PDA

View Full Version : Some Samba/printer questions

asc
7th November 2004, 04:38 PM
Hello,

I have just installed a printer which is connected to a windows machine on my FC 2 machine with the printer manager and its working fine. Since the windows printer is accessed via smb I would like to know what is going on behind the scenes. In particular I have the following questions:

(1) If a just want to access a printer or directories on a Windows machine but no resources are shared on the Linux machine, do I have to install the Samba-server on the Linux machine (or in other words: has the printer manager installed the Samba-server in order to access the printer on the Windows machine). I am asking this because every server is a potential security risk, so do not want to run any servers which are not necessary.
(2) Which configuration files are altered by the printer manager. Since I intend to become a Linux-pro :D one day I am interested in how I could do these things manually.
(3) Is there a command that lists all the servers that are running on my machine?

Regards,
--Alex

crackers
7th November 2004, 06:20 PM
1) No, you do not need to have nor run the SAMBA server. The base SAMBA package contains the client and associated libraries - that should be all you need.

2) /etc/printcap I believe is the only file involved. I'm not sure, though, because I don't have any Windows boxes.

3) Once again, to my knowledge, not really - this is more a matter of chasing down what packages you have installed and what processes are running, if you're talking about the FC box. If you're talking about determining what SMB "services" (shares) are available to the FC box from the Windows box, you can use the -L option with smbclient to get a listing.