PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions about migrating to Linux

djole90
8th June 2011, 11:58 AM
Hello friends,

I'm thinking about that to buy a new laptop and completely switch to Linux. I'm tried of windows 7 and facebook and all that stuff that I see every day.
I used Linux when I had 15 years. At these days I had windows xp that had viruses, and I replaced it with Mandrake. I returned to windows when I found a way how to install windows. Today, I don't remember a lot of that about Linux. My computing skills are excellent.

For beginning which edition is better for me? Fedora or Mandriva? Which desktop is best for me? KDE and Fedora 15 Xfce Spin looks nice, but I'm not sure are they beginners friendly.

Best regards

Brad55
8th June 2011, 01:16 PM
Well there are a lot of versions of Linux and most you can try with just burning a CD. You can go to Distrowatch.com/ (http://distrowatch.com/) and see which one you might like, download the live CD of that version, then burn it (if you burn it burn at lowest speed) then boot it up and play. When you boot a live CD you can play around with the Desktop and see if you like it. Look at the bottom right of the web page and you will see a list of versions. Just click on the version name and it will tell you a little about the version, plus it has reviews about the version.

Fedora is a top of the line distro and has other Desktop spins for you to choose.
Mandriva I have not played with but I have heard it's good.
Ubuntu is another good version and easy to use.
openSUSE is another top of the line distro.

There are a lot so it's kinda all up to you what you like.
You can also install Linux alone side your Windows if you find a version you like and have a dual boot computer.

marriedto51
8th June 2011, 03:00 PM
Agreed there are lots of different distros to try, and a live CD is a great way to see if you like it (and if that distro likes your hardware!).

I'm not sure Fedora is the most friendly distro for a new-to-Linux user, although the last few years have seen it get much more polished. You are buying into a rapid cycle of re-installation as well, with a new release every 6 months. That said, I've stuck with it because I find it has a nice balance of (a) stuff that "Just Works" and (b) stuff that I can fiddle with and customize. These forums also seem great friendly sources of help.

As far as desktop environments go, I'm most familiar with KDE, which is probably more "Windows-like" than the other major offerings, but also perhaps tends to be more resource-hungry. Years ago when I first starting using RedHat Linux (as it was then) I found KDE more intuitive than Gnome. Now I'm too lazy to try to change!

katykat
8th June 2011, 09:17 PM
I have just recently installed Mandriva 2010.2 and find it to be an awesome operating system.

I really do like the KDE on it (though one has total boot options of which to use from a control panel - no scripts to putz with).

I find it to be FASTER than Gnome. It also boots to a functional desktop before the final booutp stages of doing things like activation of kernel modules and the like. (The downside is that a bad module will delay network connection for a few minutes, though it can immediately be activated manually).

I find Yum Extender to be slow and tedious. The urpmi Mandriva equivalent is not. But both are far superior to the Ubuntu Synaptic.

The only problems I am having with it are in Samba, which intermittently works. Of course it does not help that I havent even read the docs on it yet....

I have an ancient Nvidia Geforce2 MX/MMX 400 card that the proprietary drivers wont recognize, but the X-org nvidia will work with - just no 3D. Similar problem in Fedora, but Ubuntu meerkat works OK.

I like Fedora 14 because it is much more customizable, and has Perl 5.12, and appears that the core utilities are readily upgradable (please correct me if wrong).

Mandriva has Perl 5.10, which has certain 'issues' but its a core component (the system is built around it) and while technically upgradable, the process is like brain surgery.

Ubuntu is dependent on a mess of things, and the only way to work with a server there is to use LAMPP out of /OPT.

The way I am seeing it at this time, Fedora is best for software and website development.
Ubuntu Meerkat is great for games and surfing, and for a neat Gnome interface. (Not going near Natty). Mandriva appears to be a great system for professional use. It appears solid, and while not cutting edge - has an excellent GUI (KDE) for system setup and security. And runs Gnome apps (that I have installed without any problems. ). Its software repository does not seem to be as robust (it did not have Gnome-Commander) but it is large and appears to have some packages lacking in others.

The problem with Mandriva is its long time economic survival. It just laid off a bunch of employees, who forked the distro off into Magaeia ala Oracle/Libreoffice.

But it seems like it will be around for some while, in one form or another.

As far as user friendliness, Gnome is easy to work with, but KDE is more Windoze like.
For running basic apps they are really the same. But gnome is great for those CPU eating desktop widgets that are hard to get away from.

Perhaps why KDE seems to be the fastest, at least here....

cymbaline42
10th June 2011, 07:00 AM
Hello friends,

I'm thinking about that to buy a new laptop and completely switch to Linux. I'm tried of windows 7 and facebook and all that stuff that I see every day.
I used Linux when I had 15 years. At these days I had windows xp that had viruses, and I replaced it with Mandrake. I returned to windows when I found a way how to install windows. Today, I don't remember a lot of that about Linux. My computing skills are excellent.

For beginning which edition is better for me? Fedora or Mandriva? Which desktop is best for me? KDE and Fedora 15 Xfce Spin looks nice, but I'm not sure are they beginners friendly.

Best regards

If you're looking for a beginners , easy to use distro, try Linux Mint.

TheNosh
10th June 2011, 08:20 AM
If you have decent Google skills, Fedora is pretty easy going. I know how to do everything I need, but I'm by no means an expert. Just be sure to enable the RPM Fusion repositories if you choose Fedora.

As for desktop environments. I find Xfce quite nice, but that varies mostly on personal taste.

Mariusz W
10th June 2011, 09:59 AM
If you have decent Google skills, Fedora is pretty easy going. I know how to do everything I need, but I'm by no means an expert. Just be sure to enable the RPM Fusion repositories if you choose Fedora.

Elementary internet search skills are today needed to be able to do nearly anything. In case of Fedora, they generally are also sufficient which makes the whole point about "Fedora versus so called 'user friendly' distros" rather moot, even though it is still repeated ad nauseam.

katykat
10th June 2011, 06:59 PM
A very important consideration is what the system is going to be used for.

If simple things like browsing, or facebook, and the like, with online email accounts - a 'Live' bootcd would be probably the best system to use.

Absolutely unhackable.

whyMe
21st June 2011, 07:50 AM
Hello friends,

Best regards

i'd recommend fedora15..[GNOME 3]
works best for me...........:D

bodhi.zazen
21st June 2011, 04:06 PM
I advise you try out a few distros in VirtualBox , you can then decide which one suits your needs. You can also look at window managers, although gnome 3 does nor run in Virtualbox.

geleimate
21st June 2011, 05:24 PM
On a sidenote, the switch from anything to GNOME3 is a shocking experience (I do like and use G3, just saying)

You might enjoy a little bit more conservative desktop environment, there are pretty much other stuff during a Windows->Linux switch to get used of. If you opt for Xfce, for example, it takes less time to accommodate to it, and leaves you more time to discover more important stuff.

You can change your desktops back and forth whenever you feel like, so it's a matter of taste, nothing else.

collisionsystm
21st June 2011, 05:38 PM
I think somebody just starting out again would find gnome 3 to be rather easy.

KDE isn't bad either, but I find myself lost in it all the time because of its extensive features.

I would say Fedora or Ubuntu are rather easy to use. However, Fedora requires a bit more handson for some things. Also, I see linux mint was suggested, which is a great alternative because it has not yet switched to Gnome 3 or Unity.

whyMe
22nd June 2011, 02:19 AM
Which desktop is best for me? KDE and Fedora 15 Xfce Spin looks nice, but I'm not sure are they beginners friendly.

i'd say try running both of them....why choose..??
see what u like and then get sorted
if u are looking for
beginners friendly then i'd say there is not other option better suitable than GNOME 3.....:D:D

VerneOR
22nd June 2011, 02:56 AM
Linux Mint would certainly be my recommendation to someone wanting to re-establish their connection to GNU/Linux. Mint has a lot of advantages in that, it is ready to go immediately after install. No codecs or flash to install by hand.. so listening to music, watching movies and browsing the web, just work without tinkering.

Fedora is my choice, but it takes a bit more to set up and so the learning curve is a bit steeper, but not enough to drive away anyone that has a little bit of patience and has the time to learn a trick or two.

I'll echo what others have said, try out a live cd first.. whether it is Mint, Fedora, Ubuntu.. or a myriad of others. Then make your choice (or choices, for that matter). Enjoy your new laptop, Linux will make it a whole new experience, coming from Windows.. and I mean that in a good way. :)

LOL, just realized this was originally posted on the 8th.. we may all be talking to ourselves here.. unless of course the OP comes back to tell us how it went. :doh:

DBelton
22nd June 2011, 01:24 PM
I advise you try out a few distros in VirtualBox , you can then decide which one suits your needs. You can also look at window managers, although gnome 3 does nor run in Virtualbox.

If you use the latest version of VirtualBox (version 4.0.8), then Gnome 3 shell works :D