PDA

View Full Version : USB drive won't mount after starting X from run level 3

xtian
29th July 2011, 09:35 PM
I recently installed Fedora 15 with the Xfce DE. When I changed to run level 3 I discovered I was unable to access an inserted USB drive--a window pops up that says:

'Unable to Mount File System'
Not Authorized.

Even though I can see the icon in Thunar. Fortunately, I recalled this was not a problem before with run level 5. When I reversed my changes in /etc/systemd/system, the USB mount problem went away.

lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 36 Jul 23 10:57 default.target -> /lib/systemd/system/runlevel5.target
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 36 Jul 25 18:13 default.target.save -> /lib/systemd/system/runlevel3.target

What I'm doing.
I am using the DE Xfce. Thus run level 5 boots to the choose user screen GUI for Xfce. When I'm starting this from the command line, I'm launching XFCE with the command startxfce4. Again, changing the default back to run level 5 fixed the problem.

Though I don't use selinux or GUI yum, there is another post with a similar USB problem. Can't mount USB drive in FC14 (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=253699)
It speaks about troubleshooting this in the console-kit and selinux. I don't understand console-kit (though I know it has something to do with managing users) and I disabled selinux.

I'm not familiar with customizing F15 having used F11 out-of-box so to speak. I could use any advise you have to resolve this.