PDA

View Full Version : KDE with a XFCE session type technique a help

jenaniston
7th July 2011, 06:16 PM
Not really a spin of XFCE . . . but the XFCE session in a KDE install is and will help me understand and ultimately use the KDE environment at an easier pace.

I just used
yum groupinstall XFCE
See link: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Xfce
and rebooted to my Fedora KDE login screen and then changed session type.

Those KDE K programs like k3b, Kget etc. might be much easier for a newbie to find at first in a simple XFCE environment -
the XFCE desktop environment is of course boringly plain but by just changing the session type you also might find a useful technique for learning the more robust KDE spin.

DagonSphere
9th July 2011, 05:45 PM
Have you tried switching the KDE menu to the classic style?

Right click on the "f" KDE menu
Select Switch to Classic Menu Style

This changes the main menu to a structure that, from what I recall, is similar to XFCE's.

The menu can also be switched back to the Application Launcher style that is the default.

Select Switch to Application Launcher Style

Also, when in the Application Launcher style menu, you can also change the way the programs are displayed, specifically changing the ambiguous label of "Web Browser" to "Konqueror" "or "Firefox" by doing the following:

Select Application Launcher Settings
Under General, ensure that "Show applications by name" is checked

I find the new KDE menu a bit clumsy myself. I am forcing my self to use it to see if it becomes a bit more second nature. The one thing that is really nice is the search box

Hopefully this helps you out a bit, by not switching back and forth between the two desktop environments when all your apps are open.

jenaniston
12th July 2011, 08:41 PM
Have you tried switching the KDE menu to the classic style?

Select Switch to Classic Menu Style

This changes the main menu to a structure that, from what I recall, is similar to XFCE's.

. . .
Hopefully this helps you out a bit, by not switching back and forth between the two desktop environments when all your apps are open.

Thanks . . . I can right-click on the f to switch between the Kickoff menu Style (default) and the Classic menu Style (like XFCE) - very easy.
Since I am using foreign language and foreign keyboard for learning purposes this does the trick very well as I learn KDE betterˇ

Thanks again.