PDA

View Full Version : Yet another LDXE v XFCE comparison question...

FFUser
10th June 2011, 03:36 PM
Hi -

Trying to determine whether to use the LXDE or XFCE F15 spin, and seeking opinions/ clarifications. I spend most of my time using CLI, so my personal preferences revolve around high stability, low resource usage, Fedora core compatibility and robust support. To my knowledge, both environments are roughly equivalent (in all practical respects) with respect to stability and resource usage (please correct me if I am wrong). Regarding compatibility and support, I am trying to determine how "mainstream" LXDE is relative to XFCE as part of the Fedora project. While spins exist for both (and both appear approximately equivalent in popularity for F15), the Fedora release schedule documentation does not appear to track LXDE environment upstream development (which does not necessarily mean anything, but I would be interested to know whether Fedora project members participate in the integration of one environment and not the other). Any links to current compare/ contrast between the LXDE and XFCE environments (technical- and/ or feature-based) would also be most helpful. My guess is that they are more or less comparable on all of the above factors and itís just a matter of playing around with each spin as a matter of personal preference, but trying not to get caught by the things I don't know that I don't know. :)

Thanks

PatMcLJr
11th June 2011, 12:21 AM
for a cli guy, maybe xmonad, fluxbox, or openbox ?

Pat Jr.

ElderSnake
11th June 2011, 03:10 AM
This is a bit of a tough one. For someone who mainly uses CLI I'm not sure it matters a huge bunch and indeed perhaps something like a tiling window manager or just open/fluxbox would suffice but it depends what you want in a desktop.

LXDE is pretty minimal but has enough features to act as a Desktop Environment. XFCE these days has enough features to just about be on par with Gnome 2, if not more so. But it's still very lightweight (well, non Xubuntu varieties anyway) and fairly fast and stable.

I'd probably say LXDE is a touch more stable because of it's sheer simplicity but that's my opinion only, others may feel different on that one.

note32
11th June 2011, 03:35 AM
LXDE for sure - 1. for speed. 2. for stability. 3. ease of use.

every DE is pretty easy to get around but LXDE is literaly "simple" to use. and i hardly use up any RAM if that matters

as for intergation with LXDE is fine i don't see any difference than the main editon it comes with all the essentials like add/remove software, firewall, SElinux troubleshooter. etc. I've been using LXDE for a few years with fedora and its been working very well for me. the best thing to do is just try it out and see how you like it

as for xfce to me and my personal use with it ----it's not much "different" from gnome IMO with the exceptions of a few things.

bodhi.zazen
11th June 2011, 04:47 AM
xfce uses a bunch of the gnome libs and applications.

At any rate, if you are a cli type I would suggest fluxbox, openbox + tint2, or one of the tiling window managers.

If you want a desktop environment , go with xfce or lxde.

Honestly I think the differences between all these options with anything resembling modern hardware is trivial at best. If you are running old hardware or a netbook - xmonad/awesomewm + mirori and ditch the heavy weight applications.

FFUser
13th June 2011, 10:51 PM
Many thanks for the input. I particularly like xmonad at first glance, though will look into fluxbox/ openbox as well. If I go with openbox and need the luxury, looks like LXDE is first choice (as a matter of portability given its use of openbox as a window manager).

smr54
13th June 2011, 11:46 PM
Actually, you can change the window manager for LXDE to fluxbox if, for whatever reason, you want to do so. I prefer the *box managers to the tiling ones, because the tiling ones will also seem to be missing a feature. Also, openbox with pytyle can give me the best of both worlds, at least to a point.

FFUser
13th June 2011, 11:55 PM
you can change the window manager for LXDE to fluxbox...openbox with pytyle can give me the best of both worlds
@smr54 : Thanks! Will look into this as well.