PDA

View Full Version : Gnome Shell snap not working for gedit MDI

etitor
27th June 2011, 03:08 PM
Gedit windows don't aerosnap left or right. They do upwards (to maximize).

Fedora 15, Gnome Shell, enjoying it.

A classical case for "aerosnapping" two windows side by side, in my experience, is a terminal on one side and a HOWTO in gedit on the other side. This allows easy copy and paste.

Anyway, a gedit window doesn't aerosnap left and right (it only heeds to aerosnapping on the top, for maximizing its window).

Is someone else experiencing this bug? Do you know a solution?

etitor
29th June 2011, 12:43 AM
Sorry, small bump, thanks. Anyone? Do your gedit windows aerosnap left and right?

sdlor
29th June 2011, 01:17 AM
What is "aerosnap"?

etitor
29th June 2011, 01:49 AM
What is "aerosnap"?
http://aerosnap.de/index_eng.htm

bob
29th June 2011, 02:01 AM
Did you look at the requirements?

Windows XP / Vista
.Net Framework 2.0 or higher
500Mhz or faster CPU
10MB RAM free

Ummm...we're running linux???

JamesNZ
29th June 2011, 06:51 AM
What you want is compiz;)

www.compiz.org
http://wiki.compiz.org/Plugins/

etitor
29th June 2011, 10:49 AM
Did you look at the requirements?

Windows XP / Vista
.Net Framework 2.0 or higher
500Mhz or faster CPU
10MB RAM free

Ummm...we're running linux???
I run Linux exclusively since 2004.

Gnome Shell brought to Linux several interface news. Some of them were already available thru Compiz. One of them is called "aerosnapping" (the ability to resize and relocate windows by dragging them to screen hotspots). The name "aerosnap" may sound "windowese", but you can enjoy the effect in Linux. In Fedora 15.

Give it a try. And please tell me whether you can do it with a gedit window... ;)

bob
29th June 2011, 12:09 PM
I've never heard of it referred to and your link was to a Windows app, so that's why I pointed out the "requirements". Well, here's a screenshot of gedit and my browser side-by-side. Now clicking on either will bring it to full screen, however dragging it to a hotspot doesn't affect anything. Is that what you were referring to?

etitor
29th June 2011, 12:41 PM
I've never heard of it referred to and your link was to a Windows app, so that's why I pointed out the "requirements". Well, here's a screenshot of gedit and my browser side-by-side. Now clicking on either will bring it to full screen, however dragging it to a hotspot doesn't affect anything. Is that what you were referring to?
No.

While focus is on a window you are using (e.g., a nautilus window) drag it till your mouse cursor touches the top of the screen. It will maximize. Drag it again it till your mouse cursor touches the left of the screen. It will shrink to half screen (on the left). Drag it it till your mouse cursor touches the right of the screen. It will shrink to half screen (on the right).

You *really* didn't know this? It's highly useful!

It's called aerosnapping windows.

It doesn't work with a gedit window (for me anyway).