PDA

View Full Version : No wireless after today update

petrb
2nd August 2011, 08:18 AM
Hi,
this morning I've updated my Fedora 15 32bit with KDE. After update my wireless interface is gone. I have HP Mini 5103 with Broadcomm wirelles card and everything necessary installed (kmod-wl, akmod-wl, broadcomm-wl). After boot, wl module is loaded, rfkill says "hp-wifi" is unblocked, controll led on wireless switch is blue (so wireless is on), but ifconfig shows only eht0 and lo - wireless interface is missing. In /var/log/messages (cleaned before boot and attached) I don't see anything suspicious besides there is no mention about wireless interface (only messages about wireless card initialization).
Thanks for any help.

nibbler999
2nd August 2011, 08:57 PM
I had this problem too, so I came back here to post a potential fix.

Check `lsmod` for a module named "bcma". If you see it loaded remove it and then reload the wl driver

modprobe -r bcma
modprobe -r wl
modprobe wl

If your wireless then works you can add an entry into /etc/modprobe.d/broadcom-wl-blacklist.conf to blacklist the bcma driver

blacklist bcma

petrb
2nd August 2011, 09:11 PM
Excelent, it works :dance: Thank you very much.

JoaoFranco
2nd August 2011, 09:19 PM
I was having the same problem, thank you very much!

QuantumKnot
3rd August 2011, 03:01 AM
I have the same problem too and the blacklisting of the bcma worked. Thanks!!

atapia984
3rd August 2011, 05:27 AM
Thank you nibbler999, your guide worked great. :cool:

jojosilvera
3rd August 2011, 06:01 AM
how do you blacklist it?

smartinsson
3rd August 2011, 08:11 AM
this doesn't work for me. Something else to do???

maeniel
3rd August 2011, 09:49 AM
worked for me as well, though initially i had to reinstall akmod-wl as modprobe wl was saying no such wl. Thanks alot!

JEO
3rd August 2011, 10:09 AM
how do you blacklist it?

You create a file (or add a line to an existing file) in /etc/modprobe.d that contains the last line on post #2 of this thread. The following terminal commands will create a file:

su -
echo "blacklist bcma" > /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-bcma.conf

fredddvargas
5th August 2011, 07:12 PM
work great thanks!! another happy fedora user!!

daisych86
13th September 2011, 04:17 AM
blacklisting bcma as other suggested did not work for me and I even tried a clean install with no luck but after hours of suffering i managed to find a solution for me hope this helps others in the same situation apparently the problem is that the update messed with the akmod-wl so what i did was in command type

yum erase akmod-wl

to erase the driver and then I restarted my computer (don't know if its necessary) and then go to command again and type

yum install kmod-wl

and that solve my problem by the way my card is a broadcom 4311 I
Now have wireless again ...Good luck And hope this helps!

---------- Post added at 03:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 AM ----------

smartinsson i pasted what worked for me hope it helps its #12!!

joren02
1st October 2011, 04:12 PM
blacklisting bcma as other suggested did not work for me and I even tried a clean install with no luck but after hours of suffering i managed to find a solution for me hope this helps others in the same situation apparently the problem is that the update messed with the akmod-wl so what i did was in command type

yum erase akmod-wl

to erase the driver and then I restarted my computer (don't know if its necessary) and then go to command again and type

yum install kmod-wl

and that solve my problem by the way my card is a broadcom 4311 I
Now have wireless again ...Good luck And hope this helps!

---------- Post added at 03:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 AM ----------

smartinsson i pasted what worked for me hope it helps its #12!!

Just had to take the time to register and thank you as this fixed my problem :)
And I was really starting to get pissed about it.

Joren