PDA

View Full Version : First post

ksimsff
8th June 2011, 03:28 PM
I have used F14 since the end of 2010. I can't believe I haven't spent more time and learned a little about it. Now, I have decided to just walk away from MS.
It has been evident for some time that I will have to find out what 'yum' is and at least a little about it's function. That seems to be the means to download and install the S/W packages that make up the system. Would you believe that I can find no sticky on yum anywhere? :-) I know it's my ignorance, but I am good at studying problems and poor at getting definitions from context. Is there a sticky on yum? Up to now, I have just updated from the GUI.

Ken

PabloTwo
8th June 2011, 03:32 PM
You could try,

man yum
In a terminal, of course.

Dan
8th June 2011, 03:33 PM
Weeeeell, I'm none to sure I'd call it "good" documentation, but there is some documentation in the "man"(ual) files.

Try this:

Open a terminal, and therein, type the following.

man yum If you would like to push that out into a file you can read later, do this:

man yum > yum-instructions.txt then (presuming you did this from your desktop) there should be a file on the desktop with the contents of the yum man file therein.

Miikka
8th June 2011, 03:33 PM
If you want a manual for anything, you can usually find one with the man -command. Open up your terminal and try this:

man yum

EDIT: anyone else with "man yum" advice? :p

markkuk
8th June 2011, 03:35 PM
See the Software Management Guide (http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/14/html/Software_Management_Guide/index.html)

DBelton
8th June 2011, 03:35 PM
you can find out quite a lot about yum by reading it's man page

from a terminal window...

man yum

Yum is really a straightforward package and fairly easy to use.

some of the basics:

to update, drop to a console screen (ctrl-alt-F2) and sign in as root

then:

yum update

That will update the packages installed on your system if there are any available.

Occasionally there are packages with broken dependencies, which you can just skip over:

yum --skip-broken update

You can add the -y option to automatically assume "yes" to the update

yum -y update

These are just the basics that will get you going with yum. There are quite a few other options that make it a really powerful tool to use. Read the man page.. in linux man can be your friend :)

Most applications have man pages (some good, some not so good) So if you ever have a question about a program, try the man page for it.

Evil_Bert
8th June 2011, 03:36 PM
Just to be different, I'd try:

man yum

:rolleyes:

DBelton
8th June 2011, 03:44 PM
very different there, Evil Bert! :p

Also, I forgot to mention that there is a GUI front-end to yum that is pretty good, too..

yum install yumex

Then it appears in your "System Tools" in Gnome.

Evil_Bert
8th June 2011, 03:46 PM
The poor guy probably thinks we're all ... :C

DBelton
8th June 2011, 03:52 PM
The poor guy probably thinks we're all ... :C

Would he be wrong in thinking that? :dance:

Dan
8th June 2011, 03:54 PM
None too far at all! <..:D..>

ksimsff
8th June 2011, 03:54 PM
Gee. 7 responses in 14 minutes. I'm amazed, I expected it would be a couple of days. All were sound as well as fast. My gratitude to all who took the time to assist me.

Ken

PatMcLJr
8th June 2011, 04:44 PM
yea, the easy ones always get a load of posts

how about

# yum -y install yumex
--- you need to be root note the #

or

$ su -c 'yum -y install yumex'
<enter your root password>

then you have a yum gui to hunt around for stuff

Pat Jr.

satanselbow
8th June 2011, 04:49 PM
Why has no one suggested

man yum

or

sudo yum install yumex

... oh... wait a minute....

blackplague1347
8th June 2011, 05:11 PM
You could always read up on yum here (http://yum.baseurl.org/).

Miikka
8th June 2011, 05:48 PM
OR! If you don't like reading the man documentation from the terminal screen, you can get the same text riched with HTML and CSS!
http://linux.die.net/man/8/yum

ksimsff
9th June 2011, 04:41 AM
I try to remember to keep folks up to date if I'm gonna' make a post and ask for help. I remembered this time. I did not resolve my problem, but I don't think it's yum. Matter of fact, I don't think yum got loaded in the install to begin with.

I'm using a cd I burned in Dec of '09. I used it to load a laptop and a Compaq EVO. The results I'm getting now are much different than then. I have spent most of the day trying to turn off the embedded firewall on an AT&T 2wire modem. Seems strange to me, but there appears to be no way to turn the damn thing off for S/W installs. I'm getting pretty tired and discouraged. Time to get some sleep for us old timers.

This can't make much sense to forum users. I should at least explain what I'm up to. The idea was to load Linux on an unused desktop, give it exclusive use of a 250 gig drive, and learn a little about Linux. When I used the cd previously, it downloaded around 1100 packages, then booted directly to the GUI. On this attempt, I'm only loading 197 packages, and it boots to a command line I/F. I don't know Linux' CLI and am resisting learning another editor. :blink:

Think I'll see if my blankee is still there. Thanks for all the help.

Ken
Alabama

DBelton
9th June 2011, 05:03 AM
There really isn't a way to completely turn the firewall off in the 2wire modem unless you put it into bridged mode, but then you lose your router functionality.

If you need to have the firewall turned completely off for one system, you can set it to be DMZ, but that really isn't recommended.

You can get to those settings here:

http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=J11&THISPAGE=A02_POST&NEXTPAGE=J11

You really shouldn't need to disable the firewall in your router, though. I haven't had it to interfere with traffic I want to let pass by setting up ports to forward to specific machines.

(Even the default set up on the 2wire modem allows yum to work correctly in Fedora. Maybe your problem lies elsewhere instead of in the router)

I would suggest to get a newer CD of a more recent Fedora version and try it to see if it works better for you.

satanselbow
9th June 2011, 07:18 AM
I'm using a cd I burned in Dec of '09. I used it to load a laptop and a Compaq EVO. The results I'm getting now are much different than then.

+1 for a newer version - A disc burned in 12/09 would be version 12? Which is no longer supported/updated and would provide some very old software - which quite possibly includes the rather essential yum package :(

If you do not want to "experience" Gnome3 - go with the previous Fedora 14 release ;)

Gnome3 rocks by the way and there is plenty of support on the forum for any teething troubles you may have :D

... I'm with you on the need some sleep :D

ksimsff
9th June 2011, 03:16 PM
A new day and I am making progress, it just didn't seem like it last nite...

Thanks DBelton for the testimony on the 2 wire. I really like the thing. But when I tried to turn the firewall off and found it was embedded with no option to turn it off, I got aggravated. A few decades ago, I would get absorbed and go at it for days. Can't do that any more, but it's still fun. I will proceed and drop the question of the firewall causing this problem.

And I misinformed you on the date of the CD satanselbow. That wasn't Dec 2009; it was last Dec. And I'm running F14 on my wireless laptop and another desktop. Both are dual boots, but not for much longer.

I get through the install process without errors, but it doesn't get the GUI, and it seems like yum also didn't load correctly. I get link errors when I try to update yum, and I don't think gnome loaded either. There is a large difference between 1100 and 197 packages, and that probably explains their absence.

I noticed a sticky about yum getting metalink errors at the beginning of this forum. Since that list would have to be in the CD, I am going to find a blank CD and start the day by burning another one. I'm just plugging an ethernet cable into the box, so any repos list would be 6 months old. I read that sticky. But I can't edit the repo list on the CD. And I may as well give up. I'm gonna' have to learn another editor. Except this one is kind of warmed over. I got a sprinkling of UNIX several decades ago when I was a field engineer for RCA Info Systems. Imagine that, an American company. And a real honest to God service dept. On to CLI.

Thanks
Ken