PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of Gnome 3, and use Standalone Compiz :D

Vector
5th June 2011, 07:31 AM
After some messing around, i got this figured out, for the most part.

[=▼=]$ su -
[=▼=]# yum -y install ccsm compiz compiz-fusion-extras compiz-manager compiz-plugins-main compizconfig-python libcompizconfig fusion-icon numlockx
[=▼=]#
[=▼=]#
[=▼=]# vi /usr/local/bin/start-fusion.sh
#!/bin/bash
xfce4-panel &
compiz-manager --replace
emerald --replace &
numlockx &

[=▼=]#
[=▼=]# chmod 755 /usr/local/bin/start-fusion.sh
[=▼=]#
[=▼=]#
[=▼=]# vi /usr/share/xsessions/fusion.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Fusion
Comment=Compiz Fusion Standalone
Exec=/usr/local/bin/start-fusion.sh
Type=Application

Note that if you add an ampersand after compiz-manager it will fail. You must not have it there.

The second file that you create there allows you, at the login, to select "Fusion" instead of "Gnome".

A few helpful keyboard shortcuts i set:
<super><x> ((x|gnome)terminal)
<super><f> firefox
<super><g> gedit
<super><n> nautilus --no-desktop

Now, to tackle Multimedia Controls:
In compiz settings manager, add these commands (vol up, vol down, mute), on seperate lines; then bind them to your keyboard's volume controls:

amixer set Master 10%+ > /dev/null
amixer set Master 10%- > /dev/null
amixer set Master toggle > /dev/null

Here's one way to change the keyboard's delay and repeat rate, but it has to be done as root, and the delay will not go below 250ms, which is WAY too long for me, so i'm going to dig further on this:

[=▼=]# kbdrate -r 30 -d 64

Ok, i found this, which is way better than kbdrate; man setx for more info. You can use it after you've logged in; but adding this to your startup script doesn't seem to have any effect:

[=▼=]$ xset r rate 200 25

This option i found in "man xserver" may also be useful, somehow, if it can be made to work while starting up:

-ardelay milliseconds
sets the autorepeat delay (length of time in milliseconds that
a key must be depressed before autorepeat starts).

-arinterval milliseconds
sets the autorepeat interval (length of time in milliseconds
that should elapse between autorepeat-generated keystrokes).

Still haven't found a way to make the text cursor blink faster...

If you want to get rid of the Gnome Login screen, follow these steps:

[=▼=]# yum install xorg-x11-xdm

in /etc/X11/prefdm add this line above the line for gdm fallback ONLY if you want to use xdm (this assumes you've INSTALLED xorg-x11-xdm:

# Fallbacks, in order
exec xdm "$@" >/dev/null 2>&1 </dev/null

Then go to:

[=▼=]# vi /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients

look for the line that says "PREFERRED=" (blank), and change it to say:

PREFERRED=/usr/local/bin/start-fusion.sh

Now to figure out how to set the background image for XDM, etc...

Note that if you use XDM your sound will NOT work. I guess that GDM starts up a bunch of stuff automatically, whereas XDM does not. This MAY be solved by adding "pulseaudio -D" to your startup/login script (above), but i can't test that out because i just downgraded back to 14 (sorry). So, until this can be certain, you may want to use GDM, and use the "Fusion Login" option that you setup above, to login to the compiz desktop with working sound.

If any of you have any tips on how to get rid of the gnome login window, and use your own, as well as further supplements for getting rid of gnome and going pure-compiz, that'd be GREAT. OR, if you know a BETTER way to do this, that would be great as well. I may not be doing this the best way, so other input is always welcome; i'm just happy to be off on the right direction ;)

Note that fbpanel SUCKS, so use lxpanel or xfce4-panel. I'm getting ready to test with xfce4-panel here in a moment. I tried bmpanel, which is attractive, but lacks many configuration options (and you have to shell a command to launch the config window, as there is no right click options for that panel). So, i decided to try the xfce4-panel before sticking with lxpanel, and it was a win. You can move it to the SIDE of the screen like you used to be able to do with the gnome panel, and even set launchers and transparency, etc.

HMSS013
5th June 2011, 08:03 AM
neato!! ...anyway to use the old Gnome 2 panel?? ...maybe from a couple F14 packages??

...oo0o... you can run 'gnome-panel' and it will run the panels in 'fallback mode' and compiz will still work!

Vector
5th June 2011, 08:14 AM
I thought that it would, but this xfce panel is almost JUST like it. You can even change the main menu icon. I wish my servers weren't down, i'd show you a screenshot of what i've got so far... (i have no where to upload it to :D)

leigh123linux
5th June 2011, 08:20 AM
After some messing around, and even starting a thread at Compiz's forums ( http://forum.compiz.org/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=68498 ), i got this figured out, for the most part. Note that fbpanel SUCKS, so use lxpanel. I'm getting ready to test with xfce4-panel here in a moment.

[=▼=]$ su -
[=▼=]# yum -y install ccsm compiz compiz-fusion-extras compiz-manager compiz-plugins-main compizconfig-python libcompizconfig fusion-icon numlockx
[=▼=]#
[=▼=]#
[=▼=]# vi /usr/local/bin/start-fusion.sh
#!/bin/bash
xfce4-panel &
compiz-manager --replace
emerald --replace &
numlockx &

[=▼=]#
[=▼=]# chmod 755 /usr/local/bin/start-fusion.sh
[=▼=]#
[=▼=]#
[=▼=]# vi /usr/share/xsessions/fusion.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Fusion
Comment=Compiz Fusion Standalone
Exec=/usr/local/bin/start-fusion.sh
Type=Application
Note that if you add an ampersand after compiz-manager it will fail. You must not have it there.

The second file that you create there allows you, at the login, to select "Fusion" instead of "Gnome".

A few helpful keyboard shortcuts i set:
<super><x> ((x|gnome)terminal)
<super><f> firefox
<super><g> gedit
<super><n> nautilus --no-desktop

I still have not figured out how to set the keyboard delay/repeat speed (which is driving me nuts).

If any of you have any tips on how to get rid of the gnome login window, and use your own, as well as further supplements for getting rid of gnome and going pure-compiz, that'd be GREAT. OR, if you know a BETTER way to do this, that would be great as well.

I really don't know how compiz works, nor what the difference is between a window manager and a desktop environment, so i may not be doing this the best way; i'm just happy to be off on the right direction ;)

===EDIT===
I also tried bmpanel, which is attractive, but lacks many configuration options (and you have to shell a command to launch the config window, as there is no right click options for that panel). So, i decided to try the xfce4-panel before sticking with lxpanel, and it was a win. You can move it to the SIDE of the screen like you used to be able to do with the gnome panel, and even set launchers and transparency, etc.

I updated the above post to include numlockx on login.

Now, to tackle Multimedia Controls:
In compiz settings manager, add 2 new commands, on seperate lines:

amixer set Master 10%+ > /dev/null
amixer set Master 10%- > /dev/null
and bind them to your keyboard's volume controls. i'll update this post shortly with the mute, prev, and next buttons...

This seems to work for Mute:

amixer set Master toggle > /dev/null
Ok, i found a way to change the keyboard's delay and repeat rate, but it has to be done as root, and the delay will not go below 250ms, which is WAY too long for me, so i'm going to digg further on this:

[=▼=]# kbdrate -r 30 -d 64
Ok, i found this, man setx for more info; you should probably add this to your startup script:

[=▼=]$ xset r rate 200 25
man xserver shows this, which may also be useful:

-ardelay milliseconds
sets the autorepeat delay (length of time in milliseconds that
a key must be depressed before autorepeat starts).

-arinterval milliseconds
sets the autorepeat interval (length of time in milliseconds
that should elapse between autorepeat-generated keystrokes).
Still haven't found a way to make the text cursor blink faster...

This may help to get rid of the Gnome Login screen:

[=▼=]# yum info xorg-x11-xdm
Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
Available Packages
Name : xorg-x11-xdm
Arch : x86_64
Epoch : 1
Version : 1.1.6
Release : 22.fc15
Size : 129 k
Repo : fedora
Summary : X.Org X11 xdm - X Display Manager
URL : http://www.x.org
License : MIT
Description : X.Org X11 xdm - X Display Manager
in /etc/X11/prefdm add this line above the line for gdm fallback ONLY if you want to use xdm (this assumes you've INSTALLED xorg-x11-xdm:

# Fallbacks, in order
exec xdm "$@" >/dev/null 2>&1 </dev/null

That was a waste of time, no one really uses the compiz forum any more as it's totally overrun with spam (it's disgrace and IMO the forum should be closed).

http://forum.compiz.org/index.php

Vector
5th June 2011, 08:25 AM
Wow, that's sad; it's like Dmoz then! I never got an answer, and within a few minutes i figured out what i had asked over there anyway (as usual; i always ask something, then figure it out before it gets answered; i guess i need to do MORE homework before i ask questions ...)

satanselbow
6th June 2011, 12:21 PM

Write your yum line quoted and you can ;)

su -c "yum -y install ccsm compiz compiz-* libcompizconfig fusion-icon numlockx"

...anything to save typing a few char :C

Vector
6th June 2011, 12:28 PM
i was referring to the compiz startup script that is launched when you login. If you have an ampersad after compiz-manager in that script, it will fail, whereas with the rest of the commands in that script, it is fine to have the ampersand after the command ;).

bob
9th June 2011, 12:41 PM
A number of posts were deleted since they had no place on Guides & Solutions. Discussions on DE's, personal opinions, etc. should be handled in other sub-Forums.

Xavior
11th June 2011, 10:34 PM
I like the effects Compiz has to offer, like the cube effect because it shows very clearly what gandma windows can't do,
that bloated registry that keep track of everything you do on your PC is older than the shuttle and even the shuttle is being put out of it's misery, though not soon enough, which brings to mind that windows should have been dropped long ago!

lol,

droidhacker
14th June 2011, 03:11 PM
Well, after wrestling with gnome3 ever since F15 launched.... and hating every second of it (it truly sucks), I briefly implemented the solution listed in this thread before getting frustrated with the KDE-like all-in-one menu that comes along with xfce. It felt like kde-10-years-ago. Didn't work for me.

I looked into it a little more, and realized that gnome-panel (i.e. gnome 2.x) is still with us!!!

First off, there is a login session option -- gnome panel with compiz. If compiz is your flavor, that would do the job. If you don't like compiz, there is always "fallback" mode. "System Settings" -> ''System Info'' -> ''Graphics'', turn on the "forced fallback mode". There's gnome-session withOUT any compositing.

At first glance, in these modes, gnome-panel appears to be CRIPPLED. Right clicking on things doesn't do anything -- it looks like a themed version of gnome-shell, outwardly looking in some ways similar to the old gnome-panel, but not being the same.

IN REALITY, it *is* more or less the same thing, but they added an idiot mode to it. If you want to right click on anything, hold down the ALT button -- then right clicking actually works and gnome-panel resumes pre-gnome-shell functionality (albeit in black, but this can be fixed by alt-right-clicking on the panel and adjusting to suit). Not a big deal.

Anyway, the old gnome is still with us, at least for now.

Qualification of "it sucks". I am aware that there are a lot of people spouting on about the "technical merits" of gnome-session.... I am willing to entertain their arguments about human thought processes and why it is a much more sophisticated and powerful solution than gnome-panel, but it is, at least at this stage, bloody cumbersome to actually use. Especially when you use multiple displays. You can't even put a panel onto the second display!!! No window lists except when you do that crazy zoom-out thing -- when you get to see your windows in microscopic form and have to guess which one you're clicking on. I was temporarily solving this insanity by running tint2 -- at least I could get a window list on the bottom of each monitor corresponding to what is actually running on that monitor.

I also fail to see why they *MUST* use compositing for gnome-shell. Its a pretty basic menu overlay system, not unlike the "applications" menu for gnome-panel, just a whole lot bigger. Why do they have to force you to use the bloated compositing crap to work this thing? And why does gnome-shell have to be SO DAMNED BIG? I don't want to be chasing several times across my monitors to do every simple thing!!!!! Keep the stages physically close!

And then of course, there is the nightly lock up.... why is it that every morning when I get to my desk, the stupid thing won't unlock? The lock screen presents itself, sometimes it even lets me type in my password, but it will NEVER actually unlock. Ctrl-Alt-F2, login as root, init 3, init 5.

Anyway, end of rant. Gnome-shell is still an experiment. There is a LONG way for them to go before it even begins to approach "usable". Good luck to them with it, but I'm not interested in being a Guinea pig any longer. I need to actually get some work done.

Vector
14th June 2011, 09:57 PM
@droidhacker:
I believe that 90+% of your post belong more in a place like this:
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=81
or this:
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25

As far as a "native?" option to boot just gnome-panel with compiz, i've never seen it, which is why i wrote this howto.

But i could've used you around when i tried to root my phone :D (too late, i smashed it).

FYI for the rest of you, i've been FORCED to downgraded back to Fedora 14, due to some problems i had in the threads below, so i won't be adding any more to this thread.
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=263973
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=264543
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=264598

So, you can get 99% of the way there. If anyone knows the way to have XDM start the sound daemon (i think that might be fairly simple), then it'd be about 100%. Something like adding "pulseaudio -D" to your startup script MAY work, but i can't test that out now, sorry.

droidhacker
14th June 2011, 10:38 PM
@droidhacker:
I believe that 90+% of your post belong more in a place like this:
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=81
or this:
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25
I dont know what you read, but nothing I wrote belongs there.

As far as a "native?" option to boot just gnome-panel with compiz, i've never seen it, which is why i wrote this howto.
When you click on your username, there is a little drop menu just below and on the left. Select it from there.

But i could've used you around when i tried to root my phone :D (too late, i smashed it).
Should only buy phones that ship from factory with root.

FYI for the rest of you, i've been FORCED to downgraded back to Fedora 14, due to some problems i had in the threads below, so i won't be adding any more to this thread.
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=263973
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=264543
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=264598
The raid thing could probably have been fixed by a kernel up/down grade. The slow mysql has to do with a default setting -- something to do with syncing the disk after every query rather than every x number of seconds.... better reliability, but slower. You could have adjusted this. The last one... don't know.

So, you can get 99% of the way there. If anyone knows the way to have XDM start the sound daemon (i think that might be fairly simple), then it'd be about 100%.
Can't help you there.

Vector
14th June 2011, 10:45 PM
The reason i said the first part is because i didn't really see how anything you said, other than 1 point, had to do with getting a pure compiz desktop (or, just getting rid of gnome through compiz); it just seemed like the rest was a rant, which isn't productive in a "howto" guide.

As far as the issues that caused me to downgrade: the mysql thing was a couple of bugs in 5.5. One of them was soon to be fixed, but i had too many other problems with 15, and there were still other bugs in mysql, so it was best just to downgrade, and stay at 14. I've always advocated keeping your server current, but 15 made me put my foot in my mouth. The good news is that mysql accepted my feature request to restore some of the stored routine editing functionality from Query Browser into Workbench. The other mysql 5.5 bugs should be gone some time soon, too.

By the way, i updated my previous post and the first post to point to a possible solution for XDM login that starts the sound daemon (i can't test it though, as i'm running a live server too).

droidhacker
14th June 2011, 11:22 PM
The reason i said the first part is because i didn't really see how anything you said, other than 1 point, had to do with getting a pure compiz desktop (or, just getting rid of gnome through compiz); it just seemed like the rest was a rant, which isn't productive in a "howto" guide.

As far as the issues that caused me to downgrade: the mysql thing was a couple of bugs in 5.5. One of them was soon to be fixed, but i had too many other problems with 15, and there were still other bugs in mysql, so it was best just to downgrade, and stay at 14. I've always advocated keeping your server current, but 15 made me put my foot in my mouth. The good news is that mysql accepted my feature request to restore some of the stored routine editing functionality from Query Browser into Workbench. The other mysql 5.5 bugs should be gone some time soon, too.

By the way, i updated my previous post and the first post to point to a possible solution for XDM login that starts the sound daemon (i can't test it though, as i'm running a live server too).

... and the bugs in 5.5 had to do with default settings that interact badly with ext4. EASILY adjusted.

Vector
15th June 2011, 12:16 AM
1 of the issues may have been as you say, as it had an issue with temporary tables, which are in memory by default, but they were either (a) ALL being FORCED to disk, or, (b) the few that WERE being forced to disk had the problem you speak of. One other issue was with in memory variables (eg, @this = 'that') were not being handled correctly, and had to be reallocated upon each loop, and consumed more memory (they were never deallocated). There was also an issue with stored procedures taking $calls*$execution_time to execute (the more they were executed, the longer they took to execute).

I'm probably wrong on the EXACT specifics, but they were something along that line. I believe those weren't the only problems either; they were just the one's that i came across and actually noticed. The temp table issue may have very well be a result of what you are referring to. There was already bugs filed against all of the issues i had, and i filed the feture request for Workbench to allow you to open, edit, and KEEP OPEN, stored routines, in tabs, like Query Browser did (i use that CONSTANTLY). Not sure when all of that will be ironed out, but it's probably a safe bet to say that Fedora 16 will be much smoother (aside from the whole Gnome issue).

droidhacker
15th June 2011, 03:03 PM
If anybody is interested, I've "repaired" gnome-panel 3 to add back in the missing functionality. WHY did they remove the "System" menu? If gnome-panel is on the road to death, are they trying to kill it more rapidly by stripping it of useful functionality?

In any case, attached is ONE file split into 4 parts (thanks fedoraforum :rolleyes:).
Concatenate them in order into ONE file named with the last 2 suffixes removed.

Its a SOURCE RPM, so you can compile if yourself (its easy enough to run rpmbuild...)

2 files are changed... gnome-panel/panel-menu-items.c and gnome-panel/panel-menu-bar.c

I know it would be better if I made a patch, but.... easier this way, so deal with it :dance:

Edit: leigh123linux unsplit the file and posted below. Thanks!

leigh123linux
15th June 2011, 04:30 PM
srpm uploaded.

dedanna1029
16th June 2011, 04:39 AM
Oh, god! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you both so much! :)

*worships you from on high*

I'm serious. You're both gods.