PDA

View Full Version : KDE OR GNOME in FC3?

tron_gr
10th November 2004, 10:59 AM
please can anyone tell me the best gui? and no for the view feeling but for the best support

thanks

Sniffer
10th November 2004, 11:02 AM
KDE for newbies - the most similar to windows

Gnome - My Favourite.....very polish but not so simple...at least for rookies at first sight

XFCE and lightweight env - for people who know what they are doing....you have to integrate gnome and KDE apps on it .....and sometimes is a headache

Finalzone
10th November 2004, 11:47 AM
I am now Gnome lover, Here is my current Desktop.

zAo
10th November 2004, 01:08 PM
For me: XFCE4. Its fast, nice looking and flexable.

KDE or Gnome? Gnome for me: its faster and feels better, cant say why :confused:

jayemef
10th November 2004, 01:59 PM
You're going to find that most redhat users perfer gnome. This is mostly because redhat has used gnome as it's default for a long time. It's even still the default in Fedora, though at least the distro comes with others. But either way, you'll probably find that your poll resutls will be a bit skewed.

There is no BEST desktop environment or windows manager. It's all based on personal preference. I like fluxbox for the speed, customizability, and minimalistic look, but that's me. Others will tell you they hate it. Try both out, as well as others (check out http://xwinman.org/ for many other) and decide for yourself what works for you.

:)

Psquared
10th November 2004, 02:37 PM
KDE for newbies - the most similar to windows

Gnome - My Favourite.....very polish but not so simple...at least for rookies at first sight

XFCE and lightweight env - for people who know what they are doing....you have to integrate gnome and KDE apps on it .....and sometimes is a headache

The new version of Xfce does this automatically. (it is a beta release --- ver 4.2)

Fluxbox is another lightweight WM/DE but its a little too plain for me. I have a pretty fast box so I don't gain anything by using it.

Afterstep and Enlightenment are fun to play with, but are too hard to get used to.

Between the two I spend more time in Gnome.

deuch
10th November 2004, 03:01 PM
I prefer GNOME .... just a question of feeling that's all ...

yur1022
10th November 2004, 05:40 PM
XFce is my favorite. It is slim, fast, and simple, but does all I need. Between GNOME and KDE, I choose KDE, mainly because of controllability (according to my past experience). Another factor, which is not related to the real or perceived quality, is the KDE-Redhat project. Thanks to the KDE-Redhat project, I can easily get the original and up-to-date KDE. Getting the up-to-date GNOME has been quite challenging to be (despite the efforts from NyQuist).

yur

carbo18
11th November 2004, 07:36 AM
Another Mac OS theme...

carbo18
11th November 2004, 07:37 AM
I am now Gnome lover, Here is my current Desktop.

Another Mac OS theme... Original :rolleyes:

I wish someone would invent a linux theme... that is nicer than the standard ones... so people wouldn't want to imitate Mac OS X. :p

Gnome mostly. Sometimes KDE...

imdeemvp
11th November 2004, 09:21 AM
I have not install fc3 yet but I always prefer Gnome....since the first day I was introduced to linux.

j_baer
17th November 2004, 08:36 PM
My observation has been KDE is more Mac'ish and Gnome more Win'ish. They both work well and are very well supported.

I usually go with the default GUI for the distro I am installing. For SuSE v9.1 it was KDE, SuSE v9.2 is Gnome.

Ubuntu is Gnome, and obvisiously Fedora is Gnome. Some packages offer perks. Folks seem to like K3B CD disk duplicaton software from KDE. I have used it and it is nice, but I have also used xcdroast and it works.

What I like most about my current desktop is the tight integration of products. For example open office inherits the gnome theme. This would probably be true for KDE but I have not tested it.

Good luck ...

j_baer

hollenjj
17th November 2004, 08:47 PM
KDE or GNOME? NEITHER!

XFCE4 all the way!!!

imdeemvp
17th November 2004, 08:51 PM
KDE or GNOME? NEITHER!

XFCE4 all the way!!!
I have not devoted enough time to really play with xfce4 but I know is a bit faster.

kennon
18th November 2004, 12:20 AM
For me it really depends on the distro like j_baer said. I have been a redhat user since 7.3 and I always use Gnome for Redhat/Fedora distros, but in the last year I have played around with Mandrake 10 and Suse 9.0 & 9.1 because FC 1 & 2 didn't run well on my laptop for reasons too numerous to get into here, and on both of those I ran KDE. Now I am running FC3 final and I have fallen back in love with Gnome. Since I have been using Gnome for a while though, (outside of this last year or so) when I think Linux I imagine Gnome and I am happy that FC3 is such a great OS. I was starting to worry about Fedora...but I am happily back home again with Gnome.

Try them both. A lot of new users prefer KDE because it is more polished looking by default. But Gnome is where the heart is...heh almost punny...

wmdejen
18th November 2004, 07:59 AM
Gnome rules!!! ;-)

brlmedia
21st November 2004, 05:33 AM
toughy, i'm on a red hat 9 box with kde writing this as my fc3 updates, love gnome for it's polished professional look, as it's been said it's about trying all of them out and picking the one your most comfy with

ps- will be "peeking at kde in fc3"

Ph34rT3hP3ngu1n
21st November 2004, 04:14 PM
i agree with that last post, the sleek professional look of gnome default attracted me... kde appeared a little too goofey to me, so i don't use it much. btw switching is easy in fc3 but i don't reccommend it, every time i do my desktop icons get moved all over the place, and also i like the little right-click command "open in terminal". I mean look at my distro list... yes i have 3 versions of knoppix which uses kde, but i rarely use them. just pick yer pony after you get a feel for it.
-ph34r

Paul_Vandenberg
21st November 2004, 04:55 PM
I won't use GNOME again until I can edit menus.

Paul

LinuxNewb
21st November 2004, 05:19 PM
i personally like gnome but im still new havent had time to mess around i tried KDE but didnt like it at all

Shadow Skill
21st November 2004, 11:31 PM
Off topic but how can I resize my desktop screenshot without cropping the picture, the dammned screenshot is 1.6 megs! As for my desktop preference I love fluxbox and Xfce but I use gnome exclusively now.

LinuxNewb
21st November 2004, 11:39 PM
hmm if its 1.6 megs im assuming its a .BMP , re-save it as a .JPG

Shadow Skill
21st November 2004, 11:42 PM
Its a png file, but I guess it is worth a try.

LinuxNewb
21st November 2004, 11:47 PM
converting it over to .JPG should reduce the size considerably,

Shadow Skill
22nd November 2004, 12:00 AM
It worked, I should have just tried that earlier....anyway heres the link to my desktop .http://www.fedoraforum.org/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-232

Could one of the moderators move the picture in the link to screenshots and update the link in this post or tell me how to do it, I put it in the wrong gallery. :o

LinuxNewb
22nd November 2004, 12:09 AM
how did u get the transparency very nice pic tho

Shadow Skill
22nd November 2004, 03:04 AM
Edit the current profile then go to effects and select transparency.

msimplay
22nd November 2004, 03:08 AM
kde is my favourite desktop however Fedoras default desktop is Gnome and so has better support for it as standard so in Fedora my choice would be Gnome

Dewey
22nd November 2004, 03:23 AM
KDE looks a whole lot better by default, and it is alot easier to make look cool. (If that's your thing) there's so many Super-Karamba themes compared to GDesklets.

But overall, I'm a gnome lover, it just works.

stonecrest
22nd November 2004, 03:58 AM
Mark me down as another Xfce lover ;) If I had to choose between gnome and kde, I'd go with gnome but neither one is really my taste. Xfce running on FC3 is just blazing fast, I love the simplicity of it and I find it to be much more appealing visually. As soon as Xfce4.2 is officially released, I think you're going to see a lot of people switching.. :D

Lopov
22nd November 2004, 04:36 AM
At install I unchecked all gnome stuff and just use kde.

sailor
22nd November 2004, 06:17 AM
I generally install both KDE and Gnome. I have tried to use Gnome , but I keep coming back to KDE. ...so I am going with what I know.

Shadow Skill
22nd November 2004, 06:44 AM
Anyone know why KDE seems to worm its way into every one of my clean installs of FC, it always manages to get installed even when I uncheck it, I'm guessing there is a dep that needs kde to be satisfied but I just want to be sure.

EvolutionR
22nd November 2004, 05:30 PM
Hello Linux Users out there!
Previously I've used SuSe 9.1 Pro, Kde3.2, later switched to the New
"Fedora Core 3" with Gnome 2.8 Desktop!
Here's my screenshot of my Linux Box (Fedora Core 3)(Gnome 2.8).

Linux Format Rating for "Gnome 2.8" *9/10*
"KDE 3.3" *8/10*

Thanks to Linux Format!
For Linux Users or Newbies you can subscribe the Linux Format Magazine
at www.linuxformat.co.uk

It's wort it! :)

montecarloss
23rd November 2004, 06:36 PM
I prefer gnome

Dameon87
24th November 2004, 03:44 AM
Gnome all the way!

Darrell Lawrenc
13th December 2004, 08:36 AM
I'm a newbie to Linux. I kept going back and forth between KDE and Gnome. I like them both, but finally settled on Gnome as my favorite. It seems faster, and allows you to really cutomize the look and feel of your desktop. Attached is a screen shot of my Gnome desktop.

imdeemvp
13th December 2004, 08:40 AM
It seems faster
I believe so too :D

kennon
13th December 2004, 05:04 PM
Hey I have a question about gnome since we are on this topic. I see screenshots of people's desktops and their gnome panels are various widths. Mine always take up the whole width of the screen. How do you change that option?

yr2alex
13th December 2004, 06:37 PM
love them both but prefer KDE!!!

07dcolem
13th December 2004, 06:46 PM
I'm sort of a newb and my computer came out of the shop with GNOME, I then figured out it was possible to switch and found out that I really liked KDE better, for some reason, just seems more feature filled I guess...

MrMichaelWill
5th January 2005, 04:48 AM
I have gotten so used to using KDE because of the following:

1. kmail is a reasonably fast graphical mail client, addressbook is visible on my palm
2. korganizer is my calendar
3. knotes pop up my notes from the palm
4. kpilot syncs addressbook, calendar and notes with my PalmPilot.
5. konsole is a terminal with essential features like named tabs as well as activity/silence notificators.
6. k3b is my prefered way to create DVD's and mp3 CDs - if only it would be integrated with a cover printing
module already - it's in the works I heard.

I will have to try gnome one more time to see if evolution did finally evolve into something more useful than
last time I checked. But most of the gnome apps I can run without the gnome framework around it, in
particular gimp ;-)

Michael

shangyung
5th January 2005, 05:19 AM
KDE, ever since KDE 1.0.

Uhlix
5th January 2005, 05:34 AM
KDE =)

never used gnome...dont know why

syborg
5th January 2005, 06:01 AM
KDE for me. I used to use Gnome since that was the default in Redhat, but I had some problems with Ximian and then I switched to KDE. It's been so long that I don't remember what the problem was, but since then I've always loaded KDE. However, since so many of the responders like Gnome maybe I'll give it another try.

dnar
5th January 2005, 07:35 AM
No option for XFce ?

Adesso
5th January 2005, 01:55 PM
i am rather new to Linux and have been playing with it since Shrike or RedHat 9 ...

In the beginning everyone suggested KDE.. and that is what I tried .. and what a pleasure....

recently I upgraded to FC3 and decided to try out Gnome....

Currently I would still preffer KDE but GNOME is impressing my every day more and more...

One thing that I did notice is that there are less shortcuts in GNOME than in KDE... a simple example is the Cntrl+F1-F4 shortcut for your desktops...

I voted for GNOME but have noticed that some programs I like is targeted toward KDE... like quanta for instance...

Install them both and play for yourself to find out which one you like most.... Soon I'll be moving on to the speed deamon XFCE4 .....

neilius
6th January 2005, 12:33 AM
Gnome.

Regards,

Neil. :)

Rock
6th January 2005, 01:12 AM
KDE pwnz GNOME.

Dan13
21st January 2005, 04:52 PM
Hi,

I am new to fedoraforum.org.

I have a problem with GNOME. I have installed the latest patch for Fedora 3. Just not sure what happen, both the top (main dropdown menu) and bottom (active application, etc.) panel disappeared. What's left are the trash, home and computer icon on the desktop. To shutdown, logoff, etc. only CTRL + ALT + DEL is available.

How can reactivate the GNOME top and bottom panel? Thanks. :mad:

adam
21st January 2005, 06:22 PM
I don't care if Gnome is faster or not, because my hardware makes everything run fast. I prefer KDE, because it's more functional to me and easier. I am not so abitious to modify every tiny little thing using some strange non-menu techniques, maybe that's because of I am a newbie. I am also a desktop-beauty lover and I think KDE is just simply nicer. And the most important thing is I can always run Gnome apps on KDE, which I had problems the other way round. So probably KDE+Gnome with KDE as prior would be my vote. =)

I'd probably think different if the weight was important to me.

Take care

sailor
21st January 2005, 07:22 PM
KDE is by far the better choice...easier to configure, more options and it can look any way you want it to...
these gnome people are just fanatics...:p

sph
21st January 2005, 07:55 PM
for me a desktop has to be fast and simple or in other words... xfce :)

Substance
21st January 2005, 08:04 PM
How do I boot into KDE on FC3 instead of GNOME?

tiberiu
21st January 2005, 10:06 PM
You should use: Desktop Switching Tool

I love konqueror desktop environment!

Best regards!

hav0x
22nd January 2005, 02:12 AM
when i started with linux i went with KDE its a nice wmn.
In Fedora im using Gnome and i must say it grows on you :P havent used KDE in quite a while now (dont see the point) :)

the_profiler
22nd January 2005, 02:40 AM
can someone post the exact location of that MAC OS X theme? :confused:

hotfixus
22nd January 2005, 04:54 PM
I used to use KDE, but now with FC3 i use only Gnome. :)

ieuuk
23rd January 2005, 12:13 AM
my kde never works.... and my gnome - hmmm lets call it "special" see if you can notice whats so special about it....

adam
23rd January 2005, 08:18 PM
haha =)
Man, was it worth to buy so many printers? =)

greatscot
23rd January 2005, 09:31 PM
I started in Linux using FC1 and Gnome, then moved to KDE. Now I am using WindowMaker in FC3 and it is a very nice wm. See my current desktop (http://www.fedoraforum.org/gallery/showimage.php?i=414&c=1&cutoffdate=all)

ieuuk
23rd January 2005, 11:24 PM
haha =)
Man, was it worth to buy so many printers? =)

i dont even have one connected up to my server - thats what makes it so weird.. lol

Ph34rT3hP3ngu1n
24th January 2005, 02:26 AM
i prefer gnome, but since fc2 to fc3 there's one thing that bugs me.... my precious "open with terminal" right-click button has disappeared! it is one of my favorite things about gnome... but i like the polished look, very professional, it's like comparing the gui of knoppix to redhat...
-ph34r

AJB2K3
31st January 2005, 10:40 AM
kde cus i can edit the menu,
gnome cus of the desktop icon.
KDE also has a habit of hiding menu entrys in normal use.

Paul_Vandenberg
31st January 2005, 11:23 AM
Myself, I voted GNOME, but now have switched to KDE. I got tired of having no menu editing. Not everything comes in a nice RPM with a *.desktop file for a menu entry. For example, I use Sunbird as my calendar and it is only available as a tarball.

greatscot
31st January 2005, 05:28 PM
You forgot to give users the choice of "Other". I use Window Maker instead of KDE or Gnome.
Window Maker is fast (1 second to load after login) and light.

killaweegee
31st January 2005, 07:15 PM
KDE is too much eyecandy for me. GNOME if my personal choice.