PDA

View Full Version : Gnome3! What A Piece Of Work!

bob
25th May 2011, 02:28 PM
So, the normal rant then has about 10 expletives in the first sentence, etc. ;) Yeah, guys, we know. This is REALLY different and controls, such as they are, don't function the way you're used to.

To tell the truth, I hated Gnome3 with a passion when I first installed the Beta. It looks childish (to me) and the functionality was dumbed down to my grandkid's level...or so it seemed. I seriously thought of dumping Fedora at one point.

BUT....I also had a chance to play with it for a couple of weeks and to grab some tweaks that changed my mind completely. So, before you fire off that Rant, check out some options: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=263006 There's still a chance that Fedora and Gnome3 can work.

Also, remember that the Forum members and Staff didn't have anything to do with Gnome3 or F15. We're just the end users. So, if you really want to make them notice, grab that FedoraProject link and Communicate with the ones responsible.

leigh123linux
25th May 2011, 02:39 PM
So, the normal rant then has about 10 expletives in the first sentence, etc. ;) Yeah, guys, we know. This is REALLY different and controls, such as they are, don't function the way you're used to.

To tell the truth, I hated Gnome3 with a passion when I first installed the Beta. It looks childish (to me) and the functionality was dumbed down to my grandkid's level...or so it seemed. I seriously thought of dumping Fedora at one point.

BUT....I also had a chance to play with it for a couple of weeks and to grab some tweaks that changed my mind completely. So, before you fire off that Rant, check out some options: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=263006 There's still a chance that Fedora and Gnome3 can work.

Also, remember that the Forum members and Staff didn't have anything to do with Gnome3 or F15. We're just the end users. So, if you really want to make them notice, grab that FedoraProject link and Communicate with the ones responsible.

It would be better directing the anger at the Gnome devs directly.

http://www.gnome.org/gnome-3/

NCCarlos
25th May 2011, 02:57 PM
Based on comments I read here I expected to hate it, too. I've been using it only one day, but so far I love it.

Iron_Mike
25th May 2011, 03:57 PM
It would be better directing the anger at the Gnome devs directly.

http://www.gnome.org/gnome-3/

I fixed this for you Leigh.

It would be better directing the anger at the Gnome (elves )directly......:D

LinuxTom
26th May 2011, 02:10 PM
Hello all, been quite busy and haven't been on here for very along while. Needless to say the roll-out of Gnome 3, was bound to elicit a response in me.

Years ago I was a KDE guy, then came the release of KDE 4, I rapidly switched to Gnome. Now with Gnome 3, I am trying to switch back to KDE, as Gnome 3 is simply not ready for consumption. Alas, I find that KDE 4.x while much better than years past, still is not up to par. Maybe I'll give XFCE another whirl.

My biggest gripe with GNOME 3, is that it looks like a thinly veiled attempt to integrate features of Android OS into mainstream Linux distros. I suspect that by 3rd Q 2013, it may be configurable and pretty cool. Until then what do I do? Solaris express still has, umm, "Classic" Gnome.

As far as directing anger at developers, first off they won't listen and it won't matter. Ever tried directing anger at an elected official? Same difference. Plus, if the ever actually fix the mess, it might be kind of, sort of, ok.

schotty
27th May 2011, 12:22 PM
Based on comments I read here I expected to hate it, too. I've been using it only one day, but so far I love it.

Ditto that. I am really digging GNOME3, despite hearing all the hate flowing inbound their way. I thought that I may need to skip a release of Fedora or go and try to mangle my way through KDE4 (just not a fan, nothing personal or anything) or suck it up and relearn Fluxbox again.

Gotta say I am happy :D
Thanks to the devs who made it possible.

markus39
27th May 2011, 02:05 PM
Ditto that. I am really digging GNOME3, despite hearing all the hate flowing inbound their way. I thought that I may need to skip a release of Fedora or go and try to mangle my way through KDE4 (just not a fan, nothing personal or anything) or suck it up and relearn Fluxbox again.

Gotta say I am happy :D
Thanks to the devs who made it possible.

I use it since yesterday, tweaked it pretty fast with help of Googling and I' m amazed what already is out there. Except Gnome-tweak-tool, there is not yet a extensive GUI for tweaking, but even without this, I was up and running in no time.

After all the post of hate I was expecting a backlash for me, using Gnome pretty extensive at home, since 1998, and at my work on several heavy duty workstations. But to my suprise I already start to see how dated Gnome 2 is on the Scientific Linux workstations we have.

I' m as excited as the time, long ago, when Gnome 2 took over from Gnome 1. And as was then, a lot of people were not happy because there workflow was broken. I think the Gnome people did a top job.

Mariusz W
27th May 2011, 08:19 PM

I wasn't going to be swayed one way or the other before I saw GNOME 3 with my own eyes and made an effort to familiarize myself with how it was designed to function.

Using GNOME 3 certainly requires changing old habits but I generally like what I see in GNOME 3. I don't think it will hamper my productivity. More likely it will increase it, and will take my desktop experience to a higher level.

Paradoxically, in comparison with GNOME 2, it feels a lot more like a minimalist desktop à la fluxbox or Openbox -- not minimalist in the sense of resources, of course -- rather in the sense of how quickly one fires applications and switches from one to another. And, of course, it frees us from the distracting clutter of all those panels and icons getting in the way of open application windows.

Finalzone
27th May 2011, 08:42 PM
Gnome shell has improved productivity with assignment of different activities on each dynamic workspace. Combining both keys and mouse never felt so much better on a laptop to the point of being second nature.
My previous test with Sugar Interface and OS X allowed me to quickly adapt to this DE. Now that wireless network problem is resolved, I can effectively resume my work that requires online access.