PDA

View Full Version : Extracting multipart .RAR files?

alreadytaken334
18th July 2011, 04:38 PM
I am using XFCE spin Fedora, so my default archiver is Xarchiver. I have downloaded a 2 part .RAR file, and when I used to use them in Windows, I would tell WinRAR to extract the first part, and then it would automatically start extracting part 2 if it was in the same directory. When I try to do the same in Xarchiver it tells me "An error occurred! Please check the 'Store archiver output' option to see it." I don't know what 'store archiver output' is or how to access it. What do I need to do to extract both components and successfully join them?

SomeDamFool
18th July 2011, 05:02 PM
Try multi-extract in xarchiver (Ctrl+M). If that doesn't work make sure you have unrar installed. Also try gnome file-roller (works for me).
Mike

smr54
18th July 2011, 05:42 PM
You can also use p7zip which is actually faster than unrar. Package name is p7zip and I think there is also p7zip-plugins which is good to have too.

Syntax is

7z e <file name--if a sequence of numbers, use the 00.rar or 01.rar>

I have a little more info on it on a page of mine at

http://home.roadrunner.com/~computertaijutsu/dvds.html#rar

but don't give a copy of the command there. (I just give an example of using unrar but syntax for putting rar files into one file is identical, the "e", without quotes, option. ).

PatMcLJr
18th July 2011, 05:44 PM
you could have a peek at peazp too
http://peazip.org/

and sometimes you could might need Gpar2 I think it's in the RPMfusions repos

doorstop
18th July 2011, 05:46 PM
I've used unrar in the past to do this. It's a command line program and I'll type in 'unrar e file_part1.rar' and it'll catch the other parts automatically as well.

Miikka
18th July 2011, 06:18 PM
And once you have installed unrar package, you can use the default Gnome archive manager to extract even multipart .rar files.

DBelton
18th July 2011, 06:20 PM
or in nautilus, you can right click on rar files and select "Extract Here" (may need the nautilus extensions installed, I forget now) And that is after the unrar package is installed

unrar is in rpmfusion if you need to install it