PDA

View Full Version : Yum error - "Couldn't resolve host"

Bloocurve
1st August 2011, 05:15 AM
Greetings, Fedorians! :p

My latest issue seems to be with Yum; more specifically, I don't think it can contact the main "updates" server to see if there's any actual updates available. When I try, I get this:

[root@localhost ~]# yum update
Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
adobe-linux-i386 | 951 B 00:00
fedora-chromium | 3.4 kB 00:00
google-chrome | 951 B 00:00
http://wftp.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/linux/livna/repo/15/i386/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404 - Not Found : http://wftp.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/linux/livna/repo/15/i386/repodata/repomd.xml
Trying other mirror.
livna | 3.2 kB 00:00
rpmfusion-free-updates | 2.7 kB 00:00
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates | 2.7 kB 00:00
Could not get metalink https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=updates-released-f15&arch=i386 error was
14: curl#6 - "Couldn't resolve host"
Setting up Update Process
No Packages marked for Update
[root@localhost ~]#

Is the updates server just down, or is something legitimately wrong with Yum?

jsn255
1st August 2011, 08:17 AM
I've being getting same thing time to time now. Does seem to work sometimes so mostly problems with the server.

Bloocurve
2nd August 2011, 06:12 PM
While that may be it (and I certainly hope so), I haven't been able to contact the updates server in at least a week. When it's not just the metalink, it's come up with that same error. I find it sort of odd that it seems to not have any additional mirrors to point to, unlike the other repositories I have enabled (see Livna for an example above).

(And what do you know? Ran into the error again while trying to update while I typed this... geez...)

linuxdork
6th September 2011, 12:11 PM
I've been getting this same issue for a few weeks now. I thought it was cuz I had installed dd-wrt on my router (still not convinced that's not the problem). I've tried re-installing a couple times on my netbook and it still fails. I don't have problems surfing the internet just when I try to update/install anything in yum I get these errors. When trying to install, it looks like it tries to parse every mirror before returning to the prompt. Sometimes I can get it to go through by restarting the network service and maybe even networkmanager.

P.S. It doesn't matter what mirrors I add. I get these errors with google and dropbox mirrors as well. I doubt the mirrors are down.

jpollard
6th September 2011, 01:14 PM
As a side note- there are multiple IP numbers for mirrors.fedoraproject.org (used for "update-released"). And you may be getting bit by DNS round robin rotation of IP numbers (especially if two are unavailable).

$ nslookup mirrors.fedoraproject.org
Server: 192.168.1.1
Address: 192.168.1.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
mirrors.fedoraproject.org canonical name = wildcard.fedoraproject.org.
Name: wildcard.fedoraproject.org
Address: 140.211.169.197
Address: 152.19.134.146
Address: 209.132.181.16
Address: 66.35.62.166

They all are pingable, but the service might not be running. You might try replacing mirrors.fedoraproject.org in your configuration file with one of the IP numbers, and if it fails, try another.

Bit of a pain.

linuxdork
6th September 2011, 07:00 PM
I'll give it a try when I get home from work. Thanks.

linuxdork
7th September 2011, 02:33 PM
I was finally able to do more testing at a different location than my home. Yum appears to work correctly afterall. I must have something misconfigured on my dnsmasq setup. Thanks for the replies and help.

maurajane
22nd October 2011, 05:39 AM
I have been using Linux since 1999 and FreeBSD since 2002. I'm not a new kid around the block. (In fact, my first install was Red Hat 5.2, which wasn't a walk in the park.)

I, too have been getting the same "couldn't resolve host" error message with mirrors.rpmfusion.org both in free and non-free, with a final error message of "Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (respond.xml) for repository: livna. Please verify its path and try again" when attempting to access livna and rpmfusion.

Even when I simply go to the rpmfusion site and the Configuration page and the rpms for free and non-free are installed by the package manager, the same error comes up when using the package manager gui.

It seems that there may be some dns issue, possibly with a setting in my dsl router? If that's the problem, I'd like to know what the issue _is_ rather than a statement like linuxdork's 'testing at a different location' solution.

I've spent over an hour Googling and looking in Sobel's 'Practical Guide to Fedora & RH (5th ed)' and the Unofficial FAQ and the official docs I thought may be relevant on fedoraproject itself as well as here in the forum and the forum on LQ.

Too much time has gone into the sinkhole trying to find solutions to the following:
#1 I want to be able to play mp3 files (I use my Slackbox to turn them into oggs if oggs don't exist, but this workaround isn't always practical; i.e., wasteful of time and resources).
#2 I want to be able to play my avi files. Again, I _could_ spend the time to convert them, but _again_ a wasteful expense in time and resources.
#3 Likewise, I want to be able to play my DVDs. I don't want to have to be wasteful _again_ and rip them into a free codec on, say, Slackware, just so I can access them on Fedora.
See a theme here?

I did attempt to do all of this with F14. Out of frustration, wiped that drive. With Gnome3, I've tried to give F15 a chance. I've already been through this about 3 months ago with the same result, and wiped the drive of F15 for this singular timesink reason.

F15 KDE's awfully nice, but again...when there's no _clear_ solution to the error issue which comes up (and I've tried to follow the HowToForge guide as well, with the same result) and _no_ reference that I can find on the fedoraproject site as to problem/solution of this error...what's a person to do?

The solution isn't Ubuntu; "Project Harmony" has me turned against Ubuntu. Debian 6 has become frightful because out-of-box it won't read/write either ntfs-3g formatted external usb drives _or_ small Fat16 usb drives (how dumb is that?). openSUSE ... well, there's the SUSE/Microsoft taint there.

Is Slackware (and its derivatives) the _only_ Linux-based OS that will give me what I want out-of-box or, at the very least, post-install tweaking without losing _time_ to an issue like this?

No "opinions," no "guesses" asked for -- simply the facts on why the error messages come up. And how to resolve the issue. I don't see how I can have anything misconfigured network-wise, because it's all auto DHCP.

With all of that having been said...solutions?

David Batson
22nd October 2011, 12:19 PM
This is what worked for me a some days ago with the same error. I think there might have been a bug in one of the older packages causing the problem.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=1520004#post1520004

maurajane
22nd October 2011, 03:56 PM
Thank you, David Batson. I'll try this later today after my mani/pedi appointment.

Out of curiosity, I thought of this, this morning: could a user simply download the packages one needed from these 3rd party repos and install them via yum once they were downloaded?

Just a thought -- I haven't looked closely at too much re: Fedoraisms yet, but wondering if that were the case, then at least for the non-closed-source 3rd party rpms, that it would make sense to just compile my own. In "real life" (verses some documentation that sometimes gets it right & sometimes skips a step here or there) does anything tend to just *not* work?

And, yes, I realize I'd probably need to check the database to see what additional depends I'd need to be sure to have at the ready, and the depends of depends, etc. so that "couldn't fetch" errors wouldn't show up re: the dependencies.

It might sound like a lot of work to you folks, but that's how I do all of my compiling in Slack, with checking all deps myself. After all, I *was* surprised when Calibre in Fedora called Django as a dependency. I don't have to install it to work with the Slackware SBo for Calibre (but then I don't recall there being a flag for Django...could have been).

Merely trying to get out of the Slackware-state-of-mind and trying to use a non-Debian type system to keep my mind open. Too many people criticize too many systems for the wrong reasons and without having done due diligence to try them. Now, over a decade after having left Red Hat behind (it left a *bad* taste in my mind back then), I'm willing to give it a fair shake again.

Thanks for any other "gotcha!" kind of tips, too, guys.

linuxdork
22nd October 2011, 03:58 PM
yeah, you can use "yumdownloaer" to get the packages and then "yum localinstall" to install the local rpms

maurajane
22nd October 2011, 06:26 PM
Thanks. You've been incredibly patient. One more question, guys, before I go the "yumdownloader" route...

Following instructions for going the terminal route, i.e., as the root user with a basic "rpm -ivh {target}, the following error:

curl: (6) Could not resolve host: download1.rpmfusion.org; Cannot allocate memory

What does it mean, "Cannot allocate memory"?

Yes, I'm going to dig around for this on my own, but since everybody's been helpful so far (David Batson -- sorry, the solution you posted didn't work), does "Cannot allocate memory" mean what it *really* means (which seems incredible given 4gb ram and a 500 gb hd) or is it some kind of Fedoraism? I've never seen this error ever on any other Linux-based OS for a 64-bit system. Or even a 32-bit system.

I'm too stubborn to "give up" on getting Fedora to work, even if it takes 40 hours to simply get multimedia codecs and something as basic as VLC installed. (Speaking of which, trying to install vlc from an rpm download from rpmfusion and then having the system offer to install it led to some 15 dependencies that surely should have been installed on the system during installation (except I haven't checked licensing for things like libmad. Curious, so I'm going to download the original source for that and check it's license.).

And when Totem won't play an avi file but says it will search & download the 2 dependencies it needs, it then won't install those because it says they're already on the system...AC-3 and something else (going from memory here). I wonder...is this a database error? What sort of database does Fedora use to keep track of its packages/dependencies/installs/removals?

Just curious on this last item. Is this more of a yum or an rpm issue?

See, if I was an "ordinary" user, I'd have given up on all of this long before now. But there's something at the bottom of "turtles, all the way down" that's weird. I want to find out *what* that thing is and how it can be avoided/circumvented/solved on a next Fedora install. "Cause something's amiss here.

I swear I'm not an id-10-t kind of girl, but the whole security settings by default thing seem so byzantine in "real world" use rather than "by-the-book" descriptions that OpenBSD seems a *whole* lot easier to correctly configure.

Sounding desperate? Maybe I am. Or maybe I need to play with the system 50 or 100 hours before I "get" the Fedora way of thinking about problems and solutions.

I still say the unresolved host surely-to-goodness has to do something with a network configuration on the router. But see, that leads to another question: why *only* with Fedora and no other system, even BSD ones? Which leads to the whole needing to "get" the Fedora way of thinking under my belt.

I can't be the *only* person for whom this doesn't get solved. Perhaps others give up outright? But believe me that I'll post a solution here when I come across it. Fair warning: I don't give up, even if I have to hack up an ugly runaround. I hate doing that, because it shouldn't be necessary. Not for a end-user's system.

Seriously, guys, many, many thanks in advance.

marko
22nd October 2011, 08:03 PM
maurajane:

I'd suggest you'd have gotten better results by posting a fresh post instead of tacking your post #8 onto an existing thread.

Problem #1: your Fedora 15 repo set up is wrong: livna repo is not to be used any more, use atrpms to get the libdvdcs and libdvdcss2 packages for dealing with DVDs. But I'd only use atrpms repo for those two packages because some atrpms packages might clash with official Fedora ones (but libdvdcss(2) are ok)

I'd suggest you look at the Fedora Set-Up Guides (http://www.fedoraforum.org/?view=fedora_setup) at the top of the forum:

using those (I usually use the mjmwired guide by M. Miranda) to set up multimedia has always worked for me, if you really want the easy way, use "Easy Life" or Auto plus outlined in the Set-Up Guides.

maurajane
23rd October 2011, 01:04 AM
marko: I'll give your suggestions a try. I did look at AutoPlus but didn't know how trustworthy it was. No "new" Fedora user would unless they went on blind trust. But since I'm not keeping any private information on this drive, I'll give it a shot.

Also, note that rpmfusion.org was unresolvable as well.

Since my issue was, in fact, "cannot resolve host," well, I thought it was as appropriate to post the same issue here. After all (and I may be overthinking this), why bother opening a new thread with the same issue?

I've bookmarked the Fedora Set-Up Guides to read at leisure, over time.

I still say that any workarounds (other than removing the livna reference, which no one else has mentioned anywhere online I can find) are simply that -- workarounds. If using the package manager doesn't work for these 3rd party repos, then it's best to forever delete that information and simply download the packages and install them with linuxdork's 'yum localinstall' command. Right?

But then this also means that I'll need to manually search any package to see what other packages I need to have locally cached so 'yum localinstall' will work. And I need to find some doc *on* 'yum localinstall' to see if the cached packages should simply be in the Downloads folder, the /tmp folder or elsewhere.

Learning my way around the system, one thing at a time...everyone's patience appreciated. (I still intend to find the root cause of the "cannot resolve host" issue, though. So anyone who *knows*...please post. Thanks so much.

marko
23rd October 2011, 01:29 AM
marko: I'll give your suggestions a try. I did look at AutoPlus but didn't know how trustworthy it was. No "new" Fedora user would unless they went on blind trust. But since I'm not keeping any private information on this drive, I'll give it a shot.

Also, note that rpmfusion.org was unresolvable as well.

Since my issue was, in fact, "cannot resolve host," well, I thought it was as appropriate to post the same issue here. After all (and I may be overthinking this), why bother opening a new thread with the same issue?

Because it's standard forum protocol to start each person's issue on a new thread for that person because the solution for person 1 might not end up the same as it does for person 2 even for what
looks like the same problem. By mixing the conversation in the thread for many people, later on it's confusing to unravel for other readers. The yum "can't resoive hostname" problem can be any of these
or more causes:

1) your ISP has a low quality DNS service --> fix, setup your Fedora installation to use a better dns like google dns or opendns.com. I use opendns and don't have rpmfusion problems.
2) you might have a defective router and the ipv6 interface in Fedora is causing it problems. Fedora is different in that it creates a default IPv6 interface (I think this is a bad idea, people should create their own ipv6 network interface) -> fix, disable the ipv6 interface so your installation only uses ipv4
see the forum for lots of help on how to turn off ipv6.
3) you have an HTTP proxy -> fix, you need to set up yum to use the proxy (see the man page or documentation built into Fedora for the yum.conf configuration file and using it with a proxy )

I've bookmarked the Fedora Set-Up Guides to read at leisure, over time.

I still say that any workarounds (other than removing the livna reference, which no one else has mentioned anywhere online I can find) are simply that -- workarounds. If using the package manager doesn't work for these 3rd party repos, then it's best to forever delete that information and simply download the packages and install them with linuxdork's 'yum localinstall' command. Right?
No I don't think so, the 'removing livna' comment from me was because livna is a very unreliable server and it comes and goes. It only has one or two packages nowadays anyway and both of those
can be obtained from rpmfusion.
These Forum threads (there are many more) mention the livna issue:
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=223472 (most of this thread is useful)
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=270909 (especially post #5)

basically livna used to have many packages but then they call got pulled into rpmfusion,
it only serves libdvdcvs(2) packages now and even those can be gotten from atrpms
(many Fedora users use atrpms to get the libdvdcvs packages because livna is unreliable)

to quickly try something to get rpmfusion working, other idea would be to edit your /etc/yum.repos.d files for the rpmfusion repositories and comment out the 'mirrorlist' line and comment in the baserurl line. This will make yum go directly to the main rpmfusion service and not go the indirect route of getting the mirrorlist, then going to a different mirror host: If the 'can not resolve" problem goes away than there's some problem with your yum using the mirrorlist system.

EX: make your rpmfusion-free.repo entry look like this (only the "enabled=1" stanzas matter):

[rpmfusion-free]
name=RPM Fusion for Fedora $releasever - Free
baseurl=http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/releases/$releasever/Everything/$basearch/os/
#mirrorlist=http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=free-fedora-$releasever&arch=$basearch
enabled=1
metadata_expire=7d
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-rpmfusion-free-fedora-$releasever-$basearch

But then this also means that I'll need to manually search any package to see what other packages I need to have locally cached so 'yum localinstall' will work. And I need to find some doc *on* 'yum localinstall' to see if the cached packages should simply be in the Downloads folder, the /tmp folder or elsewhere.

Learning my way around the system, one thing at a time...everyone's patience appreciated. (I still intend to find the root cause of the "cannot resolve host" issue, though. So anyone who *knows*...please post. Thanks so much.

maurajane
23rd October 2011, 03:06 AM
Thank you, marko! I wasn't aware of the default ipv6 setting in Fedora. This is most likely the entire issue. And, no, I don't have an HTTP proxy.

The first thing I always have to do with Firefox is toggle ipv6 off, so your comment makes perfect sense. I'll check through the forums for a proper how-to. I know that different distros prefer different ways of blacklisting/commenting out, etc.

I also found (finally) the Software Management Guide (http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/14/html-single/Software_Management_Guide/) at last. In the morning I'll check through the forums for disabling ipv6 as default and give that a whirl.

So many words to get such a simple answer...that's me in a nutshell :-)

marko
23rd October 2011, 05:08 AM
It's also a really good idea to set your network.dns.disableIPv6 setting in Firefox to true

You do that by putting about:config into firefox as the url and toggle the network.dns.disableIPv6 to true

maurajane
25th October 2011, 03:31 AM
It's been an ipv6 issue all along. Once /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf included the lines:
blacklist ipv6
install ipv6 /bin true

and /etc/sysconfig/network included the line:
NETWORKING_IPV6=no

and /etc/sysctl.conf included the line:
net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1

and then a reboot, running lsmod | grep ipv6 as root returned nothing.

Then going to PackageKit, everything installed just fine

After having read about disabling ipv6 through the blacklist.conf file, I remembered that I had to go through the same thing when I test-drove F10 for a few days after its release. I'd merely forgotten that Fedora required more than simply toggling Firefox to disabling ipv6, which is all the Debian distros require.

Ah, such a fool...Someone should really post a specific sticky about disabling ipv6 upon reboot after installation, since adoption is still glacial across most ISPs. It would save a lot of energy for *real* issues. Oh, well.

vaibhavatul47
10th February 2012, 09:56 PM
yeah, you can use "yumdownloaer" to get the packages and then "yum localinstall" to install the local rpms

Thanks a lot linuxdork. It worked for me. :dance:
just took care of "yumdownloader" spelling.
Earlier arrow keys were not working in the GRUB login screen on restart, but now its working fine.. thanks a lot !!