PDA

View Full Version : VNC to CONSOLE / LOCAL session

Mr_Si
22nd April 2011, 12:23 AM
Hi All,

I use x11vnc on my Mepis installations which means I can SSH in and tunnel VNC through that so I can connect to the computer using VNC and see the same session that the user locally logged on is seeing.

However, I tried to install it on to to Fedora 14, the distro on my Desktop but was unsure as it seems to want XORG etc set up...? now, Fedora 14 as you all know has done away with the XORG way of doing things, so I was wondering if anyone here does the same as me.

I could use TigerVNC or VNCServer but in my past experience, they connect to different graphical sessions and not the same one as the user in front of the screen.

I'm looking for advice on the best method to do this and look forward to your answers.

Thank you in advance!

Simon

brunson
22nd April 2011, 01:39 AM
Gnome has vnc support (vino) built in. System -> Preferences -> Remote Desktop.

smr54
22nd April 2011, 03:43 AM
Sounds as if you don't want xorg running. As far as I know--though I've never tried to work around it--x11vnc, at least on RH based systems, requires that X be running. (I've only used it on RH based systems though)

I don't know about vino, you are correct about vnc, it will use the separate display from the one being used.

The other way would be to use screen or tmux. The other user starts a tmux session, giving it a name, then you can go in (hrrm, this is untested by me--used to work in screen IIRC, so should work with tmux new -s mysession

Then you can log in and do tmux a -t mysession

(With screen I think--I've switched over to tmux so have forgotten screen syntax, but I think I remember this one)

screen -S mysession

Then you log in through ssh and

screen -a mysession

Hrrmm, maybe it's screen -x mysession

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/VNC-Server

discusses an always-on option, but I haven't used it.

Mr_Si
25th April 2011, 06:14 PM
Hi all, thanks for your answers so far,

I shall look at "Screen" and "tmux"

The only thing I've done so far is use TeamViewer, as that's something the company I work for uses to support users who are not in their offices.

@ smr54, it's not that I don't WANT xorg running, it's that it's Fedora 14 and by default it doesn't run that display / mouse / keyboard manager anymore. It uses something else, which seems to work really well, it's one of the Only distros that was able to display correctly on my Nvidia 5750 card with BOTH monitors, rather than on one fine but on the other, some nasty graphical mess. Therefore, if it ain't broke...

:)

I'll look into screen though.

foottuns
25th April 2011, 06:17 PM
stick with Teamviewer it does the job....