PDA

View Full Version : Switching from Ubuntu to Fedora

muctadir
16th June 2011, 07:32 PM
I am a Ubuntu user. For last three years I have been using Ubuntu and it was my first Linux. Now, I want to switch to Fedora. But, I don't know which version is best in terms of performance and bugs. I have a Dell Inspiron laptop with 1GB ATI graphics card. I also want to know about graphics support of Fedora. Please tell me about it in details if it is possible.

Thank You in advance.

bodhi.zazen
16th June 2011, 08:16 PM
Welcome to fedora, Fedora 15 with the DE of your choice.

Gnome is the "standard", alternates are released as spins

http://spins.fedoraproject.org/

Most hardware drives come from the kernel, so support is about the same across all distros.

Third party drivers, nvidia / ati / some wireless drivers come from third parties, so in those cases sometimes people can guide you , but ultimately support comes from the third parties as the drivers are now written by Fedora and are closed source. Again support for third party drivers is about the same on all distros.

andyzhu35
16th June 2011, 11:48 PM
Hi, Welcome to Fedora. The current release is Fedora 15 and it is just around 1 month old. Fedora has a regular release rule: a new release after around 6 months. The old release will be maintained for about a year or so (correct me). This should be added to your concern of stability. So I think in combination may F14 is better for you to experience your first Fedora. However, F15 has improved a lot and also introduced/inherited bugs (just read the installation forum here).

PiElle
17th June 2011, 07:34 AM
I've been using Ubuntu and Kubuntu for a while too ...
I switched to Fedora 15 (both GNOME3 e KDE) without any problem ...:)