PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 15: adding HP printer cups causes conflick some hints to prevent loss of OS

41ezad61
24th July 2011, 03:29 PM
When installing HP printer please use caution while installing your printer. When adding HP drivers from the repository it will cause conflict with CUPS. And or while experimenting to remove some of CUPS software will cause your OS to crash and will force one to start from the beginning. To resolve the issue of this I will explain the following to save grief.
The way I have found the best way is this:
When you go to add and remove software type in CUPS for a list of software.
Scroll down the alphabet listing to the C's.
Unclick each one at a time and click OK of the CUPS software and watch for dependences to remove. If there is dependences click on cancel and go on to the next one until you find the ones that does not have the dependences attached to the one cup software. Once you finish the C's for cups then move on to type hplip to install HP printer software. Then when the window pop's up to run. Run the software wizard to finish. Just make sure your printer is connected and turned to the on position. I hope this will help everyone.

---------- Post added 24th July 2011 at 07:29 AM ---------- Previous post was 23rd July 2011 at 10:24 PM ----------

For example:
I go to add and remove software:
I type in CUPS for search:
then the software comes up on the screen:
I look for the software that is already installed:
I find a cups software and un click it for trashing:
then I click ok:
then the computer looks for dependencies:
then another window pops up with a whole lot of extra software to remove:
At this point you would want to click cancel, and go on to the next one until you find one without the dependencies; otherwise if you click ok to remove: this will cause the computer to crash and either force you to correct the problem from dos (if you are a programmer that ok) or insert the Fedora 15 disk and start over....

marko
24th July 2011, 04:41 PM
I'm not sure what your post is about. You've heard from somewhere that installing a HP printer in cups can make you lose the OS?

I've adding HP printers to cups many times (HP 1200 LaserJet is what I have at home and four different HP's at work) and no such problem happened

41ezad61
24th July 2011, 11:11 PM
I have a lazer jet HP 1006 here at my home and when I tried to leave the extra software printer drivers from different brands other than HP. I would get nothing but errors from CUPS and the HP drivers will not work at all or even load. So I went and did exactly what I had not to do the up above in the description. The drivers or that I removed Cups drivers other dependencies appeared to be removed and I did removed them with no choice. The biggest one that was removed was Gnome. So when I logged out and tried to log back in: I could not because the missing software. So be careful,,,I suppose some folks will not have that problem but I sure did..

KenJackson
25th July 2011, 12:06 PM
When installing HP printer please use caution while installing your printer. When adding HP drivers from the repository it will cause conflict with CUPS. And or while experimenting to remove some of CUPS software will cause your OS to crash and will force one to start from the beginning.
... type hplip to install HP printer software.

I know that CUPS tries to be so helpful that it's frustrating to get it to do what you want, not what it thinks is best. But I always have CUPS, hplip and hpijs installed and they never conflict. In fact, when I walk through CUPS at http://localhost:631 to install a printer, it presents me with PPD files from the hpijs package.

... to correct the problem from dos ...
DOS?? How on earth did we get back to DOS?

Actually, from you're description, you are using some gui front end to yum, the command-line tool. I very greatly prefer to use yum directly and would encourage you to us it. It's really quite simple and you don't have to be "a programmer" to use it.