PDA

View Full Version : new and kernel upgrading

ltodd2
7th November 2004, 12:16 AM
Hello all

Im new ish to linux and have a few questions about the kernal and upgrading.

I installed FC2 the other week. Im using a dell d600 laptop and it has a built in intel pro 220bg card and I have a usr 5410 card. My first job was to get wireless working hmmm.

I found a link to some 3rd party software for my usr card. installed it and it was complaining about the kernal only having 4k stacks. I installed a 16k stack kernel from there site and the card worked but i never got wep etc. Due to other reasons i had to swap the laptop so have have now started again. This is were im confuesed.

I thought I would upgrade the kernel so i downloaded the src from kernel.org for 2.6.9 and installed it. all is ok I think. I have now run the update system and it is saying I should update the kernel using rpm from fedora. is this the best way?

If it is should i remove my 2.6.9 and install this one form fedora site? it is a lower version than i have on now.

On this how do you remove a kernel, im not sure on all the in and outs of it as in where it installes bits etc. When i installed the one from kernel.org the un tar'd files were about 120meg. once i have compiled and installed that directory was about 1.1 gig. do i need to keep it? what can i remove.
I forgot to say where can i find out what in the fedora kernel. is it still 4k stacks or 16 k now. is the radio part on for wireless on etc.

Thanks

Lee

Dog-One
7th November 2004, 05:09 AM
I thought I would upgrade the kernel so i downloaded the src from kernel.org for 2.6.9 and installed it. all is ok I think. I have now run the update system and it is saying I should update the kernel using rpm from fedora. is this the best way?Generally yes, but not if you want or need a later version kernel. I'm running the 2.6.9 kernel with FC2 at the moment and I get the same message (that I routinely ignore). I'm using the newer kernel because it has the on-demand power management feature that isn't available any other way.

If it is should i remove my 2.6.9 and install this one form fedora site? it is a lower version than i have on now.

On this how do you remove a kernel, im not sure on all the in and outs of it as in where it installes bits etc. When i installed the one from kernel.org the un tar'd files were about 120meg. once i have compiled and installed that directory was about 1.1 gig. do i need to keep it? what can i remove.Since you made it this far in downloading, compiling and installing the new kernel, I see no reason to go back. You may want to just remove the kernel source to recover some disk space. This can be done with a simple /bin/rm -r /usr/src/linux-2.6.9. However, if there is something you need to change about the running kernel you have now, you may at least want to keep the tarball that you downloaded from kernel.org.

I forgot to say where can i find out what in the fedora kernel. is it still 4k stacks or 16 k now. is the radio part on for wireless on etc.I really can't say. If you could give me a URL that describes what you're referring to, I'll take a closer look.

ltodd2
8th November 2004, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the reply dog-one

The card I have is a usr 5410 and the link form the site is http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/. Here is some software to allow the loading of the windows sys etc files. I used their kernel the first time but sine i have now compiled my own may try it again with this.
Dont suppose there is a good site that explain all the options for the kernel as I dont know what half of them are.

Thnaks

Lee