PDA

View Full Version : gnome-3 how to make the time display seconds

schneidz
2nd August 2011, 08:27 PM
is there a way for the time at the top of the screen to display seconds as well as the date ?

thanks,

my clock seems to be about :40 seconds off... before i upgraded from f-13 i had my time controlled by ntp (how to verify ntp is enabled) ?
even with network time = yes, it seems to lag a little.

edit: i figured out the network time. it is under a whole separate menu for some reason.

is there a way to get weather/ temperature like in classic gnome ?

rite now my clock reads: tue 3:50 pm...
is there a way i can make it read: tue, aug 20, 2011 3:50:45 pm 95 F

sea
2nd August 2011, 09:39 PM
Some shell extensions are provided if you yum list gnome-shell-extension*
Others are to be found on http://www.webupd8.org

Or look for fmurphy website, he's written like 80% of all shell extensions (anyway i got that impression) :p

That weather/temp extension is provided by my scripts either, it GIT's it and makes install on your system.
You'd need to configure it with "gconf-editor" at least the city ;)

DBelton
3rd August 2011, 12:14 AM
no need for shell extensions to show seconds in the time.

open a terminal window

gsettings set org.gnome.shell.clock show-date true

gsettings set org.gnome.shell.clock show-seconds true

The top one sets it so it shows the date, the bottom one sets it so it shows the seconds.

schneidz
3rd August 2011, 04:48 AM
Thx , why is this missing in the gnome-3 menus ?

stevea
3rd August 2011, 06:20 AM
Be thankful you don't have to download a javascript or manually edit an xml file.
As the gnomes say - shut up and eat your peas.

DBelton
3rd August 2011, 03:39 PM
Thx , why is this missing in the gnome-3 menus ?

Because the gnomies in their oh so infinite wisdom have decided that users don't need to be able to change the way their desktop looks, and should just shut up and take what they are given. Then the users revolted, so the gnomies have started giving them a few more crumbs to appease the masses, but still will not relinquish full control. Several brave users have fought valiantly, and have released a few extensions to do what should have been included in the first place, but not everything has been included yet.

In other words.. patience, grasshopper. :p

Gnome 3 is a new desktop environment, and will take a little time to get back everything that people are used to having.

mcojettech737
12th February 2012, 01:20 PM
Or look for fmurphy website, he's written like 80% of all shell extensions (anyway i got that impression) :p

its fpmurphy

http://www.fpmurphy.com/gnome-shell-extensions/ :dance:

DBelton
12th February 2012, 03:39 PM
yes, fpmurphy has done a lot and really worked hard to write shell extensions.

I was afraid he might stop making them available when some of his extensions got packaged and put into the Fedora repo without him knowing about it and they sat there broken for awhile when Gnome updated.

With any desktop environment, you will have some that want extra functionality, and run extensions/applets, etc..., But with Gnome 3 shell, a lot of the extensions are for things that should have been included in the base desktop but were not for some reason or another.