PDA

View Full Version : Is a boot partition ( /boot ) needed for hard drive install ?

jenaniston
28th July 2011, 05:33 PM
I always thought that the Live installer would not even proceed without a /boot partition being created . . .
Now, in trying to do a USB pendrive 8GB install from the F15 KDE Live CD, the installer is proceeding with the bootloader going into the single sdb1 partition on the USB.

Is this different than it used to be with the Live hard drive installer ?

Previous attempt with both a boot and swap partition didnt work / didnt boot.

So, in general . . . is a /boot partition necessary ?

Miikka
28th July 2011, 06:34 PM
No. I had F10-14 without a separate boot partition, just / and swap.

jenaniston
28th July 2011, 07:58 PM
No. I had F10-14 without a separate boot partition, just / and swap.

Thanks . . .
so is it a security issue to not have /boot seperate from / ?

bodhi.zazen
28th July 2011, 09:03 PM
Thanks . . .
so is it a security issue to not have /boot seperate from / ?

No, you need a /boot partition if grub can not directly boot your / partition.

Historically, Fedora used LVM and grub 1 can not boot a LVM directly, thus you need a separate /boot with things such as LVM, raid, and encryption.

/boot is still needed if you use LUKS, but, grub 2 is able to boot a LVM, brtfs, and/or RAID (without encryption), so once Fedora migrates to grub2 a /boot will be less necessary.

jenaniston
28th July 2011, 10:13 PM
OK . . . thanks a bunch.

I just burned a CD iso of F15 gnome 3 (I like) with K3b and now hard drive installing to a 8GB USB pendrive as I post this.

I included a 100MB /boot along with 500MB of swap . . .
(but I think I may use mkswap after the install as the installers dont label the swap) ?

Gnome 3 is pretty cool - the install is doing post-installation now.

marko
28th July 2011, 10:37 PM
100MB /boot is way too small if you ever want to use preupgrade. If you don't want to ever use preupgrade, then it's probably ok but even then it's a bit small. preupgrade is a way of updating Fedora that has a stage where /boot is used to store files so there must be a certain amount of excess space for it to work.