PDA

View Full Version : Grub problem

alfonso_V1
13th June 2011, 12:08 PM
Hi, I've been using Ubuntu for a while on one of my desktops but the latest distro is so problematic I decided to go back to fedora. which I have used succesfully for many years. After installing fedora 15 64bit into 200gigs of freespace on my single HD. All of Ubuntu's partitians are still there but Fedora's Grub has not recognised it. I do need to keep Ubuntu. How can I fix this problem.

bob
13th June 2011, 12:42 PM
Well, you may have forgotten that .rpm distros have the nasty habit of ignoring any other linux distro when setting up grub. There a many threads roaming around about getting it done. Here's one success: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=1479713

Another way is within Fedora, you can mount the Ubuntu partition and from grub.cfg, copy off the info that's important for Fedora's grub to boot. For instance, here's what I have:

title Ubuntu 11.04
root (hd1,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic root=UUID=63cc9ad3-01b9-4d0e-8e42-dc289bd17491 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-8-generic

You might want to try searching, using the Fedora-Google (middle search option) and plug in something like "ubuntu grub" for more ideas.

alfonso_V1
13th June 2011, 04:43 PM
Hi, I've managed to boot ubuntu. by manualy entering these 2 lines in grub at boot up.

root (hd0,1)
kernal /boot /grub/core.img

Fedora 15 64bit seeems to have gone back to menu.1st system but it refuses to let me get into it to make changes. any ideas ?

stoat
13th June 2011, 04:57 PM
Fedora 15 64bit seeems to have gone back to menu.1st system but it refuses to let me get into it to make changes. any ideas ? Fedora 15 still uses legacy GRUB and /boot/grub/grub.conf is its config file. The file /boot/grub/menu.lst is a symlink to /boot/grub/grub.conf. So is /etc/grub.conf. Opening any of those actually opens /boot/grub/grub.conf. It belongs to root. Try opening it for editing this way...
su -
gedit /boot/grub/grub.confP.S.: In your last post, you typed "menu.1st" (with a numeral 1) instead of "menu.lst" (with a lower case letter L). If you entered it that way in a terminal, then the editor will just open a new blank document. Maybe that's what happened.

alfonso_V1
13th June 2011, 08:57 PM
Hi thanks, No I didn't type menu.lst wrong I selected it. I've messed everything up now, reversed the situation got ubuntu now I cant get fedora. Got some advice off the web that said if I updated ubuntu's grub it would find fedora. Not true !! now fedora wont allow ubuntu to read its files. Its easy and quick to re load Fedora 15 but then I'm back to square one.

alfonso_V1
14th June 2011, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the help, problem solved. Re loaded fedora 15 64bit and got my original problem back. Then I edited menu.lst

title "Ubuntu"
root (hd01)
kernel /boot/grub/core.img

set timeout=10, the grub is on a boot partitian. Now when I select ubuntu from the grub screen it takes me into ubuntu's grub which is set to timeout=0

note the reason I couldn't get into menu.lst earlier was because I was looking at the wrong partitian!!!!!!