled so should have been fine, the effort to get it working was taking over the benifit. Im happy with what iv got :)

And yeah def using ssh tunnels!