PDA

View Full Version : Removing old kernel from Fedora Grub Menu

cymbaline42
10th June 2011, 06:36 AM
Hi there,

How do I remove old kernels from the Fedora grub menu? I have three currently and I want to keep only one old version to fall back if I have any problems with the current one. When I was using Ubuntu, I had Ubuntu Tweak which had an option to clean up old kernels from the grub menu .. is there something similar for Fedora?

I'm using Fedora 15 32-bit with Gnome 3.

JEO
10th June 2011, 07:31 AM
Try editing the file /etc/yum.conf and change installonly_limit=3 to installonly_limit=2. The next time you update it should remove all but the 2 newest kernels.

Mariusz W
10th June 2011, 10:02 AM
Hi there,

How do I remove old kernels from the Fedora grub menu? I have three currently and I want to keep only one old version to fall back if I have any problems with the current one. When I was using Ubuntu, I had Ubuntu Tweak which had an option to clean up old kernels from the grub menu .. is there something similar for Fedora?

I'm using Fedora 15 32-bit with Gnome 3.

Leave it as it is. It is Fedora's default to keep the last three kernels. The next time a new kernel is installed the oldest one will be removed. A sensible safety cushion based on a long experience.

Doug G
10th June 2011, 10:18 AM
Also, you can use the package-cleanup tool from a command line to remove old kernels and set the number of kernel versions to keep.

cymbaline42
10th June 2011, 05:57 PM
Thanks everyone.

If it keeps only three, I'm going to leave it as it is, like Mariusz suggests, since my main concern was overcrowding the grub menu.

bodhi.zazen
10th June 2011, 08:25 PM
Leave it as it is. It is Fedora's default to keep the last three kernels. The next time a new kernel is installed the oldest one will be removed. A sensible safety cushion based on a long experience.

I agree with this advice.

In general, if you wish to reduce the kernels in grub I believe it is best to remove them. I always keep at least one and I do not bother with Fedora as it maintains only 3, which is easy to live with.

kudzu
10th June 2011, 08:35 PM
If you want to keep the kernels -as "data"- but have fewer options in the grub menu you can edit the /boot/grub/grub.conf file and lessen the options by commenting the old kernel boot options. One down to go, keeping the kernels and having fewer options!