PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 14, could not start after update

Ambulator
15th June 2011, 06:46 AM
To start at the beginning:

I installed Fedora 13 from a live DVD I had downloaded onto a Windows disk. I chose Fedora because I couldn't get Ubuntu to see my DSL connection.

When Fedora 14 became the default install I downloaded a DVD image, but I found out the DVD software would only write images to a SCSI disk (I think). I think there were instructions on how to make my ATAPI disk look like a SCSI disk, but it looked difficult so I didn't try.

Eventually, Fedora 14 was pushed out to me and it installed alright.

About two days ago I installed an update that required a reboot. When I rebooted this morning the process stopped with the normal long bar at the bottom of the screen and the word Fedora, after which the screen flashed several times and stopped. I was in text mode, my mouse cursor was a white block, and I could highlight areas but I had no idea how to continue. The only thing I could think to do was reinstall Fedora 13 in a small (30 GB) partition I had reserved for unknown future use.

After reinstalling Fedora 13 in the small partition, I was happy to see I could access the files in my unbootable Fedora 14 partitions. After doing one or two small updates and one very large one, I was offered the opportunity to upgrade to Fedora 14. I did this, thinking I might be able to copy the files from my new installation over to the old. The first problem was that selinux was blocking my DSL connections. I may have fixed this by following the instructions in the error message, but I haven't rebooted since. Next I noticed that the new Fedora 14 had lost access to the old one.

So, how do I recover my original installation?

Or how do I access the old partitions from my new installation? I tried the mount command:
# mount -t auto /dev/sda3 /<dir>
and got:
mount: unknown filesystem type 'LVM2_member'

If I use ext4 instead of auto then it says it is busy, but I don't see it mounted anywhere. I'm not certain that sda3 is correct, but nothing else works either.

HeWhoWatches
16th June 2011, 12:25 AM
Do you have Nvidia or ATI proprietary drivers installed (say, by using packages from RPMfusion)?

What you describe sounds very similar to what happens when the nvidia-kmod package lags behind the version of the kernel package.

The kernel and nvidia kernel modules have to match you see...
Don't know much about ATI drivers though.

Generally I install both nvidia-kmod and nvidia-akmod to help with this problem.

---------- Post added at 12:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 AM ----------

Also, output of following might be useful:

blkid

df

When you re-installed on a new partition it probably overwrote the boot sector but I guess that might be reliable.

If you can get the original install running in run level 3 it might still be salvageable...

Ambulator
16th June 2011, 04:48 AM
I'm using a Radeon HD 4350 video card (ATI). I don't recall installing a proprietary driver, but I did install some stuff recently trying, but failing, to get Google Earth working.

I'll try to get the old version running at level 3,

I see blkid is interesting. It shows sda3, but I still have no idea how to mount it. If it really cannot be mounted from Fedora 14 I guess I'll have to install Fedora 13 over the new version if all else fails.

---------- Post added at 07:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

I don't see how to go back to my original partition. The only commands I see in grub that look promising are something about a (hd,0) and something about sda. Should those be changed or what?

Wait a second, it looks like the root=UUID=... command needs to change. I think.

HeWhoWatches
16th June 2011, 08:01 AM
You'll need to repair the Master Boot Record... could try advice here:

You can do that with your Fedora DVD this way... Boot with your DVD.
Choose "Rescue installed system".
Follow along to another menu and start the bash shell.
At the bash prompt, enter chroot /mnt/sysimage
At the bash prompt, enter grub-install /dev/sda
At the bash prompt, enter exit to leave the shell.
At the bash prompt, enter exit again to reboot.You also can do those steps with the first CD of the CD set. To do it with the Live CD, the steps are just as easy but a little different. See that here...
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=1172001#post1172001

Also, it's for Ubuntu but similar instructions here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows

Most threads will probably relate to Windows overwriting the MBR but the theory should be the same.

Cunning plan:
- Repair the MBR
- Get your original install up and running in runlevel 3
- Check logs, etc. to try and get you all fixed up ;)

Ambulator
21st June 2011, 03:06 AM
I guess I'm ok now.

I downloaded a Fedora 14 disk and I was able write it out. I went into rescue mode and edited xorg.conf, removing the video line. Then I installed to fix an existing installation to make it boot.