PDA

View Full Version : Itunes?

Malt0meal
27th May 2004, 09:23 PM
Can I play Itunes files on any player? XMMS? Xine etc? It would be cool but I know Apple only has Winblows and OSX versions. Thanks.

cgriffin
27th May 2004, 09:47 PM
I am also a mac user so I can answer this... :)

If you're asking whether you can play the iTunes software on your FC box, no, Apple has not released a Linux version of the player and I seriously doubt they ever will. But, there are many excellent media players in Linux.

If you're asking whether you can play your music that you have in iTunes on your FC box, the answer is probably yes. If you ripped them as mp3's, then just copy them over to your FC box and then you can then play them thru almost any linux players like xmms (get the mp3 plugin).

If you bought AAC encoded iTMS songs, or if you ripped your cd's and used AAC encoding, then you'll need to do some re-encoding or something to strip out the iTMS DRM (google for this) and to convert it to mp3 (since I don't think there is an AAC encoder for Linux, but I could be wrong there. Never looked).

HTH

jdc
27th May 2004, 10:06 PM
For information on ACC for linux check out http://linux.omnipotent.net/article.php?article_id=11500