PDA

View Full Version : new hard drive formating!

schamarthi
18th July 2011, 07:10 AM
Yeah.. hello there

I got a new hard drive 2TB for extending the storage. I am working on fedora15
and would like to format the disk as a linux partition and external hard drive.

Can some body tell me how to format this disk and partitioning!

thanks in advance

JamesNZ
18th July 2011, 08:22 AM
System Tools > Disk Utility, you can do it all from there:)

Firewing1
18th July 2011, 09:02 AM
Just a heads up, with a 2TB drive you're reaching the limits of the MBR-style partition table and some BIOSs will have trouble dealing with a drive of that size (or larger). If that is the case with your machine, format it using the a GPT partition table which unfortunately makes it unreadable to older machines but does support (even reading from) extremely large disks.

stevea
18th July 2011, 10:01 AM
Just a heads up, with a 2TB drive you're reaching the limits of the MBR-style partition table and some BIOSs will have trouble dealing with a drive of that size (or larger). If that is the case with your machine, format it using the a GPT partition table which unfortunately makes it unreadable to older machines but does support (even reading from) extremely large disks.

I think they use the name GUID in the palimpsest tool. Same as GPT. GPT has many advantages - but as you say backward compatibility is an issue.

schamarthi
19th July 2011, 04:17 AM
is it grid pakaging tools u r refering ... it says

GPT is a collection of packaging tools built around an XML based packaging data format. This format provides a straight forward way to define complex dependency and compatibility relationships between packages. The tools provide a means for developers to easily define the packaging data and include it as part of their source code distribution. Binary packages can be automatically generated from this data. The packages defined by GPT are compatible with other packages and can be easily converted.

will it format the disk??!!

stevea
19th July 2011, 04:22 AM
No ! GPT is GUID Partitioning Table. It replaces and expands on the MS-DOS partition tables we have been using.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table

The tools to support it are in
gdisk, gparted, and palmisest. Perhaps others.

schamarthi
19th July 2011, 04:39 AM
thanks once again ... solved my problem

Thiis thread is considered closed!

kurtdriver
19th July 2011, 05:27 AM
Rather than closed, how about solved? You could mark it as such in the thread tools near the top of this page, helping others with similar problems to know that a solution lies in this thread.

schamarthi
26th July 2011, 04:20 PM
@Kurtdriver: Sorry yeah! it was closed ... not solved though...thought of reserving the "solved" phrase after writing some files on the disk!! a little unsmart ways ....

now I had a external hard disk of 1TB (connected through USB port) and following the GParted formated the disk to ext4 mode file system from my login (though GParted asked for root passwd)

The disk is mounted @ /media/MyDisk location ... now the ls -l command shows

drwx------. 2 root root 16384 Jul 26 20:23 lost+found

:doh:

group and owner as root and not allowing me to copy any files to the disk.

How to revert this root ownership to user ownership... or atleast give permissions to create dirs
and files on the disk!!??

can I use the chmod on this /media/MyDisk to get permissions!? will they be saved everytime i connect the disk through USB drive??

can I put some mount command in /etc/fstab ??

Adunaic
26th July 2011, 04:53 PM

Interesting, I had some problems before with partition tables not being recognised and software raid. Any suggested links for reading up on hard drives and partition tables etc.

Gareth Jones
26th July 2011, 05:02 PM
How to revert this root ownership to user ownership... or atleast give permissions to create dirs and files on the disk!!??

There's no point in changing the permissions of "lost+found" that is reserved for fsck's use.

su -c "chown your_user_name: /media/MyDisk"

(whilst it is mounted) will change the ownership of the drive's root directory so you can create files as a normal user. (The trailing ":" after your_user_name implies your login group ID.)

If you plan on sharing this disk between multiple machines things get more complicated as the user and group IDs might not match.

can I use the chmod on this /media/MyDisk to get permissions!? will they be saved everytime i connect the disk through USB drive??

Ext4 will remember permissions and ownership etc.

Gareth

stevea
27th July 2011, 05:14 AM
Gareth is right.

Firewing1
27th July 2011, 08:27 AM
Interesting, I had some problems before with partition tables not being recognised and software raid. Any suggested links for reading up on hard drives and partition tables etc.
Although rather complex, the Wikipedia articles give a good overview of the partition table types and their advantages/disadvantages:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_boot_record
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table