PDA

View Full Version : Sound Input Issues

MrStill
1st May 2011, 05:59 AM
Hello,

I am currently running Fedora 14 64bit with Gnome on my HP Touchsmart.

I recently tried the RecordMyDesktop gtk app to make a screen capture video. I found that there were issues with the audio recording procedure using my laptop's on board mic. I tried Istanbul, another desktop recorder, before moving on to try the gnome sound recorder. I had no luck recording audio with any of these applications. I was, however, able to record sound through the terminal using arecord.

I didn't know where to start working on this issue and would gladly take any help I can get. Also, if more information is needed to help with a diagnosis, I will gladly post it.

Thanks
Joseph

oldcpu
1st May 2011, 11:12 AM
I recently tried the RecordMyDesktop gtk app to make a screen capture video. I found that there were issues with the audio recording procedure using my laptop's on board mic. I tried Istanbul, another desktop recorder, before moving on to try the gnome sound recorder. I had no luck recording audio with any of these applications. I was, however, able to record sound through the terminal using arecord.

I didn't know where to start working on this issue and would gladly take any help I can get.

Possibly you have more than one sound device and need to tune pulse audio for each of those applications / device combinations ?

You could install pavucontrol (if not already installed) and then when running a record application launch 'pavucontrol' and check out what devices it has assigned for INPUT and for RECORDING.

MrStill
2nd May 2011, 03:06 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I installed the pulse audio volume control. I found that the mics on my computer are a stereo pair. I tried playing around with the control and with gnome recorder as well as RecordMyDesktop. I found that there is a small clip of audio that is recorded, roughly one second for five to ten seconds of record time. This audio sounds fine, but then nothing.