PDA

View Full Version : HP Printing

whitedragon551
28th April 2011, 12:52 AM
This is sort of hardware and software based, but more software based as I know the printer is fine.

I have taken a break from using Fedora, but since getting my netbook Ive decided to dual boot with Windows 7 Started (warranty purposes) and Fedora 14 with Fedora as the default boot OS.

Now Ive got my home network setup as follows:

Gaming laptop, Windows 7 Pro x64, external powered USB hub with 1.5TB HD with shared folders through windows share permissions and the HP Deskjet F2430 printer

Netbook 1, my wifes netbook, Windows 7 Starter, has 100% access to the windows shares and the printer.

Netbook 2, my netbook, Fedora 14 has windows shared folder access but no printer access. In Windows 7 Starter has access to windows shared folders and printer access.

All of them are wirelessly networked through my Linksys WRTG54GS thats flashed with DD-WRT Mega firmware. The only laptop that has a hardwired connection to the printer and HD is my gaming laptop.

Any ideas on how to go about allowing this? My printer doesnt show up in the CUPS wizard.

smr54
28th April 2011, 01:11 AM
With HP, the hplip package often works quite well.

I would try installing it.

yum install hplip

Then, I would try

hp-setup -i <printer_IP_address>

There's a very good chance it will find it and create a driver for it.

whitedragon551
28th April 2011, 01:12 AM
Its installed, but the printer still doesnt show up in CUPS.

Now the printer isnt wireless. Where would I get the IP from?

smr54
28th April 2011, 04:59 AM
Ah, missed that. What about hp-setup -i (It should then, I *think*) give you a choice of connections, e.g. 1) USB 2) network, something like that.

I could be wrong about that though.

whitedragon551
28th April 2011, 05:14 AM
Ah, missed that. What about hp-setup -i (It should then, I *think*) give you a choice of connections, e.g. 1) USB 2) network, something like that.

I could be wrong about that though.

hp-setup -i brought up the Setup Connection Type. However selecting 0, 1, and 2 for Network/Ethernet/Wireless gave me an error. Says No Device selected/specified or that supports this functionality.

According to Windows its setup on USB0001 which is a Virtual Printer Port for USB.

marko
28th April 2011, 05:54 AM
hp-setup -i brought up the Setup Connection Type. However selecting 0, 1, and 2 for Network/Ethernet/Wireless gave me an error. Says No Device selected/specified or that supports this functionality.

According to Windows its setup on USB0001 which is a Virtual Printer Port for USB.

Try

hp-setup --help

to see the various options

marriedto51
28th April 2011, 09:53 AM
Have I read your original post right: do you have the printer connected via USB to your Windows gaming laptop?

If so, I think you will want to print via a connection to that machine. In short, to do that:
1) you will need to install the package samba-client (which gives you access to Windows-type file and printer sharing);
2) you should use system-config-printer: Server → New → Printer; then Network Printer in left pane, “Windows Printer via SAMBA” and click “Browse…”.

(That's a very terse description in case I've misunderstood what you want -- happy to give more detail if needed!)

whitedragon551
29th April 2011, 12:32 AM
Have I read your original post right: do you have the printer connected via USB to your Windows gaming laptop?

If so, I think you will want to print via a connection to that machine. In short, to do that:
1) you will need to install the package samba-client (which gives you access to Windows-type file and printer sharing);
2) you should use system-config-printer: Server → New → Printer; then Network Printer in left pane, “Windows Printer via SAMBA” and click “Browse…”.

(That's a very terse description in case I've misunderstood what you want -- happy to give more detail if needed!)

Perfect. You understood right. The printer is wired to a powered USB hub which is then wired to my gaming laptop USB port. My gaming laptop is on all the time as its the main connection from the netbooks to the printer.

CronoCloud
29th April 2011, 02:26 AM

No need to use SAMBA since Windows can share printers with IPP.

Ron Rogers Jr. (CronoCloud)

whitedragon551
29th April 2011, 02:45 AM
No need to use SAMBA since Windows can share printers with IPP.

Ron Rogers Jr. (CronoCloud)

If I dont need SAMBA then how do I go about configuring IPP? Remember Im a Linux n00b. :(

marriedto51
29th April 2011, 09:34 AM
The following page looks quite detailed, and looks like the things I've done in the past: http://www.liberiangeek.net/2011/01/share-a-printer-in-windows-vista7-and-allow-fedora-14-laughlin-to-print-to-it/.

One comment I would make is that I have found it is a good idea for my HP printer to choose the foomatic driver when you get the chance, because that gives you more options when printing.

whitedragon551
30th April 2011, 09:11 PM
I tried that guide before I came here. Thats why Im here. Ive turned off both firewalls on the Netbook and on the gaming laptop and it still wont pick up anything.

EDIT- Got it to recognize the printer and I get to the describe printer page and hit apply and then I get a CUPS Server Error. It says there was an error during the CUPS operation: 'client-error-not-possible'.

marriedto51
1st May 2011, 02:07 PM
Sorry that guide wasn't useful. I don't personally recognize the CUPS error, either.

I have always made the connection to the shared printer using Samba (as I suggested above); I'm not suggesting it is the best possible way, but it works for me. Have you tried that as an alternative route?

whitedragon551
1st May 2011, 02:09 PM
If I can get the error resolved with CUPS Ill be able to print. It recognizes it, just gives me a configuration error on the Fedora side.

How do I configure SAMBA? Same way?

marriedto51
1st May 2011, 02:22 PM
How do I configure SAMBA? Same way?

What I have done is:

install the samba client package with

su -c 'yum install samba-client'
run system-config-printer (called "Printing" on the Fedora menu)
choose Server then New then Printer
choose "Network Printer" in the left pane
from the list that appears, choose "Windows Printer via SAMBA"
click the "Browse..." button next to the line edit widget that starts with "smb://"
choose the correct workgroup, host, and printer from the "SMB Browser" that appears
now click "Forward" in the "New Printer" window
choose the make (HP), click Forward; choose the model (Deskjet f2400?), click Forward
enter the description fields, and click Apply

(Hope I've not forgotten any steps...)

whitedragon551
1st May 2011, 02:51 PM
Its connected, just no driver for the F2430 so it wont print a test page. Anyone have a PPD file for this?

marriedto51
1st May 2011, 03:11 PM
When I try here, I get a driver listed under "Deskjet f2400" (for "HP Deskjet f2400 series").

I can't seem to find out where the relevant ppd file is. Perhaps check you have the packages hpijs and hplip installed?

whitedragon551
1st May 2011, 03:14 PM
The HPIJS and HPLIP are both installed. They were installed before, but I reinstalled them to verify.

smr54
1st May 2011, 03:27 PM
I believe that what should happen is that when cups is running it should create a ppd for the printer. There's a c++ file /usr/share/cups/drv/hp/hpcups.drv. That creates the ppd when you add the printer (in theory). It usually works pretty well.

marriedto51
1st May 2011, 03:38 PM
I can confirm that I also have the file smr54 mentions: it is part of the hpijs package, and it definitely includes definitions relating to the HP Deskjet f2430.

Perhaps you need to be sure the service CUPS is running? Try:

su -c 'service cups start'

If that is the problem, you may also want to configure CUPS to run all the time with

su -c 'chkconfig cups on'