PDA

View Full Version : KDE upgraded to 4.6.5.

PiElle
19th July 2011, 03:24 PM
Today KDE has been upgraded to 4.6.5.! :)
Wonderful! :thumb:

DukeNukem
19th July 2011, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the reminder :)

Will update today.

Luke M
20th July 2011, 07:27 PM
Fresh new bugs! Wonderful, I was getting tired of the old ones. Right click on desktop -> taskbar overwritten by background.

Seriously though, is it just me or is KDE a buggy mess? Has it always been this bad?

zuser
20th July 2011, 07:34 PM
Fresh new bugs! Wonderful, I was getting tired of the old ones. Right click on desktop -> taskbar overwritten by background.

Seriously though, is it just me or is KDE a buggy mess? Has it always been this bad?

No, hasn't always been this bad. My system booted before the upgrade, but now it wont.

Edit: Booting to RL 3 and re-installing nvidia driver appears to solve the issue

MALsPa
20th July 2011, 08:00 PM
I brought in the KDE 4.6.5 updates today in F15, rebooted, not seeing any of these problems. Yet.

Luke M
20th July 2011, 08:10 PM
After a logout, the taskbar refresh glitch has gone away. Apparently the update left the system in an inconsistent state.

PiElle
20th July 2011, 08:12 PM
Absolutely no problems here! :)

ah7013
20th July 2011, 09:11 PM
Updated and no problems here :dance:

jbuckley2004
20th July 2011, 11:16 PM
I'll join the chorus. No problems after the update here.

I don't quite understand why the TBird Lightning update is in the repo's though, when TBird 5.0 isn't. But unless it's preventing further updates (and I don't think that's the case), it's minor.

ozjd
21st July 2011, 02:42 AM
After a logout, the taskbar refresh glitch has gone away. Apparently the update left the system in an inconsistent state.

Always best to logout and back in, at least, after an update to a new version of KDE.

I've been running it since it appeared in KDE testing and no real problems.

tox
21st July 2011, 02:55 AM
Always best to logout and back in, at least, after an update to a new version of KDE.

I've been running it since it appeared in KDE testing and no real problems.

shouldnt need to "log out " and " log back in " linux aint Microsoft windows.

ozjd
21st July 2011, 03:05 AM
shouldnt need to "log out " and " log back in " linux aint Microsoft windows.

I agree but I've noticed similar instability after KDE upgrades before so now I do it as a precaution.

tox
21st July 2011, 03:20 AM
I agree but I've noticed similar instability after KDE upgrades before so now I do it as a precaution.

im not an avid user of KDE so i guess i wouldnt really know, i would put it down to a Bug, upstream issue or a fedora one ]? i dunno, has it been filed in bugzilla though

ozjd
21st July 2011, 03:40 AM
im not an avid user of KDE so i guess i wouldnt really know, i would put it down to a Bug, upstream issue or a fedora one ]? i dunno, has it been filed in bugzilla though

I haven't checked for a bug yet but I have raised it on the Fedora KDE mailing list to see what other KDE users think.

tox
21st July 2011, 03:43 AM
I haven't checked for a bug yet but I have raised it on the Fedora KDE mailing list to see what other KDE users think.

anyonew else get the same behaviour? i only use KDE as a fallback if Gnome-shell fails to load

ozjd
21st July 2011, 03:58 AM
anyonew else get the same behaviour? i only use KDE as a fallback if Gnome-shell fails to load

I only just posted it so we will see. It was one of those things that seemed too minor to worry about so I haven't followed it up before.

Update. Just got 1 response with the same thing

tox
21st July 2011, 04:02 AM
I only just posted it so we will see. It was one of those things that seemed too minor to worry about so I haven't followed it up before.

Update. Just got 1 response with the same thing

interesting. be interested in there is a Bug filed for this issue

ozjd
21st July 2011, 05:03 AM
interesting. be interested in there is a Bug filed for this issue

Link to mail list http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/kde/2011-July/009888.html

I searched for a bug report without success. Will see what the feedback is on the mail list.

DBelton
21st July 2011, 05:36 AM
well, I don't know about it being a bug or not.

I would assume that if you update an application that is in use, that it would need to be restarted to pick up the new changes. In something like a desktop environment, which is actually a lot of different programs, it becomes even more critical that you restart it.

For one, programs already loaded into memory when you update, will not pick up the updated version, but programs started after the update will be the updated version.

Unless you restart the entire desktop environment, you would be in effect running mixed versions.

ozjd
21st July 2011, 05:39 AM
well, I don't know about it being a bug or not.

I would assume that if you update an application that is in use, that it would need to be restarted to pick up the new changes. In something like a desktop environment, which is actually a lot of different programs, it becomes even more critical that you restart it.

For one, programs already loaded into memory when you update, will not pick up the updated version, but programs started after the update will be the updated version.

Unless you restart the entire desktop environment, you would be in effect running mixed versions.

That is a good point.