PDA

View Full Version : Display help

Ozarkman
24th July 2011, 08:51 PM
I have installed Fedora many times and found the learning curve a little tough. Which always landed me back to Ubuntu. I have came to the conclusion awhile back that Ubuntu was holding me back. So when Fedora 15 came out I switched for the last time. I'm not sure how most people feel about gnome3 but I love it and have found the passion for Linux I once had.

The problem I'm having is installing drivers for my nvidia geforce 7300. I have followed several guides and have always run into the same problem. Everything goes fine until I reboot. At that point everything freezes, the desktop loads and the mouse pointer moves but I cant get past this point.

Can anyone offer any advice I'm guessing my limited experience is holding me back.

David Batson
25th July 2011, 12:43 AM
Seems like this guide would be a good place to start.
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=204752

Don't use Nvidia myself. AFAIK, you can use the propriatary Nvidia driver or the free nouveau driver.

DBelton
25th July 2011, 01:00 AM
Do you by chance have the Geforce 7300 LE?

I have seen numerous people having issues with that particular card and the nvidia drivers.

However, The Geforce 7300 GT has very few issues.

I don't know what the difference in the two cards are, but there must be something that's causing glitches on the LE.

I have found that on my machines (I have one with the 7300 GT) the nouveau driver works better than the nvidia driver does. I don't use those machines for really graphics intensive gaming, so I haven't needed the nvidia drivers.

Ozarkman
26th July 2011, 03:13 AM
I think it listed as a GS. Still having the same problem. I guess Ill just have to settle on life without the Nvidia driver :)