PDA

View Full Version : Question about rpms

Brad55
18th June 2011, 03:10 PM
I have a question about using rpms. Can I use (lets say a) Fedora 14 rpm on Scientific Linux 6 or would I have to keep it closer to Red Hat? Scientific Linux (http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=scientific) is a recompiled Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

The reason I'm ask is because I really don't like Gnome 3 but thats just me and Scientific Linux has LTS till Nov 2014 on their SL6. I like LTS because I will have a stable and secure system for me to do my work, bleeding edge is fine and I like some things that come out of it but I just like LTS better.

nirik
18th June 2011, 03:18 PM
In general: no. There may be some rare cases where it works, but SL6 is a rebuild of RHEL6, which was based on Fedora12/13. Fedora has moved on since then, newer libraries, newer packages, etc.

You may want to look at EPEL:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL

which provides extra packages for RHEL/SL/CentOS.

CSchwangler
18th June 2011, 03:50 PM
You may try it but, as nirik already said, it is definitely not recommended. What rpm do you need? SL has several community repositories, which may provide what you are looking for.
Besides that, there is a reason why certain newer stuff is not available on RHEL and SL and this is stability. As you rightly said, SL is rock solid and there is a trade-off between stability and current software.

Brad55
18th June 2011, 07:02 PM
It was more of just a general question about rpms and I understand that each disto has different or newer libs and older rpms won't work.

I have 5 computers (2 desktops and 3 laptops) and have Ubuntu on 3 and Fedora on 2, but I want to get away form Ubuntu and go with some thing that has LTS which Scientific Linux and I just found out CentOS has. Dealing with these computers 2 of the laptops have a hard time running compiz because they are old but still work just fine, and this is one reason I went to Fedora works great on them.

For the most part it seems like all distos have what I need as far as programs go, but there are a few that I really like and want to use like Sigil which works under Fedora if you make some changes see post Sigil post (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=264931). I know this is not an rpm.

Also I wanted to run a RedHat spin so that I could learn it and over a little time get certified on it.

Now here is a weird one live CD of Scientific Linux 6 will not boot on those older laptop but live CD of CentOS 5.6 will. The Scientific Linux 6 support ends 2014 but I cant use it because I cant test it on the laptops, and CentOS 5 support does not end till 2014.

CSchwangler
19th June 2011, 10:27 AM
Keep in mind that SL 6 is newer than CentOS 5.6. CentOS is about to release a version, which is based on RHEL 6. So it may happen that the new CentOS release does not run on your old laptop, since both SL and CentOS are based on RHEL. SL provides also a 5.6 release and you may wish to try this one.