PDA

View Full Version : Why are these programs running?

sidebrnz
10th June 2011, 08:00 PM
Right now, I'm away from home running on a dual-core laptop with F14 and XFCE. I also have a pair of applets monitoring my CPU usage. This morning, I noted that one of them was at 99%. Checking with top, I found that it was rss-glx-drempel. I've no idea what that was, but I killed it. Just now, I found it pegged again, this time by rss-glx-lorenz. I've no idea what they are, but I'd like to get this corrected. (As a thought, I do use xscreensaver allowing it to pick from all possible patterns at random and this might be related.) If anybody knows what's going on, I'd appreciate knowing.)

jroa1
10th June 2011, 08:15 PM
I googled both processes and they are related to the screensaver. I don't know why they are eating so much resources, though.

nirik
10th June 2011, 09:02 PM
Those are screensavers from the rss-glx (Really Slick Screensavers) package. All of them are gl and very heavy weight/neat looking. If you don't want the cpu being taken up, it would be best to remove them, or run 'xscreensaver-command -prefs' and disable the ones that cause too much cpu for your needs.

sidebrnz
10th June 2011, 10:41 PM
OK, but they've never given me any trouble before, and when I had the trouble, the screensaver should have been inactive because I was using the GUI.

SharpyWarpy
10th June 2011, 11:40 PM
I'd remove the screensavers and just use the screen blanker, but that's just me.