PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 partition corrupt

OldCoot46
23rd June 2011, 07:18 PM
Well, I shut down my system last night, first time in over a week, except to reboot back into Fedora 15 KDE.

Well I turn my system on and am faced with a situation. I try to boot into Windows and I get a BSOD that lasts only a couple seconds then reboots. Not long enough to determine what error it is showing before the reboot.

I load up Fedora and try to access the Windows partition and I get the following error in Dolphin:

An error occurred while accessing '180.7 GiB Hard Drive', the system responded: org.freedesktop.UDisks.Error.Failed: Error mounting: mount exited with exit code 12: Failed to read last sector (624929519): Invalid argument
HINTS: Either the volume is a RAID/LDM but it wasn't setup yet,
or it was not setup correctly (e.g. by not using mdadm --build ...),
or a wrong device is tried to be mounted,
or the partition table is corrupt (partition is smaller than NTFS),
or the NTFS boot sector is corrupt (NTFS size is not valid).
Failed to mount '/dev/sda2': Invalid argument
The device '/dev/sda2' doesn't seem to have a valid NTFS.
Maybe the wrong device is used? Or the whole disk instead of a
partition (e.g. /dev/sda, not /dev/sda1)? Or the other way around?

If anyone knows what I should do please post. All I want to do is salvage some info on the drive then I will reformat.

flyingfsck
23rd June 2011, 07:25 PM
Hmm, there are special Windows repair disks that you can download from Microsoft, but if you use it, then Fedora will be unbootable, since it will overwrite the boot loader, so you can't win.

If you do go the repair disk route, then first save a copy of the MBR with dd.

OldCoot46
23rd June 2011, 07:56 PM
Hmm, there are special Windows repair disks that you can download from Microsoft, but if you use it, then Fedora will be unbootable, since it will overwrite the boot loader, so you can't win.

If you do go the repair disk route, then first save a copy of the MBR with dd.

Not going to worry about it I think. Most of my important docs are on an online backup, minus a couple new clients. I just hadn't had the time to back those up.

Note to self: :Always backup clients as soon as you get them."

Thanx again flyingfsck.

Moral of this story: "Never trust your important docs to a Microsoft OS. You will regret it."

Jean Pierre
23rd June 2011, 09:04 PM
An error occurred while accessing '180.7 GiB Hard Drive', the system responded: org.freedesktop.UDisks.Error.Failed: Error mounting: mount exited with exit code 12: Failed to read last sector (624929519): Invalid argument
What is the size of the Windows partition (sda2) ? If the last sector were 624929519, the partition size would be 300GiB. The bootsector of the partition (this is not the MBR) is probably damaged.

The ntfsfix bundled with FC15 is sometimes able to fix the bootsector of an NTFS partition. You can first make a read-only test by issuing "ntfsfix -n /dev/sda2"

OldCoot46
23rd June 2011, 09:46 PM
Will have to remember that for next time. Thanx Jean Pierre.

DBelton
24th June 2011, 12:34 AM
it is also possibly that if it was an error in the partition table, then you might have been able to recover it using testdisk.

yum install testdisk

OldCoot46
24th June 2011, 01:10 AM
Thanx DBelton, I will keep that in mind also.

lightman47
24th June 2011, 05:49 PM
to flyingfsck re: boot overwite: I've had very good luck restoring grub (after Windows hoses it) by booting to Repair with the Fedora disk, then grub-install /dev/sda2 (I used the drive in the conversation above).